Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My HKS S/C Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ That pic is from the GTM kit.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:48 PM
ITOzann

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
^ That pic is from the GTM kit.
I'm calling Sam tomorrow LOL gotta get one. I have no air filter currently installed in my car.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ITOzann
I'm calling Sam tomorrow LOL gotta get one. I have no air filter currently installed in my car.
Lol Did you have the purple HKS?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:03 PM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LOL.. Well that pipe in the Pic will work, but it will not go all the way to the SC current intake. The Pipe in the Pic is for GTM's De TT kit.
I have been looking do build the intake for a while because I hate the HKS filter. It's total POS. I was looking at the GTM TT kit and Bam. It it fell in to place. So I called up my local Fab'er and he said no prob. We are building it out of of 3" aluminum and it will go all the way to the current Sc intake pipe.
I am glad you guys like my ideas because I was not sure at first. I am just looking to improve the HKS kit a bit. I will keep you all informed of the progress as it unfolds.
I may take some time off next week before I leave to LA for the weekend. Maybe we can get it built. ITOzann I will talk to my Fab'er guy and see about getting you one built too. The quote he gave me was between $150-$200. He is suppling all the Pipe.

Happy drinking. LOL (Currently drinking Crown an 7)

Last edited by cdoxp800; 08-20-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:18 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdoxp800
Hey guys been a while since I posted in here do to some projects I have been working.
So take I talked with Sam about a few of my ideas and he cannot see any issues with them.

1. I plan to relocate the MAF out of the HKS Suction Pipe (Currently using PMAS Here) and moving it up by the throttle body and using the OEM MAF (New 3" section added to existing Pipe). By doing this the ECU will see a truer air intake Temp and less turbulent air. This will let me run my OEM MAF. The current location of the MAF is seeing allot of Hot air from the engine Bay and passes this to the ECU, but the true temp of the Air after the intercooler is much cooler and not being take advantage of in the tuning.
See below Pic:

2. I plan on building a New Intake for the SC itself to get a way from the garbage HKS filter and moving it to a cooler air location. I plan on using a Apexi filter (Part #: 500-A024). I chose this filter because if this review.
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/
Intake Sample Pic:

I feel all these changes will help better the performance of the HKS kit. It's going to take few weeks to get all this made because of work, and then a whole re-tune.
You are using osiris for tune, correct? Those that are using vpro or other ems with map will not have to worry about the maf issue for tuning as the map is reading intake temp. Also, what about the GTM upgraded AIT sensor?

How do you plan on plugging the hole where the maf originally was placed on the cast intake piece?

The kit's top intercooler piping is ~2.3". Your custom top intercooler piping will be 3", so you will make a 60-80mm transition from the bottom piece intercooler piping to the top piping instead of from the top piping to the throttle body making the 60-80 mm transition?
Old 08-20-2010, 09:20 PM
jonnylaw

?? have you been driving with no filter installed?
Old 08-20-2010, 09:35 PM
jonnylaw

AWESOME!!! if you would consider doing an extra intake pipe let me know, I'll put a deposit on it I tried 6 different filters and none worked with my large aftermarket radiator.

Please let me know

BTW, where did you get that pic from?
The filters that you tried, did they at lease fit into the intake piping? What size/brands did you try? Was it just that you didn't have enough clearance to fit, but they physically connected to the intake pipe?

On the G kit, the intake is in a cold air location below the engine, near the driver wheelwell. There should be much more clearance room. I have a ARC intake filter from when I was N/A:

, I wonder if that will work? The filtration abilities is most shocking if the test linked above is accurate. The HKS SC instructions even call for changing filter elements every ~1900 miles for best performance--that's ridiculous.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:55 AM
ITOzann

ITOzann I will talk to my Fab'er guy and see about getting you one built too. The quote he gave me was between $150-$200. He is suppling all the Pipe.

Happy drinking. LOL (Currently drinking Crown an 7)
tahnk you sir! the price sounds good!

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
?? have you been driving with no filter installed?
Not really, I've been trying different custom ghetto intake pipes and air filters. I can't handle it anymore.

The filters that you tried, did they at lease fit into the intake piping? What size/brands did you try? Was it just that you didn't have enough clearance to fit, but they physically connected to the intake pipe?

On the G kit, the intake is in a cold air location below the engine, near the driver wheelwell. There should be much more clearance room. I have a ARC intake filter from when I was N/A:

, I wonder if that will work? The filtration abilities is most shocking if the test linked above is accurate. The HKS SC instructions even call for changing filter elements every ~1900 miles for best performance--that's ridiculous.
Since day 1, the hks filter would not fit due to clearance with my radiator. I tried angled couplers and it would still not work. If there is something smaller than the hks mushroom, it might work in my case. Bu if not, then anything else would not including Fujita, K&N, AEM, Injen intakes

The following was my first idea when I got the kit and got it tuned since I couldn't get the air filter to work in the original position. After removing it and getting it retuned, there was a lost in power of about 7-10whp LOL

jonnylaw, is the arc smaller than the hks mashroom? I heard from some local shops in my area that the hks mushroom is the smaller in the market

Last edited by ITOzann; 08-21-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:57 AM
ITOzann

LOL.. Well that pipe in the Pic will work, but it will not go all the way to the SC current intake. The Pipe in the Pic is for GTM's De TT kit.
what about using a long coupler? do you think that will work?
Old 08-21-2010, 01:17 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey cdox, i wouldn't pay too much attention to that filter test they did. I heard a lot of people say it was a joke and that the results are not very accurate. I persoanlly don't know, but that's what i've read on a few different forums.

