Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Big boost?.. Was it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 05:32 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an issue with it draining even when stock. Not sure what the deal is then, I can't find any source of power draw just figured they had a design flaw that causes the battery to drain, either way I'll never let my car sit anymore with out disconnection the battery. long term its nice to have a battery tender also.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:40 AM
Boostedtrack350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffie7
If you have no money issues where if a motor pops, you can easily replace it with out thinking about how much it will cost you then go for it.

If you're like most people and have a hard time dropping a few grand at random, keep the power to a safer level. Im in the 400WHP club and couldn't ask for more and that's just touching the bottom of what my turbo kit can make. Just because it has a lot more room to go, doesn't mean I should go there. =)
+10000000 If you run a car at its limits, it will always be hard to have a reliable car. Unless this is a track car and/or you have Deep pockets, I wouldnt run 600whp on a daily driven Z. (Built block or not). OP, have you ever driven a boosted Z? I think you would be happy with 400 -500whp on a DD Z.

GL with your car! Do it!
Old 03-09-2010, 06:03 AM
AlwaysNBoost

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do It! I have been boosted for years now and will never regret it. It is a PITA and has it's ups and downs and can put a hole in you're wallet for sure. Couldn't imagine going back to n/a feels like I would be going backwords in life imo.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:18 AM
bigslim350Z

Originally Posted by Alberto

Everyday that passes I feel like I regret the decision to go so crazy on this car more and more.

I feel like Id rather be driving my old NA setup and enjoying it daily at no cost above stock for maintenance, than spending money on fixing my car, trailering it around, caring for it more and never driving it because its become such a pain in my d!ck. Id drive it now but the battery is dead again. I dont even trust my car for a 2.5hr trip to the Ocean.
FML
I'm only in the 400 club but having $hit randomly go wrong keeps me driving my car locally. I'll be paranoid when trying to drive to VA.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:26 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fawk our cars, fawk them all
Old 03-09-2010, 06:34 AM
bigslim350Z

Fawk our cars, fawk them all
If I had it do to over again, I would have been like Abui01 and buy every suspension mod known to man along with just bolt ons and enjoy 265 whp in the backroads.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:35 AM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 03-09-2010, 06:38 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by D350Z10
At least slim tracks his car STFU
Old 03-09-2010, 06:47 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Everyday that passes I feel like I regret the decision to go so crazy on this car more and more.

I feel like Id rather be driving my old NA setup and enjoying it daily at no cost above stock for maintenance, than spending money on fixing my car, trailering it around, caring for it more and never driving it because its become such a pain in my d!ck. Id drive it now but the battery is dead again. I dont even trust my car for a 2.5hr trip to the Ocean.

FML
I feel for ya. All the money, time and effort, and you don't trust it enough to drive it. I hope I never get this way with my setup.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:47 AM
bigslim350Z

At least slim tracks his car STFU
haven't got the launch down yet, but am doing well with the reaction time and trap speed. Let me know when you hit up the track by the way.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:54 AM
DeltaTTZ

^+1 Fawk our cars ive been boosted for a while and put rods through the block on 2 stock motors.. now my z has been down for months while im collecting what seems like a never ending list of parts for a built block and all of the things to accomodate for more power. I feel like it is gonna be a waste of time and $$$ because it will never be reliable no matter how many parts you buy to prevent failures!

Last edited by DeltaTTZ; 03-09-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:26 AM
GreenGoblin

Is it worth it hello no! Its the worst financial decision you could ever make, but I guess its beats wasting money on crack. They are both the same addiction at least boost doesn't make your teeth fall out...
Old 03-09-2010, 07:37 AM
thom000001

All depends on your definition of worth.

If you think its an investment...you are wrong lol.....
Make sure its what YOU want. And learn from other's mistakes, go to the right places/people for EVERYTHING

Tom
Old 03-09-2010, 07:48 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I run 500 whp every single day and have a few stretches along the back roads where it will see 15 psi on the way to and on the way back from work. I look forward to every drive (in good weather with no traffic) . If you've got the dispensable income, it's an amazing experience.

That said, I've learned the workings inside and out for many of the cars systems - especially the electrical. If you don't live near the shop where you get it built, this almost becomes mandatory. Either you learn to perform the maintenance or you get an experienced shop to take care of it.

Last edited by rcdash; 03-09-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:22 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just make sure you have another car.

whoever started this whole "building the engine for more reliability" was not thinking straight.

you build a motor so that the internals can handle more HP, thats it. With that more HP, you are losing reliability in every other part of the drivetrain, the only thing you can "rely" on more is to not throw a rod thru the block or crack a piston. You are also *decreasing* reliability because now every little thing in your engine bay has been ****ed with by someone.

While my car has never once broke down on me... I would still have to have a pretty twisted sense of "reliable" to think that I could depend on that car like I can my stock 370z.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:28 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by jeffie7
Alberto start disconnection your battery, I remove my neg side everytime I pull into the garage, for some reason the Z draws enough power to knock out a battery over a few weeks if the car just sits around. I learned this the hard way, 2 dead batteries later. and many jump starts.
Yeah this is an absolute must. I've been very busy for the past few months so I haven't been driving the Z regularly. Anytime I know I won't be taking it out for a while o disconnect th battery. I have a feeling my UTEC is causing the trouble.

Having a second car is also a must.

Last edited by JAM3Z; 03-09-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:32 AM
AlwaysNBoost

Originally Posted by thom000001
all depends on your definition of worth.

If you think its an investment...you are wrong lol.....
Make sure its what you want. And learn from other's mistakes, go to the right places/people for everything

tom
+1111111111111
Old 03-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

FML
FML is right, make sure you disconnect the negative when you dont plan on driving your car frequently. Damn haltech sucks up so much juice, my optima red top dies in less than two weeks if not driven.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:55 AM
XKR

I have been asked many times if knowing what I know now.. Would I do it again.... Yes I would.

I usually drive my car from TX to ATL ... Them to NC for ZdayZ ... Then back to Tx... Sometimes stopping at my home in FL...I do this every year.

A flat tire is the only issue I have had on those long trips. In three and a half years of being boosted... The only issues I have had is .. Cooling fan fuse going out.... Couplers blowing off..... One turbo failure ( 850bb)...

I road race my G... Temps got high... But no failure.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:02 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by davidv
Its where forced-induction members race on paper with numbers pulled from their asses. Stick around. You will see some shiit around here.
I don't get what you are saying... Are you saying the numbers posted are not real??

Quick Reply: Big boost?.. Was it worth it?