Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

what do you think I need for making high hp?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:49 PM
go-fast
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
Is the solution always just to increase the spring rate? Perhaps that always works. Even if it does, is it the best solution?
i'll answer because you asked before i told you i give up.

high spring rate is a detriment,a band aid.you want the lowest pressure possible that does not induce float.dimensionally you are limited to spring mods considering spring installed height,od and id and all three are more or less consistent with oe.your left with number of coils and coil thickness with variations on a theme based on metalurgy.the window is small for adjustment and basing your decisions on increasing rpm range (float prevention) it gets even smaller.so for jw to say he has some special formula is bunk,he came to the same conclusions that anyone with an advanced understanding of spring rates and fatigue resistance would.and guess what....the harmonics will be great.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:55 PM
go-fast
Banned

^^^

Actually, the conversation opened up with you telling me JW needs to be beaten over the head with the cams, or something along those lines.
go-fast.....out!
Old 09-18-2009, 11:16 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those interested, some technical information from Ferrea. There is similar information posted by other manufacturers:

http://www.ferrea.com/products.php#vsprings

"Harmonics or high frequency fatigue is present in all racing engines and will usually destroy the valvetrain if not controlled. Properly designed valve springs will control the dominant harmonics, provide the needed stability, and reduce valvetrain component wear."

This is not magic, but certainly describes what is meant by "harmonically balanced".
Old 09-18-2009, 11:20 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by go-fast
go-fast.....out!
I'm signing out too.

No hard feelings on my end. Hope you don't bear any. Debates like this often prove to be very fruitful.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:07 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

For those interested, some technical information from Ferrea. There is similar information posted by other manufacturers:

"Harmonics or high frequency fatigue is present in all racing engines and will usually destroy the valvetrain if not controlled. Properly designed valve springs will control the dominant harmonics, provide the needed stability, and reduce valvetrain component wear."

This is not magic, but certainly describes what is meant by "harmonically balanced".
congrats on finding information that proves there is nothin special from jwt

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 09-19-2009 at 04:10 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:04 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
^^^^^^

Ignorance is bliss.

Let me guess, you use BC cams and you have no idea of what your valve overlap or lobe separation angle is, right...

Oh I forgot, although it makes a significant difference in every other kind of motor, here in VQ lah, lah land it doesn't matter...

(Can't wait to see what this come back will be. I'll lay odds 20 to 1 it will be a personal attack without actually any actual facts to back it up. Once we start getting technical, you'll jump behind a "I won't be bated" comment, or something similar.)

Last edited by ttg35fort; 09-19-2009 at 06:10 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:44 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by str8dum1
^ ya and thats why stock cam cars make AWESOME power past 6500 rpms

With big turbos they do...run along...
Old 09-19-2009, 07:46 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally have really enjoyed the cam discussion in this thread. I do pretty much all the work on my car, but as far as the real technical nitty gritty things like cam specs, I'm not as versed.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:55 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by go-fast
the first critical bit of info needed is jw doesn't have special harmonic springs.the second is cam card info is a loose description when it comes to identifying a cam.third but not least,motors should be built around a cam design,you can't just put a bigger cam in and expect it to work

i know what you are asking for and i told you 12 hrs ago,the only way to get the info you seek is to map YOUR cams personally.you will then have an acurate baseline and be able to use other datalogs to fine tune to a more desireable profile based on your motors individual needs.

i have been very accomodating to you especially considering this conversation opened with you telling me i don't know what i'm talking about.i put that aside and helped you anyway,but i'm concluding that you don't want to "get it" and am giving up.g'luck

there is no answer to "who makes the best cam",every app is different(even with similiar parts)

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
^^^^^^

Ignorance is bliss.

Let me guess, you use BC cams and you have no idea of what your valve overlap or lobe separation angle is, right...

Oh I forgot, although it makes a significant difference in every other kind of motor, here in VQ lah, lah land it doesn't matter...

(Can't wait to see what this come back will be. I'll lay odds 20 to 1 it will be a personal attack without actually any actual facts to back it up. Once we start getting technical, you'll jump behind a "I won't be bated" comment, or something similar.)
Quit being a douchebag and a stereotypical attorney who can't accept losing an argument.

Your own post about Ferrea backs up what go-fast kept trying to tell you and Jorge was pointing that out. JWT, BC, and Ferrea springs are all harmonically balanced!!! But not special or excusive to any specific cam brand!!! Afterall, Ferrea doesn't make cams for the VQ, nor do they make springs specific to a particular brand of cam. So does that mean we should not use Ferrea valve springs in combo with JWT cams or BC cams? Of course not!!!

Some of us (Jorge and I included) put our faith in our shop to know these things for us and to recommend which cams/springs they think are best for our application. If you think you know more than the guys at Intense Power, that just proves your utter arrogance and ignorance.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 09-19-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know of a guy with approx 10K miles on a built setup. 600-860whp power levels. BC2 cams, STOCK springs revving to 8500rpm's. It's no dyno queen he races, what do you doubters have to say about that?

We can turn this into a 10 page technical thread, or we can talk about what people are actually doing that are actually pushing their cars, and everyone can then decide for themselves what works.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Japtrix
Banned

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Quit being a douchebag and a stereotypical attorney who can't accept losing an argument.

