Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

what do you think I need for making high hp?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 07:32 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
ONLY USE JWT VALVE SPRINGS ON JWT HIGH PERFORMANCE CAMS (e.g., C2, C8, C9, and maybe some others). The JWT springs are harmonically balanced to work with their cams, which typically have much greater lift than any of the other cams out there with equivalent duration. For example, the C9 cams have 13.11 mm of lift with a 283.5 duration, while the C8 cams have 12.01 mm lift and 272 duration. If you try to use BC valve springs with JWT cams, you might run into problems. I think there is a video on Youtube that shows what happens to valve springs that are not harmonically balanced. If I find the video, I'll post the link.
I couldn't find any warning to this effect on the JWT site. I ended up calling and talked to Clark Steppler at length about JWT cams and he never mentioned this potential incompatibility. I asked him about using JWT springs with S2 JWT cams even though it wasn't required and he mentioned that it wouldn't hurt but might cost a few hp. I figured to allow spinning up past 7k rpms, it was a safe investment.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:47 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
I couldn't find any warning to this effect on the JWT site. I ended up calling and talked to Clark Steppler at length about JWT cams and he never mentioned this potential incompatibility. I asked him about using JWT springs with S2 JWT cams even though it wasn't required and he mentioned that it wouldn't hurt but might cost a few hp. I figured to allow spinning up past 7k rpms, it was a safe investment.
Hi Raj, you didn't look good enough.

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...INCL_REVUP.pdf

In the lower right hand boxes for each of the C2, C8, C9 and C1HR cams, it states: "MUST USE JWT SPRINGS". The box for the S2 cams does not state ths.

I spoke with Jim Wolf months ago about the C8 cams. I asked him whether it would be worthwhile to use stiffer springs with the cams to get more RPM out of them. He specifically told me not to because his springs were designed to be harmonically balance with his cams. He said using other springs probably would be counter-productive.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 09-18-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:58 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by 350zzzgunnar
Well, yor are probably right. I'll guess I really don't know what to choose and dynos would be a great help.

Thanx you're soooo helpfull

Now I'm into geting a new block, since I found a shop that has huge experience in sleeving. So billet girdle and rear coolant bypass is to be fitted in. in. Guess new fan is needed as well?
Plan to sleeve and put in Carillo rods, what Carillo type do you recommend? And new pistons, Arias extreme (96mm/8.6:1)?
Personally, I prefer Wiseco pistons over Arias. In fact, on my 4.0L short block GTM is building, even though they had Arias pistons in stock when they started the build, I told him to wait for the Wisecos.

Carillo rods area a little pricey, and I'm not sure that the Carillo rods are going to be any stronger than Eagle rods. I think XKR was getting over 800 whp with the Eagle rods in his last build. If you want rods that are stronger than Eagle, then you may want to take a look at Pauter rods. I beleive that they are a little heaver, though.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 09-18-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:06 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
I have JWT valve springs and stock cams....I never even thought it could be an issue. I guess I'm f'd if I want to use BC cams without tearing down the motor.
Unless you plan on spinning past 7500 rpm, why not use JWT cams? They provide more lift for the same duration. Read the article I posted the link too. It is very informative.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:28 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Unless you plan on spinning past 7500 rpm, why not use JWT cams? They provide more lift for the same duration. Read the article I posted the link too. It is very informative.
Because not everybody is a fan of JWT. Not a single JWT product has proven itself to be superior to everything else available on the market... whether it be their cams, turbo kits, intakes, etc. Myself and many others don't buy into the JWT hype.

Furthermore, Jim Wolf has shown himself to be a morally bankrupt asshat who continued to support VRT and Relentless Autosports/Scott Bush, two of the biggest scammers in our community, even after they were exposed and brought to his attention numerous times. This is why I will not recommend JWT products or support his company. There are better products available out there by companies who are not in bed with scammers.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:46 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Because not everybody is a fan of JWT. Not a single JWT product has proven itself to be superior to everything else available on the market... whether it be their cams, turbo kits, intakes, etc. Myself and many others don't buy into the JWT hype.
With a Greddy TD05-18G TT kit, my JWT C2 cams got me to over 600 whp on a Mustang dyno using 93 octane, NO spray, on a 3.5L VQ motor.

