Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Cass007.... ver 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:52 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by buzzardmountain
I'm sure boost is fun.......hell, I still have a boner from riding in Luie's car from a couple ZdayZ ago.

I'm sitting here in my office staring at these two boxes with the APS kit in them and thinking, you know what, right now (no FI) my freaking car starts up everytime I try it. That is fun for me....

Again, so sorry Chris that you're going through this crap.....
i understand what you are saying..., but i dont think pussification is what you need to get out of this......basically it says, keep it simple.......most likely you have the APS standard, so you will be fine on stock block, and if you ever upgrade engine, then do a simple setup.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to hear all this chris
Old 06-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

IMO if Chris aka Cass.. decides to keep the car and fix it ( not torch it lol )... he should just start from ground up... take what good parts can be used and toss that **** engine in the garbage or torch it lol. Its cursed

Find a different machine shop and have them put you a long block together... but then again after engine #5 went.... the real question is.. is it really worth it?

I feel for you chris, idk what I would do honestly.. Id probably just get a semi built short block.. 400-450whp.. and save the extra $$$$ and upgrade the suspension to the fullest...build a go cart pretty much. I think itll be more enjoyable. .. So many options. =(
Old 06-22-2010, 10:09 PM
The Fallen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
Vas_Z33 Snypers did it for anything by the reason being discussed, and his DIY worked but it was "ghetto" and sub part from any fabriation/clean work that cass would want. Though when its DIY it has a separate reward of its own even if nobody else sees it.
For how i like big singles... an 88mm puts cass car away from most streetdriving......Ls waps or not....and doesnt address the real issues.
Not to jump into the bandwagon fighting but I read this and have to say you seem like an idiot. Ive read just about every post on snypers builds both on here and on driver. Can you please explain to me how in any way his build is ghetto? Im guessing from your previous posts in his powerlab install thread that you dont like him and favor IP but cmon? Ive seen this car in person and all the local car shows here. His "ghetto" 88mm LS2 kit not only fits better but looks absolutely beautiful, shop or not. Im not trying to be a nut rider here but credit needs to be given where its deserved and you hating on him is just ridiculous. Please explain how a car that makes over 700whp on low boost reliably, daily driven-like him driving by my work today in the pouring rain-and beats street bikes is ghetto? Oh, and unlike the superior quality and design of the PL kit he can fit an air filter on his turbo and a full 4" exhaust. If you heard this car or saw it in person you'd kick yourself in the mouth for your retarded comments.

Very ghetto and sub par indeed indeed..

Huge turbo, big engine, and it looks and fits better than his baby 37r PL kit. People these days..

And I know the mods on this site are ban happy but it had to be said. Im not trying to start a fight just hate **** like this.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:15 AM
XKR

Wow..... Pretty harsh words

I think for the lack of a better word... QuickSilver used the word Ghetto. I think " Frankinstein" would be a better word to describe this setup.

There are so many reasons why I would not consider doing this.... But its only my opinion....

If I was going to do something like this ... Why not use the Titan motor....seems to sit better in the car.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:26 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Amazing DIY skills. Props to SnyperZ - the fabrication and fitment look top notch. Surprised how low that motor sits.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:35 AM
bigcloud

Originally Posted by XKR
Wow..... Pretty harsh words

I think for the lack of a better word... QuickSilver used the word Ghetto. I think " Frankinstein" would be a better word to describe this setup.

There are so many reasons why I would not consider doing this.... But its only my opinion....

