Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Sneak Peak At Vortech System

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 11:49 AM
G3po

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech vs. ATI dyno diffs

Semething to keep in mind as to why? the Vortech system may appear to be producing slightly fewer rwhp numbers when compared to the ATI Setups out there.

The Vortech base kit provides progressive de-timing with respect to RPM and PSI.

The ATI base system provides "no" de-timing.

When de-timing, what you are trading off is safety margin (against detonation) vs. peak power seen at the wheels.

I would expect that adding similar de-timing to the ATI setup in order to gain safety margin, would manifest a similar loss of peak power at the wheels.

If you can't get better than 91 pump , it is risky to use the agressive factory timing maps without some form of timing re-tard , regradless how rich the A/F is at the peak TQ point (usually first place were detonation starts).

Basically boils down to how much of a gambler you are with your ride.

IMO
Old 11-25-2003, 11:51 AM
MSGarrett1

Originally posted by Forced
A cat-back and even hi-flow cats should be OK. When it comes to headers...Generally shorty style seem to work with our tune up. When you get into long tube, there generally is a problem. I think your best bet is the cat-back and some hi-flow cats. If you get into headers, you may want to get it on a dyno to check air/fuel.
Excellent. . . .specifically do you have any information regarding the Random Technology hi-flow cats, which you seem to imply would be compatible w/ the Vortech SC kit. Also, are ALL aftermarket headers off limits? Would the Borla headers be considered long tube or short tube?
Old 11-25-2003, 11:56 AM
Ag Z

It has been said many times Tuning is everything. It's much easier to hurt an engine with FI than NA. Too much advance or too little fuel and POP goes the engine. And it's a hit or miss issue with a "plug and play" tune from any company.

I don't go either company's forums, I might have to look for myself. But it seems that some have passed judgment on Vortech being a better setup over the ATI. Both have their pros/cons. And it's great that Forced has been active on here. Might have taken some time but he has answered all of questions and taken some heat for a fellow employee. And is still here. For that I give him a lot of respect.

But I take every claim with a grain of salt.

DW will let the owner adjust timing/fuel? Ford and GM owners can do it with various software/hardware. To do that on the Z then you will see some nice HP numbers and fewer "My engine melted" threads.

Ravez, take some Advil, you will feel better in a little while

Thanks Forced, I thought the kit is setup for a stock exhaust and being honest about a possible Lean condition if you do headers and free flowing exhaust.

I wonder if the ATI cars are running a very free exhaust setup, maybe that is the reason some have problems and others don't.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:04 PM
G3po

Default Timing

If you look at the factory ECU timing (peaking at 28 degrees)
you can easily speculate as to why some ATI motors have blown.
With that agressive a map, you're teetering on the edge. Any little thing, gas , hot IC could get the detructive ball rolling.

Hopefully the Vortech de-timing is very conservative and then tohse that which to re-tune and be more agressive can take the risk. But for "out of the box operation" opting for safety margin seems prudent.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:04 PM
ravaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need a supply of Advil...

I know for a fact, that cars tuned and installed by ATI do run aftermarket exhausts.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:43 PM
little_rod

I think the ATI that ran 368 rwhp already had aftermarket exhausts, if I remember correctly. The ATI on a totally stock car was around 350 rwhp, if I remember correctly.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:45 PM
G3po

Default High ATI HP numbers

Quite possibly was the "high ~368" ATI setup tuned on 93 /94 octane? With 91 octane the fuel curves woudl need to be tuned a little fatter to squelch any audible knock during dyno tuning. If it was tuned "leaner", it could also account for higher numbers on that early dyno. But that tune profile most likely would be less than safe with 91 octane and no de-timing.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:10 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I just remembered the 368 rwhp number being posted, not what other mods or a/f level it was running. If someone knows the exact number off a stock motor than lets use that number instead.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:11 PM
zimbo

Have any Vortech units been shipped yet? Do any installers have them yet? My understanding was that the ship date was sometime this week.

--Steve
Old 11-25-2003, 06:55 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by zimbo
Have any Vortech units been shipped yet? Do any installers have them yet? My understanding was that the ship date was sometime this week.

--Steve
I know Steve told me they got a customer that will allow his car to be used in the SportZ test on Dec 14th thus one will be running by then.

Jeff - zland
Old 11-25-2003, 07:08 PM
zimbo

Originally posted by zland
I know Steve told me they got a customer that will allow his car to be used in the SportZ test on Dec 14th thus one will be running by then.
Yeah, I've been following that with some interest. I thought that was an install done by Vortech itself. I'm trying to find out if they have actually shipped kits to other installers yet and, if so, what the feedback has been.

--Steve
Old 11-25-2003, 08:09 PM
damen

hey force, i know everyone says to upgrade the exhaust when going with any FI but, would the car be ok with the stock exhaust?
Old 11-26-2003, 08:21 AM
Forced

Originally posted by damen
hey force, i know everyone says to upgrade the exhaust when going with any FI but, would the car be ok with the stock exhaust?
Stock exhaust is fine. That is what we tune our systems with. A cat-back will be fine though.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:38 PM
damen

thanks i'll be looking to do that for awhile.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:50 PM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*bump* anymore news on this
Old 12-02-2003, 10:07 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Steve:

Are you going to attend the sportZ test that includes the Vortech in San Diego on Sat. Dec 13th? If you need directions or more information etc, just let me know. I plan on being there for sure.

Are the Vortech kits being shipped now as planned?

Jeff - zland
Old 12-03-2003, 10:19 AM
Forced

I have something else going on that day, but I am not sure yet.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:50 AM
basam350z

The Vortech system uses an FMU. This unit has a pre-set air/fuel ratio. There is also a Super FMU which allows you to tune the a/f settings. I used to own a Honda Prelude that had a Drag turbo kit with the Vortech FMU. I really don't trust this product. It is very generic in my opinion, because in fuel Management you should to be able to tune at as many RPM points as possible.

The ignition timing unit they use, is to me more of a fail safe than anything. It will lower your horsepower just so you can have a safer set up, hence why the vortech unit only puts out 412 at the crank with 8 psi. 412 is about 350 rwhp. ATI makes that much power with 7psi, but the timing is not modifed.

The best way to tune the engine with a turbo would be to have the ATI type fuel set up, but I would prefer the eManage Unit from Greddy, since you can electronically alter the fuel curve.

No matter what system you get, plan on using a Dyno, don't go cheap on the tuning.

Last edited by basam350z; 12-07-2003 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:31 PM
infidsg35

What is going on with this??? Are any shipped? Did anyone buy or install yet?
Old 12-14-2003, 04:37 PM
zimbo

Originally posted by infidsg35
What is going on with this??? Are any shipped? Did anyone buy or install yet?
Ummm. Yeah, I installed one in my G35, which you can read about by clicking.

--Steve

Quick Reply: Sneak Peak At Vortech System