Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

what do you think I need for making high hp?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 12:25 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have looked for data on the Brian Crower cams to do a more thorough analyis on them. However, the only information posted on their website is the duration, adv. duration and lift. Does anybody have data on the lobe separation angles for the BC cams that they can share??? If so, I'll compute the rest of the cam parameters and post them.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:29 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

[QUOTE=RudeG_v2.0;7759094]LOL At the rate you are going... you will surpass Scott in no time!

What is that supposed to mean???
Old 09-18-2009, 12:39 PM
go-fast
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
I have looked for data on the Brian Crower cams to do a more thorough analyis on them. However, the only information posted on their website is the duration, adv. duration and lift. Does anybody have data on the lobe separation angles for the BC cams that they can share??? If so, I'll compute the rest of the cam parameters and post them.
you can't calculate ramp rate without mapping the the actual cam personally.without this info the rest is just about useless against another cam.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:39 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

That's because you would't even understand what he was even talking about.
You have no idea who you are talking to. He is an OG in this industry and way out of your league.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:49 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by go-fast
you can't calculate ramp rate without mapping the the actual cam personally.
I agree.

without this info the rest is just about useless against another cam
I disagree.

Knowing the lobe separation angle and amouint of valve overlap still can be informative and help someone to select the approprate cam for them. For example, generally speaking, a 272 deg. cam with 30 degrees of valve overlap at TDC is going to idle better than a 272 deg. cam with 40 degrees of valve overlap. However, the cam with the greater overlap likely will provide better high end performance, assuming reversion does not become an issue.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:57 PM
go-fast
Banned

I agree.

I disagree.

Knowing the lobe separation angle and amouint of valve overlap still can be informative and help someone to select the approprate cam for them. For example, generally speaking, a 272 deg. cam with 30 degrees of valve overlap at TDC is going to idle better than a 272 deg. cam with 40 degrees of valve overlap. However, the cam with the greater overlap likely will provide better high end performance, assuming reversion does not become an issue.
what if i told you that you can design a camshaft that measures .485 lift but achieves an actual .520 lift?where does your "advertised" math get you now?
Old 09-18-2009, 12:58 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

spring dynamics are not something exclusive to jw.check and see if he winds his own springs,because this is the only way for him to provide some top secret formula.....even if he did (which he doesn't,he buy's them like you and me) he's following the same rules of metalurgy as everyone else.
so,now you tell me how he manufactures camblanks that only function with propietary springs and i'll give you a biscuit.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:00 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

what if i told you that you can design a camshaft that measures .485 lift but achieves an actual .520 lift?where does your "advertised" math get you now?
More lift, I presume. Where are you going with this? It's unclear what you are trying to say.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:02 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
^^^^

Don't think so.

He is selecting springs in which the spring harmonics work well with his cam profiles. In other words, he has done the analysis to know which spring profile and spring rate works well accross his product line. If you randomly select some other spring without doing this analysis, you may get it right, you may get it wrong. Why is that so hard to understand???

Last edited by ttg35fort; 09-18-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:14 PM
go-fast
Banned

More lift, I presume. Where are you going with this? It's unclear what you are trying to say.
no not more lift,that's my whole point about ramp rate.i'm trying to tell you advertised math does not speak to the nature of the camshaft.call it ballpark info at best.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:19 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

LOL At the rate you are going... you will surpass Scott in no time!
What is that supposed to mean???
I thought it was pretty clear what I meant.

Maybe you don't realize it... But you have been coming across lately as a huge JWT fanboy/nutswinger. Sorry if that offends you. I thought it was worth pointing out that not everybody (including some of the top shops in this community) are convinced of JWT's superiority and that some of us have a problem with Jim's shady business associations (and therefore won't buy or support his products).

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 09-18-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:20 PM
go-fast
Banned

^^^^

Don't think so.

He is selecting springs in which the spring harmonics work well with his cam profiles. In other words, he has done the analysis to know which spring profile and spring rate works well accross his product line. If you randomly select some other spring without doing this analysis, you may get it right, you may get it wrong. Why is that so hard to understand???
i think if you understood how narrow the range of choices there where it would be easier to understand that jim wolf and his "harmonics" are blowing smoke up your @ss.this is all i was trying to say,i have no idea why you make calling bs on jw personal.

you should be angry with him for trying to sell you magic beans
Old 09-18-2009, 01:27 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

no not more lift,that's my whole point about ramp rate.
You said "a camshaft that measures .485 lift but achieves an actual .520 lift?"

