Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

New winter new turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 08:11 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

loosing the bumper brace means more flexing across the front of the car and you also lose your tow hook mount. I get flatbedded like once a year with all my track time so thats a definite negative.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:34 PM
bldg250z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hands down to a good fabricator.... OP awesome work GL with everything
Old 02-06-2010, 11:11 PM
monk_13

BP,

Can you see any possible issues with this kit on a RHD Z? From what I have seen all of your pipework, in the engine bay, pretty much pretty much runs on the left hand side, so you guys have to avoid the steering column. Whereas RHD wouldn't have that problem.

I'm guessing the only possible thing RHD owners would have to watch would be the positioning of the pipes just after the headers, and the crossover pipe, as there is a slight difference between LHD and RHD.

Thoughts?
Old 02-07-2010, 07:21 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by binder
sorry i'm delayed at responding/thinking about this. I've been too busy lately.

So the large intercooler requires a person to remove the crash bar? so i guess that would be 1 small negative about the large intercooler even though that small aluminum bar isn't going to do much in an accident over 10mph.

I'm not sure i follow how there can be too big of an intercooler. Having the most cooling possible should be the best way. Money aside I would think there wouldn't be any downfall to running the biggest intercooler possible.

what exactly does a larger intercooler do to a system? I guess if it's "huge" it would make a tiny amount of lag due to the extra volume of air in the charge tube that needs to be compressed. Similar to the effect of all the tubing on rear mount turbos. I wouldn't see it being so severe to offset the additional cooling and flow though.

either way, i'm not arguing the fact, merely trying to figure out why it would be a bad thing based on how I think it would be affected. If the extra 100$ for a larger intercooler makes a difference in someon's choice they will hate life when they have to eat that cost plus the larger one if they choose to upgrade later.
Like with any other kit, when you decide to use a large intercooler the crash bar has to come off. There just isn't enough room, that is why the smaller one may be an option. Some people would like to keep the crash bar in place, with the stock block. A smaller FMIC will provide the cooling needed and at the same time retain the crash bar.

My theory is that if you don't plan on making 750whp, you don't need an intercooler to support it. The smaller IC is rated for 500, so more than enough to support boost on a stock block.

At the end, it's the customer's choice. All I can do is provide input.

Originally Posted by str8dum1
loosing the bumper brace means more flexing across the front of the car and you also lose your tow hook mount. I get flatbedded like once a year with all my track time so thats a definite negative.
The two sides are still connected through the intercooler and brackets that hold the intercoole in place. I am sure that I would be able to make a custom aluminium bar, but that would add to cost and is something most people are not concerned about.

Originally Posted by monk_13
BP,

Can you see any possible issues with this kit on a RHD Z? From what I have seen all of your pipework, in the engine bay, pretty much pretty much runs on the left hand side, so you guys have to avoid the steering column. Whereas RHD wouldn't have that problem.

I'm guessing the only possible thing RHD owners would have to watch would be the positioning of the pipes just after the headers, and the crossover pipe, as there is a slight difference between LHD and RHD.

Thoughts?
I honestly don't know how it would work with a RHD Z. Where is the starter on a RHD car? If you were able to provide me with a few pictures (LHD driver side) I would be able to give you a better answer, although still not 100%, but better than I don't know.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 02-07-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:18 AM
tig488

i had a custom steel bar for a while that replaced the front aluminum bumper, it was easy to make and cheap, any fabricator could build one for less than 50 bucks.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Nate76s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sasha, did you ever get your hands on that G? Did it bolt right up or did some modifications need to be made?
Old 02-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

He made a thread about it, should be on this page 1 or 2 of the this forum.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Nate76s
Sasha, did you ever get your hands on that G? Did it bolt right up or did some modifications need to be made?
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...me-g-love.html
Old 02-07-2010, 12:39 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
Like with any other kit, when you decide to use a large intercooler the crash bar has to come off. There just isn't enough room, that is why the smaller one may be an option. Some people would like to keep the crash bar in place, with the stock block. A smaller FMIC will provide the cooling needed and at the same time retain the crash bar.

My theory is that if you don't plan on making 750whp, you don't need an intercooler to support it. The smaller IC is rated for 500, so more than enough to support boost on a stock block.

