Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

New winter new turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:13 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant wait to see result of MIs Kit..... BPFTW!
Old 01-31-2010, 12:02 PM
zmedic16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got a really good feeling about this kit. cant wait till the results are in. i was considering powerlab but after seein this setup and sein how easy it is to work on i want in.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:57 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks guys.

I am not so sure about Osiris any more. There really isn't much for base maps out there, and this is due to the OEM's MAF limitations. On top of that one would have to upgrade the MAF sonesor when going for more power.

I have also been lookning at the UTEC, and since the kit comes with 550cc injectors, it will be very easy to get a base map.

BTW, these will be the injector options: 360cc 550cc 750cc and 1100cc. They are the EV14 Bosch injectors and will come with clips.

So with injectors, fuel pump and UTEC one would be looking at a complete kit. Looking at a price of about $5450 or less. I will have to see what kind of a deal I can get on the UTEC's.

This makes the kit one of the cheapest out there, with greater potential.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:36 PM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Boosted, i was curious about what you have in place to support the actual turbo. I know that you are def not relying on the strength of the piping alone to support it.
Is there a metal bracket or strap that you are using to support the turbo. Maybe something bolted up in the tunnel portion of the underside of the car. I just never got to see anything specific to that. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
Hey Boosted, i was curious about what you have in place to support the actual turbo. I know that you are def not relying on the strength of the piping alone to support it.
Is there a metal bracket or strap that you are using to support the turbo. Maybe something bolted up in the tunnel portion of the underside of the car. I just never got to see anything specific to that. Thanks.

With my original setup, the turbo was held in place by the entire exhaust system. The turbo weighs 20lbs, and if you think about it, it is not much extra weight once distributed over the entire length of the car.

However, with the new kits I will provide 2 additional hangers and they will go right after the turbo. This will provide a ton of additional support.

The end user will just bolt them around the existing exhaust. Something like this, just a bit more heavy duty:

You can see how I did the one below. This is where the additional support will go. The one below was a custom setup, with a 3" down pipe and no muffler. There are two bolts on each side of the drive shaft tunnel, and these will be bridged to accommodate the two hangers.

If you have any other questions do not hesitate to ask, I'll be more than happy to get back to you.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 01-31-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:03 PM
rrmedicx

Thank you for the quik response. I was also curious about the exhaust component. Not sure if anyone mentioned it before, but how does this Turbo Set-up tie into the exhaust equation? Will you have to run a single mid-pipe/cat-back exhaust or is it up to the end-user to fab up there own exhaust. Will you need to use stock exhaust?
I have been thinking about these issues for a while. Don't know why it took me so long to ask.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:27 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thank you for the quik response. I was also curious about the exhaust component. Not sure if anyone mentioned it before, but how does this Turbo Set-up tie into the exhaust equation? Will you have to run a single mid-pipe/cat-back exhaust or is it up to the end-user to fab up there own exhaust. Will you need to use stock exhaust?
I have been thinking about these issues for a while. Don't know why it took me so long to ask.
This was my old setup, and the new kit look will be the same, except the down pipe will be almost straight;

Basically, this down pipe (3") will bolt up to any exhaust (including OEM) that can be bolted up to the OEM Y-pipe. Personally, I bought a cheap ebay Megan Racing knock off for $200 (brand new) and have been very happy with it. It sounds just like stock, but quieter. I don't really need something that will wake the entire neighbourhood whe I pull up. So it ended up working out perfect. It also flows well, as my full boost mark went down 700rpm.

The whole idea is for the end user to have a simple bolt on turbo kit. You don't need to grind anything, cut anything, relocate anything (except the PS cooler and that goes with any kit and is very easy) or remove any OEM components to make this fit.

Keep in mind that there is a nice advantage to this kit over your top mount kits. The down pipe is much much shorter, and one can easly run a 4" exhaust if they wish, as there are no space restrictions all the way down.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 01-31-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:33 PM
GBoger

luv this thread!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Sasha,
your ideas and support always amaze me.. awesome work. I have no doubt it will make great power and will be very user friendly ..

taxes are coming back!.. tempting, tempting.. haha
Old 02-04-2010, 06:28 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thanks guys, support is half the battle.

I wanted to do a group buy in the near future, but it seems like the kits are selling as I make them. For the group buy, I wanted to have 4 kits ready to ship and if there is more interest I would take orders. I have to ramp up the production a bit.

One quick update though, not sure if I have mentioned this already but it looks like UTEC will be the EMS that comes with this kit. I really wanted to make it so the customers can install everything and drive the car to the dyno. With UTEC it will be very easy as there are bas maps available for the 550cc injectors that come with the kit. Uprev could not provide this.

So now you are looking at a complete turbo kit, with fuel support and EMS for under $5500.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 02-04-2010 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:58 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

+1 for BP, I finally started working on my Z after almost a month of waiting. This kit is beautiful. I am ecstatic to be the first to install.

I will be setting things up for ultra conservative this first year, I need a few more supporting mods to push this kit to the limits, ie triple carbon clutch, lots more fuel, dual pumps, etc, etc. This year I hope to see 500 whp on a conservative tune. That should keep me happy throughout the next few months.