If I was going to do something like this ... Why not use the Titan motor....seems to sit better in the car.
I believe the titan motor was tried on other swaps here on the forums, but the consensus was that it was to wide of a motor. You couldn't get to the spark plugs to change them for simple maintenance. Granted, that would be the best option, but there aren't any production swap kits for the titan motor that I know of. There are two companies that have made swap kits...sikky, and hinson. I would do the LS swap over the titan motor simply because it's been done on more than one type of nissan car. The titan motor has only gone into a G from what I remember. I would have to do more research as this is from the top of my head.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:09 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by The Fallen
Not to jump into the bandwagon fighting but I read this and have to say you seem like an idiot. Ive read just about every post on snypers builds both on here and on driver. Can you please explain to me how in any way his build is ghetto? Im guessing from your previous posts in his powerlab install thread that you dont like him and favor IP but cmon? Ive seen this car in person and all the local car shows here. His "ghetto" 88mm LS2 kit not only fits better but looks absolutely beautiful, shop or not. Im not trying to be a nut rider here but credit needs to be given where its deserved and you hating on him is just ridiculous. Please explain how a car that makes over 700whp on low boost reliably, daily driven-like him driving by my work today in the pouring rain-and beats street bikes is ghetto? Oh, and unlike the superior quality and design of the PL kit he can fit an air filter on his turbo and a full 4" exhaust. If you heard this car or saw it in person you'd kick yourself in the mouth for your retarded comments.

And I know the mods on this site are ban happy but it had to be said. Im not trying to start a fight just hate **** like this.
lol..i am only going to touch on this post only and not take more the focus away from the thread.
OK did you missed looking how when his build started he 1st started how he had all those weird location brackets, fixes that didn't involved clean welds, or hacking too much for fitments on something he claimed it doesn't when many other never had an issue with fitments, how he gutted the car, and he clearly mentioned that he wasn't off about looks, etc...does he have ac and other accessories right now? no, they were clearly removed...yeah thats something all turbo kit builders should ask of their customers to fit their kits...or hammer out a firewall to make clearance.. or ultra hack a radiator support....etc..
I am not saying he didn't finish the build properly, or that it doesn't work......ovbiously the fine details make no difference as far as the sound or if he did fit a large turbo and weather it makes the power or not......you could build a "bucket" of a Del sol and fab the piping that flows well and put a huge turbo in there and drive with no issues and it would sound awesome too... which is what you mentioned and not what i was going about...... it had nothing to do with the PL build on why he switched... i don't think for him any kit would have done it for him since he just wanted that bigger engine, he said that in his threads. ....i clearly praised him in his threads for doing the DIY work that many were afraid to do. So i am not going to call you an idiot and get the panties wet like you seemed... i just think its nice to see you sticking up for your friend , really... sorry if it seem I was putting him down... ghetto isn't like if i was calling it trash...read my post again...i even used "" to make a point that i wasn't actually trying to trash him...i clearly mentioned about "cleanness", and knowing the OP being big on having every quality on every detail, i don't think he would want that, or being with out accessories on his car....so really props for his DIY work!

BTW that filter thing, i made it clear that its not that it cant be fabricated, but that making it fit with asking someone to do some modification son the car would take the kit outside the scoop of a more mainstream DIY off the self kit...a 4" exhaust can be fitted no isses..i have one, and it sits quite high.. a 3.5" dp can be fitted too...only difference is that mine does look very nice and clean as i would expect for the cost paid, at the end as i would NOT accept a mock up fitted pipe in there...
SO then vs an off the self kit... yeah lol.. that s a nice comparison of a off the self kit to a custom fab kit(apples oranges)....greddy must suck for not being capable of putting 3.5" dps.

Rcdash stop just latching on to anything as long as it helps your on going feud, you are clever...if you think booger welds are acceptable for a shop quality then i am going to remind you of the zig rude had that you cried to have it removed, there is a difference in what you assume to be quality from a shop that you will pay the work for, and vs a DIY....i clearly said that when its DIY it adds value to the build in the reward sense...it doesn't matter how clean the welds are, fact is mark can weld a turbo kit, fit tough sized piping and taken on a huge challenge..., since its his build and its not building the car for someone else, he doesn't have to worry about some details as long as what he did works, which it does.