At the end, it's the customer's choice. All I can do is provide input.
understandable. I was just inquiring as to the negative effects of a larger intercooler (intercooler alone, all other variables such as fitment aside). I'm new to forced induction on engines (not a lot of room or market for them on the bikes).

thanks for the response. So it doesn't look like this year i'll be making that switch to a turbo yet. I'm too swamped with school to even touch my car let alone do all this....plus i'm broke. Student loans don't go near as far as they make you think they do
Old 02-07-2010, 03:01 PM
monk_13

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance

I honestly don't know how it would work with a RHD Z. Where is the starter on a RHD car? If you were able to provide me with a few pictures (LHD driver side) I would be able to give you a better answer, although still not 100%, but better than I don't know.
I didn't even consider starter position. Will try and get some pics when I get home from work later on this week.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:17 PM
ITOzann

subscribed...
Old 02-07-2010, 07:00 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe there is an issue of intercooler efficiency. You get a certain amount of psi loss through the intercooler; the bigger the intercooler the more psi loss you get, but at the same token the better the cooling the bigger the intercooler. The trick is to use the biggest intercooler you can get with as little psi loss.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally Posted by binder
understandable. I was just inquiring as to the negative effects of a larger intercooler (intercooler alone, all other variables such as fitment aside). I'm new to forced induction on engines (not a lot of room or market for them on the bikes).
Old 02-08-2010, 12:46 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 350z006
I believe there is an issue of intercooler efficiency. You get a certain amount of psi loss through the intercooler; the bigger the intercooler the more psi loss you get, but at the same token the better the cooling the bigger the intercooler. The trick is to use the biggest intercooler you can get with as little psi loss.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

i thought the smaller the intercooler (and less it can flow) the greater the loss. I know the stock intercooler for stealth TT is around 7psi as tested by one of my local friends. They are tiny.

I might be wrong though. I think it has to do with the cfm it is rated at.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:41 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Got some news from my turbo suplier. Precision raised the prices on their turbos recently. So now it's $150 more for each turbo.

I am looking at switching over the BOV's from Tial 50mm to the HKS SSQV valve. This would offset the turbo price increase slightrly, and I don't have to change the final price of the kit.

Any objections to the HKS BOV's? Still a quality BOV, and sounds great (youtube).
Old 02-09-2010, 07:50 AM
FineWine

+1 on HKS BOV's sound quality.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:32 PM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Tial BOV is my favorite sound, also you can run a single Tial to huge pressure differentials without need of a second BOV.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:30 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by MI 35th
Tial BOV is my favorite sound, also you can run a single Tial to huge pressure differentials without need of a second BOV.
whats the status with u and getting numbers with this kit?
Old 02-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MI 35th
Don, this is true but the TT Greddy guys are using single SSQV vales without issues making 600whp also. So I guess it is a personal preference thing.

BTW, I will have to start taking deposits for those that would like to buy a kit. People tell me that they will send money (same day) so I end up running around getting everything together (purchasing parts) to find out a day or two later that they backed out.

This is just me wanting to be able to ship a kit ASAP, so I rush to get certain things done right away so that I can ship. Doesn't look like it will work too well.

Either way keep the PM's coming.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:46 PM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

I am back in cincy for the next two weeks, then out again for another month. I am tearing into the Z every spare second i have, but disassembling the old turbo kit is proving more difficult in this cold weather with little help.

Once i have the motor pulled, I will remove all the old stuff and install this kit on.

Side note, I have been rebuilding an Aprilia Tuono Factroy R motorcycle as well as a 14' Jet boat for this summer.
Both of those projects has hit much less in the speed bump range. I still have yet to figure out the horrific electrical problems I am having with the Z. Numbers ASAP.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Well guys, I am now looking at putting the car back together and on the ground. Since so many are looking forward to some numbers I think it would be best for me to get my car back to driving condition and to a dyno.

I would only dyno on wastegate spring pressure of .6bar (8.7psi) since I don't really want to blow the motor just yet. It would be on a Precision 6162E turbo as well, not the 6262E, since I don't have one here yet.

This would give you guys a good indication of power, spool and sound.

Quick Reply: New winter new turbo build