Your own post about Ferrea backs up what go-fast kept trying to tell you and Jorge was pointing that out. JWT, BC, and Ferrea springs are all harmonically balanced!!! But not special or excusive to any specific cam brand!!! Afterall, Ferrea doesn't make cams for the VQ, nor do they make springs specific to a particular brand of cam. So does that mean we should not use Ferrea valve springs in combo with JWT cams or BC cams? Of course not!!!

Some of us (Jorge and I included) put our faith in our shop to know these things for us and to recommend which cams/springs they think are best for our application. If you think you know more than the guys at Intense Power, that just proves your utter arrogance and ignorance.
As I stated, ignorance is bliss.

It's not just being harmonically balanced, it's selecting the springs that are harmonically balanced with the particular cams you are running. Just because spring A is harmonically balance with cam A does not mean it will be harmonically balanced with cam B. It might be, but then it might not be. Someone always can take the risk and hope for the best. If the cams are sufficiently similar, it may not be a problem.

Do some research on the subject... but then again, it is much easier to sit back and criticize. Any douchebag can do that!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2009, 11:26 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by Alberto
I know of a guy with approx 10K miles on a built setup. 600-860whp power levels. BC2 cams, STOCK springs revving to 8500rpm's. It's no dyno queen he races, what do you doubters have to say about that?

We can turn this into a 10 page technical thread, or we can talk about what people are actually doing that are actually pushing their cars, and everyone can then decide for themselves what works.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:31 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you show me multiple dynos, I am genuinely interested.

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
With big turbos they do...run along...
Old 09-19-2009, 12:05 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by Alberto
+1

I've said my piece.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:06 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Just a note, the post listed from Japtrix actually was me. I used there computer when I was down there today.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:17 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by Japtrix
As I stated, ignorance is bliss.

It's not just being harmonically balanced, it's selecting the springs that are harmonically balanced with the particular cams you are running. Just because spring A is harmonically balance with cam A does not mean it will be harmonically balanced with cam B. It might be, but then it might not be. Someone always can take the risk and hope for the best. If the cams are sufficiently similar, it may not be a problem.

Do some research on the subject... but then again, it is much easier to sit back and criticize. Any douchebag can do that!!!!!!!
Uh huh. So I guess nobody should use Ferrea valve springs. I mean... look at all the failures attributed to them. No wonder Ferrea has such a bad reputation with their valve springs.[/sarcasm]
Old 09-19-2009, 01:32 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Here we go again...

Did I say use Ferrea valve springs??? I merely pointed to an example that clearly shows valve spring manufacturers are concerned with spring harmonics and it is not all just mumbo jumbo. But then again, you could not even understand that very simple example. I seriously doubt you even know what a harmonic is.

RudeG, ignore everything I have said, as you could never hope to ever come even close to understanding the physics involved. Mix and match cams and valve springs to your heart's content.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:52 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Is the solution always just to increase the spring rate? Perhaps that always works. Even if it does, is it the best solution? ...
Terry,

I recall a tech article that indicated that once you identified a resonance problem at a particular rpm, you could tune it out by selecting springs with a natural higher frequency (less mass, higher spring rate, etc) or dampening the vibrations with an additional spring mechanism. There are calculators online that can find the first resonant frequency for any spring if you know it's spring constant and mass. My understanding is that springs are designed such that the frequency during normal operation is at least a full order of magnitude below its first resonant frequency.

Thus I would hope any valve spring sold for the VQ would not have an issue anywhere below 10k rpms. I found no published specs to help confirm this though.

I still don't see how spring resonance has any direct bearing on the cam and visa versa (so long as the spring force is always greater than the inertial force on the valve generated by the cam).

EDIT: After posting this, I read the post by Japtrix above on the cam-spring harmonics being interrelated. Any links to documentation to support this?

EDIT 2: Missed Alberto's post. It would seem that even the stock springs are sufficient - tried and true (even if the data points are few). It is possible that it just so happens that the aftermarket springs/cams available today for the VQ have no incompatibilities. So far we have data that supports the use of JWT springs with JWT cams (even if springs not called for), stock springs with BC cams, BC springs with BC valves, and JWT springs with BC cams.

Last edited by rcdash; 09-19-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:58 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by rcdash
Terry,...
Raj, I just PM'd you a brief analysis. It gets into the concepts Fourier Series representation and Fourier Transform, so I left it off the boards. If anybody else is interested, just PM me. If enough people are interested, then I'll go ahead and post it.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 09-20-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:51 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

^^^^^^

Ignorance is bliss.

stop being a copy/paste guy here trying to act as if you had any real knowledge yourself....you can come up with all the theorical bs that is out there to wow you(for no other reason) but the facts are the the high end builds on the site, the 1000whp builds, they use a particular brand of cams, this are proven..... you shouldnt give a shlt about all the technical details if they are in fact proven for highrev very high whp builds... when you come up with a 1000whp build with jwt cams on a similar turbo kit same displacement and revs just as high, then you migth have an actual comparison to talk about....rather than the "becuase its the only cam with tech-info out its the best" kind of stupid arguement...

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 09-20-2009 at 07:53 AM.

Quick Reply: what do you think I need for making high hp?