Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Cass007.... ver 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 12:43 PM
davboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have followed your builds since the beginning and it scares me to change from a stock block TT that has run perfectly for about three years to a built TT. Luckily I am i the middle of building a different car right now, but when that is done I wanted to revisit the Z and make it go faster.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davboy
I have followed your builds since the beginning and it scares me to change from a stock block TT that has run perfectly for about three years to a built TT. Luckily I am i the middle of building a different car right now, but when that is done I wanted to revisit the Z and make it go faster.
One of the first things I asked Frank was if I could swap to an HR motor, but it requires several different things. I would have considered keeping that stock with TT, but honestly I was just getting enough seat time that stock block DE power was just ho hum..

cracked oil pump housing? how high are you spinning this thing?
Spinning to 8K, oil pump was last on the list just because its mechanical and so simple, but with me anything is possible. I restarted the can again and it make a hella racket. Some shizz is most definately busted up in there

I got the hood, plenum, catch can, coils, intake, hood latch and BOV removed so far. Just going real slow and labeling things as I take them off. Hoping to get the bulk of the front off tomorrow, I have to buy a better jack first to get the car higher in the air.

Hey Robbie
Old 06-17-2010, 01:58 PM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow sorry to hear. If ya need anything on pulling the motor shoot me a pm. I just went through it so have an idea of what you're up against.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:19 PM
citymunky

Damn, sorry man I know that feeling. I just feel bad know you have to go thur this crap again.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

damn chris Let me know if you need anything boss.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:21 PM
350Z400rwhp

Sorry to hear this man, hopefully it is just something stupid and you will be back on the road soon.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:03 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well at least its not this much fail But pretty sure that still had oil pressure

Last edited by str8dum1; 06-17-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:02 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Chris, did you have a billet girdle on there?
Old 06-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cass007

The worst part was that after the firmware update the car was so smooth it was sick, best it had driven yet.

I am going for a firmware update tomorrow, I hope it works out good for me. Sorry to hear about your never ending battle. Its cool to DIY once the next 3-4 times become a PITA. Good luck.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:44 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry to hear this man, good luck.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:04 PM
sublimemoment

Hope it all works out for you. Really sucks to see this happen to you again. Hopefully the karma kicks in and you pay for this build 10x over at the tables!
Old 06-18-2010, 04:15 AM
XKR

Wow....I too find it hard to believe you did not have an oil cooler Bad boy Chris

it may not be as bad as most are thinking....keep us updated.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:11 AM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris. I know you were disgusted with your car at the strip. Truly disappointing to dump all that coin and not be FAST! But you will work this out. Hopefully its not as expensive as you have already committed to in your mind.
Good luck bro.

If your considering other turbo options...Hal's got a killer set-up. I support the change!
Old 06-18-2010, 09:49 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

I dont run an oil cooler either but the air temps here haven't even hit 71degF yet and my car has see zero track time, mostly hiway miles. A cooler is in my future though.

PS Chris got the new firm ware update this morning car drives much better now and I got some timing pulled to get rid of the knock I had at 16.5psi and 5800rpm
Old 06-18-2010, 12:07 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
Chris, did you have a billet girdle on there?
why would that be needed for his build and power?

I am also not willing to fixiate on the lack of oil cooler either just yet as it woudl be "cleaver" to deflect attention from what could be the issue....does chris have a radiator or some other cooling mod?...if its considered "critical" and not very expensive, why wasnt it suggested before? ...since its in hingsight, fyi i say this NOT to point finger down that they never botherd to do it, but jsut that they probably didnt expect that to be such as issue with heat temps....which again coudl still point to something else then..

Anyways chris...i seriously didnt expect this thread to be about this issues man....i hope you get them solved (again) and that they are not as bad as expected. Good luck on the DIY project though, and at least i like that you are thinking ahead with bigger a turbo.

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 06-18-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:36 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I wouldn't underestimate how critical heat management is for FI. I thought XKR was nuts for insisting on 2 oil coolers when he had his car built. Running a thermostatic adapter and the largest cooler you can fit is what I'd recommend now. It sucks having to shut down because you're worried about climbing temps. It's worse not knowing and pushing on...

If you've got temp gauges and they tell you you're ok, that's one thing. Assuming you're fine is another. I've had my coolant temp below 185 and my oil temp over 230, depending on driving conditions, so relying on your standard temp gauge to tell you everything is ok might not be prudent.

Billet girdle and main caps is to maintain bearing clearances under high rpm load. 8k rpm rev limiter qualifies.

Next thing I would consider Chris is Evans coolant, if you're not already using it. I think both around the cylinders and around the turbo, it can be a life saver by preventing steam formation.

Last edited by rcdash; 06-18-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:22 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by str8dum1
well at least its not this much fail But pretty sure that still had oil pressure
Rich is that your engine?

Where is Chris he makes a thread then dissapears, back to grief managment?
Old 06-19-2010, 06:17 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Checking in... I've been under the car most of the day Gord

I was unaware that an oil cooler was required, its not like I live in TX or AZ, but the difference was I was using the Z as my DD since I loaned my truck to a friend. I continue to learn lessons the hard way and can only hope I will serve as an example for the community of how to avoid fail.

Got down to the AC condenser, need to get the quick release tools today and then I'm at the front of the motor. I've been working real slow and labeling everything so I know what goes where and how.

A couple tablespoons of oil in the drivers side of the IC, but no more than that. Coolant was clean and intake was clean as well. I'm sore as ***** from crawling around on the concrete all day, I could afford to by a lift if this stupid car would quit breaking .

Mike and Gord, thanks for the PMs. Mike, I need to see what I have going on here and then will get back to you. Gord, keep at it, but be careful.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:29 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cass007
HILARIOUS!!!! - Its happened so many times that I'm just like "whatever", I'm actually kind of excited to tackle this as a DIY project.

Look at the bright side Keith, with my car down, it means Berto should be running all summer
Negative. My car may be totalled, it was broken into Thursday night, HU stolen, aftermarket guages cut out, they tried to take the OEM GPS, now the car wont start no guages, interior wires smoke with ignition "on", etc, etc, FMFL!

Back to YOU, I feel your pain man, Im at a point where I dont give a $hit anymore, and I think that says something in itself. If somebody else fawks your wife or girl and you dont give a $Hit do you really love her? Everytime something bad hapens you become more numb to it, eventually reaching the love/hate relationship I experience.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:42 AM
jtgli

Wow that sucks! Didnt the alarm or anything go off when they broke into it?

Quick Reply: Cass007.... ver 5.0