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 06-23-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:14 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by bigcloud
I believe the titan motor was tried on other swaps here on the forums, but the consensus was that it was to wide of a motor. You couldn't get to the spark plugs to change them for simple maintenance. Granted, that would be the best option, but there aren't any production swap kits for the titan motor that I know of. There are two companies that have made swap kits...sikky, and hinson. I would do the LS swap over the titan motor simply because it's been done on more than one type of nissan car. The titan motor has only gone into a G from what I remember. I would have to do more research as this is from the top of my head.
i agree... i think a titan motor sounds "sexier" int he sense that its still a nissan engine ...... but besides the 2 companies that do swap kits for the LS, more companies are familiar swapping LS engines and there is a lot of aftermarket support there already as well.....plus it hasnt been done enough times yet
Old 06-23-2010, 08:51 AM
bigcloud

i agree... i think a titan motor sounds "sexier" int he sense that its still a nissan engine ...... but besides the 2 companies that do swap kits for the LS, more companies are familiar swapping LS engines and there is a lot of aftermarket support there already as well.....plus it hasnt been done enough times yet

I agree with you as well the titan motor with just an exhaust is super sexy. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I would LOVE to have that motor in my car.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:57 PM
abui01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh snap, more issues? Thought all the kinks would be worked out in the last thread. You're the only person I know of with such bad luck. You should get my build Chris, its pretty darn reliable, just maybe 150 less whp shy of your setup but it runs smooth! I need to see you on the road more often.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:57 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I already hinted at this in your last thread without knowing you lacked an oil cooler.

*What happens to oil pressure when the oil gets too hot?

*Do you know how fast your oil temp rises every time you hit boost or even just cruise along at high speeds?

*Have you considered what component(s) go first when you cook the oil?

Connect the dots yet?

Last edited by djamps; 06-23-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Barnabas

chris was the oil cooler even suggested to you and you turned it down?? or you just never thought you wouldnt need it and since noone said anything you figured you were safe...
Old 06-23-2010, 01:20 PM
The Fallen

lol..i am only going to touch on this post only and not take more the focus away from the thread.
OK did you missed looking how when his build started he 1st started how he had all those weird location brackets, fixes that didn't involved clean welds, or hacking too much for fitments on something he claimed it doesn't when many other never had an issue with fitments, how he gutted the car, and he clearly mentioned that he wasn't off about looks, etc...does he have ac and other accessories right now? no, they were clearly removed...yeah thats something all turbo kit builders should ask of their customers to fit their kits...or hammer out a firewall to make clearance.. or ultra hack a radiator support....etc..
I am not saying he didn't finish the build properly, or that it doesn't work......ovbiously the fine details make no difference as far as the sound or if he did fit a large turbo and weather it makes the power or not......you could build a "bucket" of a Del sol and fab the piping that flows well and put a huge turbo in there and drive with no issues and it would sound awesome too... which is what you mentioned and not what i was going about...... it had nothing to do with the PL build on why he switched... i don't think for him any kit would have done it for him since he just wanted that bigger engine, he said that in his threads. ....i clearly praised him in his threads for doing the DIY work that many were afraid to do. So i am not going to call you an idiot and get the panties wet like you seemed... i just think its nice to see you sticking up for your friend , really... sorry if it seem I was putting him down... ghetto isn't like if i was calling it trash...read my post again...i even used "" to make a point that i wasn't actually trying to trash him...i clearly mentioned about "cleanness", and knowing the OP being big on having every quality on every detail, i don't think he would want that, or being with out accessories on his car....so really props for his DIY work!

BTW that filter thing, i made it clear that its not that it cant be fabricated, but that making it fit with asking someone to do some modification son the car would take the kit outside the scoop of a more mainstream DIY off the self kit...a 4" exhaust can be fitted no isses..i have one, and it sits quite high.. a 3.5" dp can be fitted too...only difference is that mine does look very nice and clean as i would expect for the cost paid, at the end as i would NOT accept a mock up fitted pipe in there...
SO then vs an off the self kit... yeah lol.. that s a nice comparison of a off the self kit to a custom fab kit(apples oranges)....greddy must suck for not being capable of putting 3.5" dps.

