Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Longevity of full builds, the good the bad

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 06:58 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just goes to show that the "best of them" can and will make mistakes. We are all human...
Old 12-10-2009, 10:20 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I wish it was actually possible to find out what went wrong when a motor fails... speculation sucks. How can so many sleeved builds go wrong?

Alberto, I agree with you - cylinder temps are way past 250, so if anything, coolant hitting it (at any temp), would cool it down. With Evans, you didn't get a gas pocket forming, so something else is up... Perhaps the coolant flow design with sleeves is just poor. there is no end to the speculation...
Old 12-10-2009, 10:23 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If everyone quit sending their blown motors back to the same shop that built it for a teardown maybe you would get more info.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:19 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Unfortunately, if you send a blown motor for teardown inspection to a different shop, then often the original build shop will claim a conspiracy and cry foul against the inspecting shop...you can't win...

See Jzurita build thread as an example...

Originally Posted by djamps
If everyone quit sending their blown motors back to the same shop that built it for a teardown maybe you would get more info.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:39 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 350z006
Unfortunately, if you send a blown motor for teardown inspection to a different shop, then often the original build shop will claim a conspiracy and cry foul against the inspecting shop...you can't win...

See Jzurita build thread as an example...
Are they expecting a free motor or something?
Old 12-10-2009, 08:27 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My point is that the original build shop will often say that the inspecting shop has an agenda against the original shop, and that the inspecting shop is doctoring the results to put the blame on the original build shop and make them look bad....

An ideal situation is where the build shop and the customer agree on a neutral shop to do the inspection..,,

Are they expecting a free motor or something?
Old 12-10-2009, 11:56 PM
streetzlegend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My engine cranked 5-20-09, so about 7 months and ~6k miles.

Using castrol GTX 10w40 + comp cam breakin additive (switching to Rotella T tomorrow)

The build:
Wiseco 8.8:1 96mm
Eagle H beams
ACL bearings
HR headgasket + HR head bolts
stock heads

Dyno: none yet, but estimated around 400-430whp at 15psi from an HX35 Holset, not done with setup, so no dyno till then (should be soon)

Bore/hone was done at Mesa Balancing here in Miami, and balancing the rotating assembly was at Southflorida Automotive (Phil), all else done by myself (build, assembly, installation).
Also tuned by myself

Issues:
As far as motor itself, none. Just the normal minor piston slap at start up till it warms up.
I do have an oil leak but thats due to low quality silicone and inexperience (Ultra Black RTV > Ultra Grey). Iv put together VQ's a good amount of times with always using ultra black, the 1st time i use grey (since its what nissan recommends) it was failure, eventually i have to take it apart and redo silicone with black.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:15 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Not the case. It will end up in a "what came (failed) first, the chicken or the egg?" situation.

Also, most reputable shops are willing to help customers get back on the road, and by going to another shop most people wouldnt get "help" if you catch my drift.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:33 AM
AlwaysNBoost

Let me ask a question? Who is running sleeved motors right now that have been lasting problem free since they first built them? Also imo I think the issue with sleeving is when shops try to install the sleeves "in house" rather than sending the blocks to companies like darton right from the beginining, to have them properly installed.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:49 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

There arent many that I know of who meet the following criteria:

*Have sleeves
*Drive the car 4000+miles per year
*Drive the car HARD
*Run 550+whp power levels all the time, not some weaksauce low boost setting most of the time
Old 12-11-2009, 06:11 AM
AlwaysNBoost

Originally Posted by Alberto
There arent many that I know of who meet the following criteria:

*Have sleeves
*Drive the car 4000+miles per year
*Drive the car HARD
*Run 550+whp power levels all the time, not some weaksauce low boost setting most of the time
This why I keep telling you we gotta meet up lol but for real like berto said
*we need to know who has sleeves NOT HAD SLEEVES!
*tracks and races on the street,not tucking there car in a garage collecting dust
*and making over 550

on the real not trying to sound lilke a vtr pillow biter but how come this dude hasn't had any overheating or headlifting issues. I really can't talk for how hard the people that have their motors built by him drive their cars but his website guarantees that his motors DO NOT LIFT HEADS OVERHEAT OR SPIN BEARINGS? Would he be making this statement if he didnt know the cause of the problems with sleeves and high horsepower numbers? How come no other shops make this promise? Berto chime in tell me you're thoughts as i interested in knowing the same thing.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:14 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

I dont know enough about VTR to honestly give you my opinion of Vinny/his shop

I also dont know how his customers with sleeves truly treat their cars. Everybody can make promises and look legit. Soooo many shops on here brag about things and then tell customers to not run those dyno queen numbers ever, dont "abuse" the cars, etc. But that is really for another thread.

My opinion and most would agree. 98% of people, including me, dont need sleeves. Id be weary of any shop that is still promoting them for most standard builds.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:39 AM
AlwaysNBoost

what do you consider a "standard build"

The way I look at it anything over 650 should be sleeved IMO i dont care what people think that vq can hold on stock sleeves. Some people are these forums are looking at sleeves now as a possible cause for the overheating, whiich personally I dont blame them. I personally think its in the machining and inproperly installed sleeves bottom line. How can a shop like VTR make a promise of no spun bearings,no overheating and or lifting heads in big letters underlined on his website.