Also bear in mind that since that test, HKS has brought out new filter material designs, and Apex'i has been bankrupt and changed owner twice, so a lot might have changed.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:24 AM
IanP

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

itozann - what size radiator have you got?

Mine has got the 54mm koyo radiator & the hks filter fits fine, its a bit tight but it fits

Old 08-21-2010, 01:35 AM
ITOzann

I have a 50mm radiator. =( your radiator is basically touching the filter right?
Old 08-21-2010, 01:41 AM
IanP

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nearly touching, theres a small gap between them
Old 08-21-2010, 06:10 AM
cdoxp800

You are using osiris for tune, correct? Those that are using vpro or other ems with map will not have to worry about the maf issue for tuning as the map is reading intake temp. Also, what about the GTM upgraded AIT sensor?

How do you plan on plugging the hole where the maf originally was placed on the cast intake piece?

The kit's top intercooler piping is ~2.3". Your custom top intercooler piping will be 3", so you will make a 60-80mm transition from the bottom piece intercooler piping to the top piping instead of from the top piping to the throttle body making the 60-80 mm transition?
Correct Jonny. I am using osiris.

The GTM upgraded AIT sensor is a great idea for those using MAP sensor.

Yea we will be building some kind of transition pipe just after where the BPV is at.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:12 AM
cdoxp800

what about using a long coupler? do you think that will work?
your are correct, that could be done with a coupler.

Originally Posted by ReV2Red
Hey cdox, i wouldn't pay too much attention to that filter test they did. I heard a lot of people say it was a joke and that the results are not very accurate. I persoanlly don't know, but that's what i've read on a few different forums.

Also bear in mind that since that test, HKS has brought out new filter material designs, and Apex'i has been bankrupt and changed owner twice, so a lot might have changed.
Thanks man. I am also looking at the K&N RE-0930 and RU-3580.

Last edited by cdoxp800; 08-21-2010 at 06:13 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:49 AM
cdoxp800

By the way here is the GTM part numbers on all the the pipes that make up the GTM DE TT kit intake pipe.
Attached Thumbnails My HKS S/C Installation-gtm-intake.jpg  
Old 08-21-2010, 09:41 AM
jonnylaw

tahnk you sir! the price sounds good!

Not really, I've been trying different custom ghetto intake pipes and air filters. I can't handle it anymore.

Since day 1, the hks filter would not fit due to clearance with my radiator. I tried angled couplers and it would still not work. If there is something smaller than the hks mushroom, it might work in my case. Bu if not, then anything else would not including Fujita, K&N, AEM, Injen intakes

The following was my first idea when I got the kit and got it tuned since I couldn't get the air filter to work in the original position. After removing it and getting it retuned, there was a lost in power of about 7-10whp LOL

jonnylaw, is the arc smaller than the hks mashroom? I heard from some local shops in my area that the hks mushroom is the smaller in the market
The ARC is not smaller, the HKS given it's smooshed like mushroom design seems to be the smallest in length. But if you had the extra room to fit these different filters you tried, would they at least fit in the coupler connecting the filter to the intake pipe?
Old 08-21-2010, 01:01 PM
ITOzann

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
Lol Did you have the purple HKS?
I had the green one. is the purple suppose to be smaller?

By the way here is the GTM part numbers on all the the pipes that make up the GTM DE TT kit intake pipe.
NICE! thanks for the info

The ARC is not smaller, the HKS given it's smooshed like mushroom design seems to be the smallest in length. But if you had the extra room to fit these different filters you tried, would they at least fit in the coupler connecting the filter to the intake pipe?
they fit all tight making contact with radiator but the filters would not align with the intake pipe by about an inch or two. Also I tried angled coupler and it would not help in any way

Last edited by ITOzann; 08-21-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Gabe35Coupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IanP
Has anyone tried using an Apexi filter instead of the HKS?

Mine is nearly finished now

Looking good. I like what your thinking with the Air filter placement. I my-self was thinking of getting a Pipe made to do just that. This way I don't have to run that poor HKS Filtration system. I would like to run Apexi filter after seeing this.
http://mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

So what Engine management system you going to be using?
I think you should run what you like and I'm not saying the HKS' filter is the best. However they have changed thier filter element a few times since that article referenced on the Supra site and are better. That's been there since I had a Supra lol. HKS started making filters private label for some OEM performance brands. They had to show better filtration with real tests. They used the data to improve the design since then. Just FYI. There are newer models with more layers now:

Replacement Filter Elements
HKS replacement Filter Elements are available in a dry 3-layer, triple density or wet 2-layer, dual density construction. The dry 3-layer type is standard in SMF Reloaded Intake kits, and is designed for superior filtration while still providing excellent airflow. The wet 2-layer type is included in Racing Suction kits and is focused on maximizing airflow for performance, yet still keeping harmful particles from the engine. If your vehicle is in a high dust area, HKS recommends using dry 3-layer elements.
Also for the above post they sell various colors for both the 200mm and 150mm size filters. The color of the elements don't really corespond to what size filter it's for.

Last edited by Gabe35Coupe; 08-21-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:31 PM
jonnylaw

^^right. I use the triple layer dry type fwiw

Quick Reply: My HKS S/C Installation