Rcdash stop just latching on to anything as long as it helps your on going feud, you are clever...if you think booger welds are acceptable for a shop quality then i am going to remind you of the zig rude had that you cried to have it removed, there is a difference in what you assume to be quality from a shop that you will pay the work for, and vs a DIY....i clearly said that when its DIY it adds value to the build in the reward sense...it doesn't matter how clean the welds are, fact is mark can weld a turbo kit, fit tough sized piping and taken on a huge challenge..., since its his build and its not building the car for someone else, he doesn't have to worry about some details as long as what he did works, which it does.
Sometimes you have to make sacrifices when building a street "race" car. IPs fully built, ***** to the walls, G making more hp at the time went .2 seconds faster at the same MPH as his car when it had a cammed/75 shot stock LS2 with bone stock suspension and 17" rims and tires and a -what you would call- a sub par launch. Not too bad if you ask me. Also, something else I found something a little funny, is the fact that they blamed his Powerlab install issues on lack of mechanical skill.

Either 1000hp reliably or no AC? To some people that's an easy choice, in both ways. A simple NO THANKS I NEED AC or F*ck AC ill stick with a4" downpipe and sweat a little. You mention no accessories but AC is the only one no longer on that car and if you read back in his powerlab days he removed the AC then because of fitment issues with the pipe. As far as hammering a firewall who cares? From all the pictures you can see he didn't CUT the firewall just massaged it to get a 6 liter engine and 88 mm turbo to fit in place of a 3.5 liter engine and AC.

And lastly, you talk about booger welds and then talk about wanting clean welds, do you NOT see the quality of the welds done? There is no boogering or half assing and is pretty damn good in my opinion for a non shop build. Every thing on the car has been tig welded not migged. Also, the outside of the car is absolutely flawless and is by far one of the cleanest Zs around here along with ttuberz Z so even though you say you aren't bashing your "clever" comments surely say differently. Ok back to your build. Good luck on engine number 5.

Last edited by The Fallen; 06-23-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:23 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Barnabas
chris was the oil cooler even suggested to you and you turned it down?? or you just never thought you wouldnt need it and since noone said anything you figured you were safe...
Even better: did anyone tell you it was not necessary?

That's only slightly worse than not having it recommended it at all with such a build.

Last edited by djamps; 06-23-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Barnabas
Dave @ F:T had suggested it a while back and Frank may have done the same, but none of the shops I have worked with made it seem like a prority or a must have item. My current tuner said he just assumed I had one because it is standard on any build where you basically double the stock hp on a car.

I got a call that the Blackstone analysis came back today. They saw the early signs of bearing failure and stated that the good news was the it appeared to have been caught early enough to prevent a full-on failure. That was one day prior to the FZAIL ..... CLASSIC.

Just for the record, Frank told me to park the car and wait for the oil analysis to come back. Had it not been 2am at the time I'm sure he would have asked to keep the car and asked me to find a ride home.

Got the exhaust and driveshaft out today, hopefully get the front brace and such off tomorrow and be ready to pull it on Saturday. I'm learning a lot, but crawling around under the car for hours a day is kicking my a$$.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Barnabas

damn man I wish I was free this weekend I would swing by and help you out.

Ill hit you up sunday on our way way back from NJ/NY
Old 06-23-2010, 01:37 PM
The Fallen

So whats your next course of action? Are you going to rebuild the VQ setup?
Old 06-23-2010, 01:39 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Cass007
Dave @ F:T had suggested it a while back and Frank may have done the same, but none of the shops I have worked with made it seem like a prority or a must have item. My current tuner said he just assumed I had one because it is standard on any build where you basically double the stock hp on a car.

I got a call that the Blackstone analysis came back today. They saw the early signs of bearing failure and stated that the good news was the it appeared to have been caught early enough to prevent a full-on failure. That was one day prior to the FZAIL ..... CLASSIC.

Just for the record, Frank told me to park the car and wait for the oil analysis to come back. Had it not been 2am at the time I'm sure he would have asked to keep the car and asked me to find a ride home.

Got the exhaust and driveshaft out today, hopefully get the front brace and such off tomorrow and be ready to pull it on Saturday. I'm learning a lot, but crawling around under the car for hours a day is kicking my a$$.
If there is just signs of bearing material and not utter failure....you can just replace the bearings and put it back without much issue....if it actually failed there will probably be some other issues.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Cass007

Edit... enough with the Snyper vs Jorge and Rude vs Raj please. I know everyone except Snyper and enjoy calling you all friends. You can throw down in other threads

Quick Reply: Cass007.... ver 5.0