*As far as Vinny he is a stand up guy, but won't tell shop secrets as this is something that keeps him ahead of the game imo,
*As far as his customers driving their cars hard on sleeves? Well I know for a fact they have a small group of older gentleman that road race their cars,This imo is the hardest beatings you can put on a motor! Never heard or see them talking about overheating real talk!
*As far as you're set up old one and latest one ,you should have had sleeves imo you like to beat the $hit out of you're car just like I do! Thats my opinion so dont take offense. You like big power and having extra security in you're engine cant hurt(as long as everything is installed correctly) Can you confirm that it was the sleeves or are you still in the diagnosis period? Whatever the case maybe, you car has not only been setting an example but has shown so many of us to be wary of what you're doing this vq motors. They have a intricate cooling system and having high power expectations without the proper equipment may make or break you're engine (sleeved or unsleeved..) and real drivers in street driven cars put more stress on the motor than shop cars I dont care what anyone thinks this is why we may not see that many shop cars with overheats IMO!
Old 12-11-2009, 06:40 AM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree with Berto... a lot of shops say " dont abuse the car "... I just spent 20-25K on the build.. do you really think im going to just cruise in it... **** that ****.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:49 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by AlwaysNBoost

The way I look at it anything over 650 should be sleeved IMO i dont care what people think that vq can hold on stock sleeves.
Thats incorrect.. you don't need sleeves on VQ's.. the biggest misconception is comparing the VQ with other motors out there and people trying to do that... that has been the cause of alot of failures stock or built blocks.. too many people trying to do the same thing with the VQ others have done with totally different motors.. from Sleeves.. to Head Gaskets.. to Head Bolts.. to Tuning with extra Timing.. you name it.. the more people try to compensate as they have done on other motors is more they blew up VQ's..
Old 12-11-2009, 06:51 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

How can a shop like VTR make a promise of no spun bearings,no overheating and or lifting heads in big letters underlined on his website.

*As far as Vinny he is a stand up guy, but won't tell shop secrets as this is something that keeps him ahead of the game imo,
*As far as his customers driving their cars hard on sleeves? Well I know for a fact they have a small group of older gentleman that road race their cars,This imo is the hardest beatings you can put on a motor! Never heard or see them talking about overheating real talk!
*As far as you're set up old one and latest one ,you should have had sleeves imo you like to beat the $hit out of you're car just like I do! Thats my opinion so dont take offense. You like big power and having extra security in you're engine cant hurt(as long as everything is installed correctly) Can you confirm that it was the sleeves or are you still in the diagnosis period? Whatever the case maybe, you car has not only been setting an example but has shown so many of us to be wary of what you're doing this vq motors. They have a intricate cooling system and having high power expectations without the proper equipment may make or break you're engine (sleeved or unsleeved..) and real drivers in street driven cars put more stress on the motor than shop cars I dont care what anyone thinks this is why we may not see that many shop cars with overheats IMO!
VTR has a clult following.. if anything good or bad is going on in that shop you will never know... as far as i know they only have 1 big build.. and thats that Police Officer guy and it 'appears' he has been through two motors.. last time it got called out.. it was covered up.. anyway.. take VTR for what it is..
Old 12-11-2009, 06:53 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

The way I look at it anything over 650 should be sleeved IMO i dont care what people think that vq can hold on stock sleeves. Some people are these forums are looking at sleeves now as a possible cause for the overheating, whiich personally I dont blame them. I personally think its in the machining and inproperly installed sleeves bottom line. How can a shop like VTR make a promise of no spun bearings,no overheating and or lifting heads in big letters underlined on his website.

So by what you are posting I'll go ahead and assume that you've built multiple VQs with and without sleeves and had failures on non-sleeved blocks over 650whp.

If you haven't had experience with this, GTFO.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:56 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

No matter how nice a shop owner, employee is, or how nice the "guarantee's" sound, in the aftermarket parts world, there is no guarantee!

650whp no sleeves needed, IMO for 800whp or less I wouldnt run them. If you go ahead and do sleeves, you will likely be on these forums in 2 years posting about how crappy your experience was, sounding like me trying to keep people who believe shops owners instead of honest Z owners who SHARE ALL THEIR EXPERIENCES to not do them.

Dont buy into that BS!!!!

Thread officially hijacked now....this discussion is for another place
Old 12-11-2009, 07:09 AM
AlwaysNBoost

Originally Posted by Vas_Z33
I agree with Berto... a lot of shops say " dont abuse the car "... I just spent 20-25K on the build.. do you really think im going to just cruise in it... **** that ****.
I'm with you on that. If a shop tells me before or after I spend that much doe that I should not abuse the car there is gonna be problems! wtf spend that much and not enjoy it?
Old 12-11-2009, 07:16 AM
AlwaysNBoost

Originally Posted by doug
VTR has a clult following.. if anything good or bad is going on in that shop you will never know... as far as i know they only have 1 big build.. and thats that Police Officer guy and it 'appears' he has been through two motors.. last time it got called out.. it was covered up.. anyway.. take VTR for what it is..
A cult following why because they stick together? I may be misunderstanding you but is it because they are not on the forums typing in how much power they made or not posting up you tube vids?

As for as rocky or (police officer guy lol) I dont talk to him much or see him that much to actually ask him about his car! Plus from what I have been told he got kicked off the formus. His car has been running flawlessly since build, my understanding is that he wanted to take a different route with his build I could be wrong but judging by how the car looks now I would assume soo..(or maybe it is all part of his coverup for motor blowing lol)

Quick Reply: Longevity of full builds, the good the bad