On another positive note, to my calculations, I am removing 30lbs from the prior turbo kit, with my current setup I have shed 80 lbs in exhaust piping, turbos, and water lines, not to mention places the heaviest components lower and more central to the CG of the car.

Last edited by MI 35th; 02-04-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:09 PM
zmedic16

i dont think i have followed a thread so close since julian was still on the f.i forums.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:27 PM
rrmedicx

Originally Posted by zmedic16
i dont think i have followed a thread so close since julian was still on the f.i forums.
Would you buy the kit already. I think he has all of the bugs worked out and all of our questions answered so go ahead and bite the bullet already.

Buy IT!!!
Old 02-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Would you buy the kit already. I think he has all of the bugs worked out and all of our questions answered so go ahead and bite the bullet already.

Buy IT!!!

You are hired as my new sales manager.

On a side note, some of you have been asking about aftermarket headers and the compatibility with this kit. Well, I found a very good picture that puts that one to rest.

Looking at this picture, there are no clearance issues what so ever with aftermarket headers.

The IC piping going from the turbo to the IC runs below the engine mount, and as you can seel the header is above it. So, no issues there.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 02-04-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:12 PM
QuicksilverZ33

Originally Posted by MI 35th
+1 for BP, I finally started working on my Z after almost a month of waiting. This kit is beautiful. I am ecstatic to be the first to install.

I will be setting things up for ultra conservative this first year, I need a few more supporting mods to push this kit to the limits, ie triple carbon clutch, lots more fuel, dual pumps, etc, etc. This year I hope to see 500 whp on a conservative tune. That should keep me happy throughout the next few months.

On another positive note, to my calculations, I am removing 30lbs from the prior turbo kit, with my current setup I have shed 80 lbs in exhaust piping, turbos, and water lines, not to mention places the heaviest components lower and more central to the CG of the car.

Please post some pics and videos if possible!

Cant wait to see a dyno!
Old 02-05-2010, 02:05 PM
zmedic16

this is very good news. so any dc style header would work?
Originally Posted by Boosted Performance

You are hired as my new sales manager.

On a side note, some of you have been asking about aftermarket headers and the compatibility with this kit. Well, I found a very good picture that puts that one to rest.

Looking at this picture, there are no clearance issues what so ever with aftermarket headers.

The IC piping going from the turbo to the IC runs below the engine mount, and as you can seel the header is above it. So, no issues there.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by zmedic16
this is very good news. so any dc style header would work?
Correct. As you can see from that picture, the room requered to run the IC piping is still there. So, if you can bolt up the OEM exhaust system to whatever headers you get, the kit will fit fine.

This excludes long tube headers ofcourse.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Sasha, when you had the old kit in your car, there werent any over boosting problems were there? unlike the APS single
Old 02-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Vas_Z33
Sasha, when you had the old kit in your car, there werent any over boosting problems were there? unlike the APS single
No problems at all. I used the smaller 38mm wastegate too, and at only 4 psi of boost (at first) it would have shown up as a problem for sure.

With lower boost much of the exhaust gas has to be dumped through the waste gate, and the 38mm did the job just fine. The higher you go up in boost the less liketly you are to have boost spike issues. The turbo needs more of that exhaust gas to go through the turbine, to produce the boost.

The only issues I ever had was the oil, and this was do to a kinked hose going from the turbo to the scavenge pump. With the new kits, that issue is completely eliminated since all the oil lines are braided stainless steel. There is also the reservoir under the turbo with a breather.

BTW, I spent the day making jigs for the exhaust sections. It was a real PITA to make them but they work very well. I made a few driver side sections and a few crossover sections, and they all bolt up just perfect. This will greatly decrease production time. I still have to make two more jigs though, and that is very time consuming. It took me all day just to make the two. In the end it is still worth it.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 02-06-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:31 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
I have to play around with it but I think with the smaller IC you would be able to keep your crash bar in place. There is such a thing as too big of an intercooler, so this one is much more suited for those going with a stock block. Why run a IC that will support over 1000hp if you are only planing on being at 400hp.

Same goes for turbos.
sorry i'm delayed at responding/thinking about this. I've been too busy lately.

So the large intercooler requires a person to remove the crash bar? so i guess that would be 1 small negative about the large intercooler even though that small aluminum bar isn't going to do much in an accident over 10mph.

I'm not sure i follow how there can be too big of an intercooler. Having the most cooling possible should be the best way. Money aside I would think there wouldn't be any downfall to running the biggest intercooler possible.

what exactly does a larger intercooler do to a system? I guess if it's "huge" it would make a tiny amount of lag due to the extra volume of air in the charge tube that needs to be compressed. Similar to the effect of all the tubing on rear mount turbos. I wouldn't see it being so severe to offset the additional cooling and flow though.

either way, i'm not arguing the fact, merely trying to figure out why it would be a bad thing based on how I think it would be affected. If the extra 100$ for a larger intercooler makes a difference in someon's choice they will hate life when they have to eat that cost plus the larger one if they choose to upgrade later.

Quick Reply: New winter new turbo build