Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Longevity of full builds, the good the bad

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 08:56 AM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shoot me the info on where to send it and whatnot and I'll send mine in after the next oil change (prolly won't happen till spring of course since its winter in chicago now)

Tom

Originally Posted by Alberto
Last analysis says they thought coolant was
getting into oil.

BUT-I run Evans which I understand is asn oil based "coolant" so they may be seeing non standard attributes in my oil thinking I run regular coolant. This is why I have asked and asked everyone with built motors to spend $15 on this and SHARE the results. Over a couple months we could have MANY samples and see what is normal or what isnt.

But it wont happen, everybody wants info nobody is willing to share....
Old 12-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Nealoc187

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

evans is propylene glycol coolant rather than ethylene glycol coolant I think that's the difference you're talking about. it's still an alcohol but it's not mixed with water like most coolant is.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tom - here you go

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Old 12-14-2009, 09:19 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Old School
I change the oil. Just put in a carbonetics triple and changed the tranny fluid. Recently she's been trying to get hot (last two times i've driven her). Either have air in teh cooling system or my thermo is going bad. Other than that, I beat on her everytime I drive her....and she takes it willingly.
That's how it starts.... pray it is just air. If I were a betting man, I would say the start of something more serious, but I will keep my fingers crossed for ya
Old 12-14-2009, 09:35 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
That's how it starts.... pray it is just air. If I were a betting man, I would say the start of something more serious, but I will keep my fingers crossed for ya
lets hope its nothing serious. started happening when i drove her to show the car at autorama. And i was driving like everyone else on the road. Not really in boost at all. that's what leads me to believe its air. Still gotta check the coolant hose to see if the thermo is opening.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

I just had a TT in here w/ overheating problems, and it turned out to be just a bad stat.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by Old School
lets hope its nothing serious. started happening when i drove her to show the car at autorama. And i was driving like everyone else on the road. Not really in boost at all. that's what leads me to believe its air. Still gotta check the coolant hose to see if the thermo is opening.
Put the heat on full hot, full blast, is it cool or barely warm? If so, it is air in the cooling system.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last analysis says they thought coolant was getting into oil.

BUT-I run Evans which I understand is asn oil based "coolant" so they may be seeing non standard attributes in my oil thinking I run regular coolant. This is why I have asked and asked everyone with built motors to spend $15 on this and SHARE the results. Over a couple months we could have MANY samples and see what is normal or what isnt.

Berto - I will share mie when it comes back this next time. I will be changing the oil shortly as I think the 15/50 I'm running is way too thick for the winter. I plan on sending the oil out every time its changed for the same reasons you do it
Old 12-14-2009, 10:53 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

do you guys send in your '1st start break in' oil or do you wait til the next change?
Old 12-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Put the heat on full hot, full blast, is it cool or barely warm? If so, it is air in the cooling system.
yes sir.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

I sent in my first one (second on motor) and every one after that.

OS-pick up a spill funnel to let the air out of the system if you havent already. Makes it an easy, clean job.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:18 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ok, so i'll send in my dino break in sample and go from there. thanks!
Old 12-14-2009, 12:44 PM
alan21

alberto i used normal oil for the first 2000 miles to break it in(changed oil after first startup, then at 500,1000 and 2000 miles) and since then I change the oil every 3000 miles with 0w40 mobil one full synthetic (per sam at GTM instructions) I also add Lucus heavy duty oil stabilizer (this stuff is awesome). I also use a mobil one M-110 oil filter (longer filter). I dont mind sending you my samples. My email is alan021@aol.com just email and ill get them out to you.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:34 PM
streetzlegend

Last analysis says they thought coolant was getting into oil.

I am sending my sample tomorrow and will be posting the results once i get them back. its going to be my first analysis, so I am a little nervous, its like doing blood lab work and being anxious about the results lol. It might not be the ideal comparison for you since im no where near your power level's (just in the low 400's for now), but at least you'll have something to compare.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:21 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive been fortunate.

573rwhp at 14psi, dynojet. never dynoed at higher boost, probably never made much if any more.

problems:

built the motor with a AEBS sleeved block in early 04. first time off the dyno the headgaskets were done. I continued to drive the car and fill the coolant for the rest of the season, but it was annoying as hell and very bothersome.

rebuilt it with a non sleeved block for 2005. probably have almost 20,000 miles on that build, hard to say i havent seen the odometer in a while. problems since:

cracked a 3 exhaust manifolds, sucks because you lose power.

burned out one or two wastegate gaskets.

my biggest drama night; PS belt on my custom belt setup half shredded 2 years ago, the shredded part whipping around wacked my oil pressure sensor wire, made me think i lost oil pressure because gauge went to zero. changed belt and fixed wire, problem solved.

rear main seal drips... replaced it twice, no idea WTF... gave up trying to fix it because its a really slow drip and a huge ***** to fix... ill take care of it with the next build.

APS dual 3" rattled on the crossbrace really bad... welded up 2 additional exhaust hangers to the small V brace in the driveshaft tunnel, fixed it perfect.

last summer i started getting an occasional puff of oil, motor is probably finally a little tired since its just my fun car and only sees abuse.