Is .520 lift not greater than .485 lift????????

i'm trying to tell you advertised math does not speak to the nature of the camshaft.call it ballpark info at best.
Well, ballpark information is better than nothing.

Maybe you don't care about these parameters. That's fine.

But go outside our little VQ community, and yes, there is A LOT of evidence that valve overlap and valve separation angle do make a difference on a motors performance, even when all other things are equal. The guys who really know their **** take all of this into consideration when building a motor.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:31 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

I thought it was pretty clear what I meant.

Maybe you don't realize it... But you have been coming across lately as a huge JWT fanboy/nutswinger. Sorry if that offends you. I thought it was worth pointing out that not everybody (including some of the top shops in this community) are convinced of JWT's superiority and that some of us have a problem with Jim's shady business associations (and therefore won't buy or support his products).
The reason I have pointed out the JWT cams is because:

1. He publishes alot of information about his cams, which others don't.

2. For the same duration, those cams typically provide greater lift. Lift is important.

3. I always note that they are limited to about 7500 rpm and that if you want something to go beyond that, look at GTM and BC cams.

4. Other than JWT cams and an oil spacer, I don't have anything else that is JWT. In fact, I have a GTM motor and a GTM turbo kit. I probably use the term GTM in this forum alot more than JWT.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 09-18-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:40 PM
go-fast
Banned

You said "a camshaft that measures .485 lift but achieves an actual .520 lift?"

Is .520 lift not greater than .485 lift????????

yes .520 is greater lift....this is my ramp rate point....your starting to get it.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:43 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

^^^^

Don't think so.

Let's see...

You are an attorney by trade IIRC and go-fast is a renowned engine builder beyond just the VQ platform with a waiting list of customers. Now who should we listen to and believe? I tried to warn you about continuing to argue with go-fast. Keep arguing with an expert in this industry and dig that hole deeper.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:48 PM
go-fast
Banned

Let's see...

You are an attorney by trade IIRC and go-fast is a renowned engine builder beyond just the VQ platform with a waiting list of customers. Now who should we listen to and believe? I tried to warn you about continuing to argue with go-fast. Keep arguing with an expert in this industry and dig that hole deeper.
he's not arguing,he just doesn't understand.jw sold him a speech about magic beans need magic soil or some crap like that and he's finally coming around
Old 09-18-2009, 01:49 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi Raj, you didn't look good enough.

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...INCL_REVUP.pdf

In the lower right hand boxes for each of the C2, C8, C9 and C1HR cams, it states: "MUST USE JWT SPRINGS". The box for the S2 cams does not state ths.

I spoke with Jim Wolf months ago about the C8 cams. I asked him whether it would be worthwhile to use stiffer springs with the cams to get more RPM out of them. He specifically told me not to because his springs were designed to be harmonically balance with his cams. He said using other springs probably would be counter-productive.
Terry the point is that there is no written documentation that states that you should NOT use anything other than XXX springs with YYY cams.

For S2 cams, it does not say that they REQUIRE stock cams nor does it say that you cannot use JWT springs.

I am dubious that the springs are part of the design for eliminating unwanted harmonics. As long as the spring helps the entire valvetrain to stay in contact with one another, I think they are serving their purpose - no more, no less. I respect what Jim Wolf has to say, but I won't believe it just because he feels it is "probably" true especially when he has a product to sell.

Here is a well written site on cam analysis and cam springs:

http://www.tildentechnologies.com/Te...CamBasics.html

http://www.tildentechnologies.com/Te...amSprings.html

Here is what they have to say about valve springs in relation to cams with higher lift:

Higher engine speeds require stiffer springs, but higher lifts lead to higher spring forces, so weaker springs can be used.
If I were building a high revving motor (above 7500 rpms), I would use BC valve springs regardless of the cam I selected, JWT or otherwise. If you find hard data that argues against this, always happy to take a fresh look.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:51 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

yes .520 is greater lift....this is my ramp rate point....your starting to get it.
That is one more reason why selecting the right spring is important. You don't want the lifter (or in our case the bucket), launching off the end of the lobe.

Although a spring has a spring constant K, under dynamic conditions the spring is not so constant. E.g.,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Npz...om=PL&index=16

If there is a spring harmonic which causes the spring to compress right about the time the top of the lobe is coming across the bucket, you are going to have a problem.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:52 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Let's see...

I was an engineer for alot of years...

Quick Reply: what do you think I need for making high hp?