I have not yet seen a BC cam do that. If you know of one, please post a link.

If you ever personally speak with Jim Wolf himself, you might change your mind...

EDIT:

Also note Sharif's comment here about the JWT C8 cams:

https://my350z.com/forum/6375106-post23.html

Here is Sharif stated: "yes those C8 cams really transform the power band. You loose a little of the nastiness in the low midrange, but the thing pulls like a freight train at the higher revs."

The JWT cams have proved themselves very well.

Also, based on the post below by Sharif, it appears that XKR had JWT C2 cams in his last 800 whp build, and it looks like the JWT C8 cams are in his new build shooting for 950+ whp:

https://my350z.com/forum/7309411-post24.html

I beleive that the JWT cams will prove themselves yet once again with Mike's build, and after that with my 4.0L new build (the motor is in process at GTM and should be shipping this month).

Last edited by ttg35fort; 09-18-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:19 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

With a Greddy TD05-18G TT kit, my JWT C2 cams got me to over 600 whp on a Mustang dyno using 93 octane, NO spray, on a 3.5L VQ motor.

I have not yet seen a BC cam do that. If you know of one, please post a link.

If you every personally speak with Jim Wolf himself, you might change your mind...
Terry,

I know you haven't been around here as long as some of us. So perhaps you don't know the full stories of JWT's affiliations with VRT and RA/Scott Bush. But they stink rotten. Numerous people have spoken to Jim personally over the years about VRT and then RA/Scott Bush. Every time, Jim shut them down or quickly changed the subject. So... Regardless of how nice and pleasant Jim may be to speak with, it doesn't change the history or evidence of Jim's shady business associations with two of the biggest scammers in our community.

The only person who pushed JWT products and name dropped Jim Wolf more than you... is Scott Bush himself! LOL

Also, just because JWT puts something in a PDF file doesn't automatically make it gospel. All 3 current members of the 1,000+whp club as well as the highest horsepower Greddy 18G car on this board (Alberto) have BC cams in their cars. That's good enough for me.

</p>

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 09-18-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:30 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

All 3 members of the 1,000+whp club as well as the highest horsepower Greddy 18G car on this board (Alberto) have BC cams in their cars. That's good enough for me.
</p>
What's Alberto pushing on 93 octane without meth or nos?
Old 09-18-2009, 11:36 AM
go-fast
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He specifically told me not to because his springs were designed to be harmonically balance with his cams. He said using other springs probably would be counter-productive.

snicker,snicker......if someone said this to my face i'm not sure if i would laugh or smash them in the head with their camshaft......maybe both....i'm not sure which one first though.....i think laugh first then smash....no, wait,smash then laugh....yeah definitely smash then laugh.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:42 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

What's Alberto pushing on 93 octane without meth or nos?
Alberto doesn't use NO2 to my knowledge. His low boost setting makes a tad over 600whp. Not sure if he uses meth on that low boost map. Maybe he can chime in.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:48 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

The only person who pushed JWT products and name dropped Jim Wolf more than you... is Scott Bush himself! LOL
I just searched. I have used the name "Jim Wolf" in 12 (now 13) out of 1042 posts. That does not sound like a lot of name dropping to me.

Also, you fail to note that I don't only recommend JWT cams, I also have, on multiple occasions, recommended BC cams and GTM cams to people running over 7500 rpm. You seemed to gloss over that point. E.g.,

https://my350z.com/forum/6823814-post5.html

https://my350z.com/forum/7718846-post7.html

Now, for BriGuyMax, he already has JWT springs as he mentioned. What do you propose he should do in his situation? Please share your wealth of knowledge. Also, provide some real analysis and reasoning behind it.

On that note, have you really done any serious research into the differences between the cams we use? Other than the published data, do you know what the differences between various cam choices are?

Last edited by ttg35fort; 09-18-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:58 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by go-fast
snicker,snicker......if someone said this to my face i'm not sure if i would laugh or smash them in the head with their camshaft......maybe both....i'm not sure which one first though.....i think laugh first then smash....no, wait,smash then laugh....yeah definitely smash then laugh.