5th gear has had a scratch forrrrever, its a really old trans. still lets me powershift every gear other than 5th with no drama. i cannot believe 3rd hasnt broken yet since i powershift all the time and the trans was warrentied when the car was still new, so its seen all my stock block abuse AND built motor abuse with no trouble, mostly on R compound tires too.

notes; never broken a single part since the original AEBS sleeved block headgasket failure unless you count the oil pressure sensor wire. its not the original trans but it was warriented before the car was ever boosted, in 2003. im still on original factory clicking axles. car has never left me on the side of the road once. its had a couple quirks as listed above, but so far its been as reliable as anything stock ive owned. i havent really even retuned it in years... i just play with my fuel pressure here and there... every now and then i whip out the laptop and play around, but i havent touched the timing map or main fuel map in years.

last annoyance complaint... i have this damn bizarre RPM studder if i hold 3000rpm at very low throttle, nothing in my fcon/wideband logging shows abnormal. had it for 2 years now. this is actually the main reason i play with the laptop here and there, trying to figure out / correct this.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:42 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by phunk
ive been fortunate.

573rwhp at 14psi, dynojet. never dynoed at higher boost, probably never made much if any more.

problems:

built the motor with a AEBS sleeved block in early 04. first time off the dyno the headgaskets were done. I continued to drive the car and fill the coolant for the rest of the season, but it was annoying as hell and very bothersome.

rebuilt it with a non sleeved block for 2005. probably have almost 20,000 miles on that build, hard to say i havent seen the odometer in a while. problems since:

cracked a 3 exhaust manifolds, sucks because you lose power.

burned out one or two wastegate gaskets.

my biggest drama night; PS belt on my custom belt setup half shredded 2 years ago, the shredded part whipping around wacked my oil pressure sensor wire, made me think i lost oil pressure because gauge went to zero. changed belt and fixed wire, problem solved.

rear main seal drips... replaced it twice, no idea WTF... gave up trying to fix it because its a really slow drip and a huge ***** to fix... ill take care of it with the next build.

APS dual 3" rattled on the crossbrace really bad... welded up 2 additional exhaust hangers to the small V brace in the driveshaft tunnel, fixed it perfect.

last summer i started getting an occasional puff of oil, motor is probably finally a little tired since its just my fun car and only sees abuse.

5th gear has had a scratch forrrrever, its a really old trans. still lets me powershift every gear other than 5th with no drama. i cannot believe 3rd hasnt broken yet since i powershift all the time and the trans was warrentied when the car was still new, so its seen all my stock block abuse AND built motor abuse with no trouble, mostly on R compound tires too.

notes; never broken a single part since the original AEBS sleeved block headgasket failure unless you count the oil pressure sensor wire. its not the original trans but it was warriented before the car was ever boosted, in 2003. im still on original factory clicking axles. car has never left me on the side of the road once. its had a couple quirks as listed above, but so far its been as reliable as anything stock ive owned. i havent really even retuned it in years... i just play with my fuel pressure here and there... every now and then i whip out the laptop and play around, but i havent touched the timing map or main fuel map in years.

last annoyance complaint... i have this damn bizarre RPM studder if i hold 3000rpm at very low throttle, nothing in my fcon/wideband logging shows abnormal. had it for 2 years now. this is actually the main reason i play with the laptop here and there, trying to figure out / correct this.
Lets get it on the dragstrip and I'll show you how to break 3rd AND your stock axles
Old 12-14-2009, 10:27 PM
acg

1. 1/5/08- almost 2 years

2. Miles on built motor - 53,000

3. HP, TQ, PSI - GTM dyno pulled 453hp and 510tq @ 14 psi

4. Motor - GTM (Wiseco Extreme pistons, Carillo rods)

5. Issues -Replaced Fcon once as water leaked onto system from shop not installing a rubber gromet back properly.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:13 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

ACG-thats awesome you have so many miles on your setup, you reminded me of something I forgot to post about.

I one time almost had to replace my Haltech. Same problem the grommet up by the pass side windshield wipers was missing - apparently they fly off with no warning and water soaked the Haltech's wiring for 2 days. Car wouldnt start and if it did it the tach would go NUTS and no throttle response. Ray @ PFS was able to save it for me. Make sure that grommet is in there guys, dumb way to spend $$$ on another EMS.

Also forgot my first oil change I filled it to 6qts (stock + spacer) but that led to start up smoking at idle-was pretty embarrassing showing off the new build and my car is smoking like a dragons a$$hole Let it burn out and knew from then on even with the spacer do not fill to capacity I keep my oil between 5-5.5qts, no issues since.

Cracked passenger side exhaust manifold-replaced under warranty when first build blew.

Grenaded transmission on a 2-3 shift at the track at a measly 525whp - forgot if I had mentioned that or not, you guys have prolly laughed at the vid.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:59 AM
BrianLG35C

Originally Posted by acg
1. 1/5/08- almost 2 years

2. Miles on built motor - 53,000

3. HP, TQ, PSI - GTM dyno pulled 453hp and 510tq @ 14 psi

4. Motor - GTM (Wiseco Extreme pistons, Carillo rods)

5. Issues -Replaced Fcon once as water leaked onto system from shop not installing a rubber gromet back properly.
On your sig. you have more hp/trq noted, what's the psi at? Are you running heads and/or cams?
Old 12-15-2009, 06:12 AM
alan21

I wanted to add that awhile back I talked to shariff@forged about his 3.8L setup(darton sleeved with 100mm overbore) because I wanted some first hand experience with some who has run the same setup. He stated that he ran it hard for over 20,000 miles (600++ horsepower and alot of track time). Then he decided to go a different route so he disassembled the motor and there were no signs of anything wrong, the motor was in perfect operating order.

Quick Reply: Longevity of full builds, the good the bad