I was waiting to see what an authority on the matter would have to say about this!

I think folks should take what Jim Wolf says with a grain of salt. He's not the only authority nor the end all and be all in the performance aftermarket. Not saying that his products suck, but his business ethics do.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:59 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by go-fast
That's because you would't even understand what he was even talking about.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mustang dynos can be manipulated to read differently like DD setups. Inputting different vehicle weight alone can do that on those dynos. Who TRULY knows if your Mustang dyno was calibrated to read low, normal or high? Without making this a numbers war, as I could give a fawk less about dyno numbers, to answer the question...

My car makes 656whp @ 16psi staright pump gas. 605whp @ 13psi.

My car made 75+whp more at 13psi with BC3 cams and a different tuner on the same engine and the same turbo kit as it did on JWT cams. If you like JWT cams, cool, if not thats fine too.

As far as quoting Sharif that is weak, his opinion is respected but he isnt always right. Like when he built Louie's car and told me the JWt 850 kit would pull me hard up top and then I went out and raped him on measly 18g's...ahh the good old days. Or when he told me my car (after new setup) was a beast up top and I drove it and lost my chubby, I hit it and was like "wtf is this 460whp?!?"
Old 09-18-2009, 12:04 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by Alberto
My car made 75+whp more at 13psi with BC3 cams and a different tuner on the same engine and the same turbo kit as it did on JWT cams.
Which JWT cams?

The BC stage 3 cams are 272 duration. The equivalents would be the JWT C8 cams. Are these the ones you had?

If not, it's an apples to oranges comparison.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 09-18-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

S1

The S1 made NASTY midrange, the BC's have a better TQ curve and peak but it doesnt feel that way from behind the wheel. Everything is a compromise, I dont diss JWT, I loved em, now I like BC's more...
Old 09-18-2009, 12:15 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

S1

The S1 made NASTY midrange, the BC's have a better TQ curve and peak but it doesnt feel that way from behind the wheel. Everything is a compromise, I dont diss JWT, I loved em, now I like BC's more...
The S1 cams are relatively mild. The fair comparison would be the C8's since they are the same duration.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:19 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

My car makes 656whp @ 16psi staright pump gas. 605whp @ 13psi.
By the way, nice power. What kind dyno was it measured on?
Old 09-18-2009, 12:22 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

I just searched. I have used the name "Jim Wolf" in 12 (now 13) out of 1042 posts. That does not sound like a lot of name dropping to me.

Also, you fail to note that I don't only recommend JWT cams, I also have, on multiple occasions, recommended BC cams and GTM cams to people running over 7500 rpm. You seemed to gloss over that point. E.g.,

https://my350z.com/forum/6823814-post5.html

https://my350z.com/forum/7718846-post7.html

Now, for BriGuyMax, he already has JWT springs as he mentioned. What do you propose he should do in his situation? Please share your wealth of knowledge. Also, provide some real analysis and reasoning behind it.

On that note, have you really done any serious research into the differences between the cams we use? Other than the published data, do you know what the differences between various cam choices are?
LOL At the rate you are going... you will surpass Scott in no time! And you seem to be glossing over JWT's shady associations. That matters to some of us, regardless of how good JWT products might be.

I've seen numerous builds and dyno charts over the years with various cam choices, both on and off of the forums. I have seen that my shop has a tendency to prefer Tomei and BC cams for their builds. My shop's history of accomplishments and their reputation speak for themselves, so that is good enough for me.

As for Bri... I saw nothing wrong with his cam choice and didn't feel the need to suggest a different cam for him, like I did for the OP.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 09-18-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:23 PM
go-fast
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's because you would't even understand what he was even talking about.

spring dynamics are not something exclusive to jw.check and see if he winds his own springs,because this is the only way for him to provide some top secret formula.....even if he did (which he doesn't,he buy's them like you and me) he's following the same rules of metalurgy as everyone else.
so,now you tell me how he manufactures camblanks that only function with propietary springs and i'll give you a biscuit.

Quick Reply: what do you think I need for making high hp?