Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Cass007.... ver 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
If there is just signs of bearing material and not utter failure....you can just replace the bearings and put it back without much issue....if it actually failed there will probably be some other issues.
Trust me Mike, its completely f***ed. This is the most material I have seen in the pan yet I pounded those bishes out harder than a $10 *****.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by The Fallen
So whats your next course of action? Are you going to rebuild the VQ setup?
Still evaluating options. JE Preformance is somewhat local and they sell a full kit for the LS swap.

damn man I wish I was free this weekend I would swing by and help you out.

Ill hit you up sunday on our way way back from NJ/NY
Hit me up Barney, the wife is away all next week with the kid and I have the house to myself. Was considering a possible Mid-A get together at my place.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

me frank suzanne nicole and all are goign to the maxxis event in NJ for sat. the hotel is like 15 min from Manhattan soo nicole wants to shop on sunday. If you want we can swing by on our way back down
Old 06-23-2010, 02:26 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you contemplated putting it back to stock, selling, and picking up a newer Z or G with the HR/VHR motor?
Old 06-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

[QUOTE=Cass007;8477760]Still evaluating options. JE Preformance is somewhat local and they sell a full kit for the LS swap.

If you are fortunate enough to consider the LS swap please consider the 2JZ swap as well from tech2. It would be badass to have a current forum member to run it. The LS1 or 2 swap is awesome indeed but nothing is sicker then a good ole 2JZ with a big ole turbo. Also for a RB26/25 swap jdmeginezone is a good JDM motor warehouse in NJ which has a "good" and clean RB26 available now (asking 3K) Bunch of good guys. I've been to the warehouse scouting sr20's for my s14. A few badass options if your fortunate enough. GL either way
Old 06-23-2010, 02:51 PM
MDHRZ

I still like this idea. I'm sure JE can pull it off...
Old 06-23-2010, 02:54 PM
jtgli

Originally Posted by MDHRZ
I still like this idea. I'm sure JE can pull it off...
That is pure win! I'd love to do a swap haha. Chris lets do it!
Old 06-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Chris@FsP
Have you contemplated putting it back to stock, selling, and picking up a newer Z or G with the HR/VHR motor?
No overly wild on the 370. If I go a different direction, I would part out every single piece of this car and then pay to take the shell to a local junkyard and watch it get crushed. I would save a small piece to use on my office desk as a paperweight.

My tuner loves the 2JZ, he's had two 800+whp Supras in his shop the past couple times I've been down to see him.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Blck350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

..... I'd love a V8 sound coming from a 350.... .....but the 2JZ sounds like a great option too...... I'm up for a meet BTW if you want to do it!!! I'll bring you a bottle of whatever you like b/c...... well.... I just feel bad
Old 06-23-2010, 04:52 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a 2JZ setup with a turbo would run ya another 20,000$ as you have nothing thats reusable from your current build.. Just because those blocks can hold a good bit of power doesnt mean that the intake manifold, turbo manifolds, new turbo, ems, etc is free.

I guess if everything is a total loss, its kinda a moot point on which direction you go.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:56 PM
jtgli

^ very true, its really what direction you would like to go and how much risk/reward you are looking for....well at this point i would just say risk....
Old 06-23-2010, 06:05 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I'd like to know what Justice Racing has to say. I mean this is their machine work and their assembly. Won't they help a repeat customer out, if nothing else? This shouldn't be rocket science. Just get clearances triple checked, make sure it's all clean, put on an oil cooler, and start boosting again. Maybe Justice will give you a great deal...
Old 06-24-2010, 04:55 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

While I will not argue the benefits of an oil cooler, everybody blaming this on a lack of an OC seems silly.

I have beat the living p!ss out of my car and while in the end other things have failed, nothing on my end can be attributed to not having an oil cooler. And I spin to 8000rpm's with no girdle as well.

Id stay far, FAR away from the machine shop(s) who had a hand in your build, and maybe try different bearings..
Old 06-24-2010, 04:59 AM
jtgli

Originally Posted by Alberto
While I will not argue the benefits of an oil cooler, everybody blaming this on a lack of an OC seems silly.

I have beat the living p!ss out of my car and while in the end other things have failed, nothing on my end can be attributed to not having an oil cooler. And I spin to 8000rpm's with no girdle as well.

Id stay far, FAR away from the machine shop(s) who had a hand in your build, and maybe try different bearings..
So I can assume you still dont have an oil cooler then? I agree that it has to be one of the shops the had a hand in Chris' motor build as well. 4 failed motors is just simply retarded and esp all from the same thing. Someone isnt doing their job right and trying to cover it up by blaming other parts.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:10 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Alberto

Justice builds race motors all day, every day. I have had two different shops do machine work. Shortblocks assembled by Frank Hill and Justice Racing. Longblocks assembled by Frank, Justice and Dave @ F:T and all have died a similar death. Also, I've used ACL, Cosworth and standard Nissan bearings in the builds... all look similar in the pan in the end

Jim Justice has been great in answering all my emails on options and pricing and will help me along with Franz on the motor teardown to possibly diagnose why this continually happens. Like always, I need to evaluate how much whp I want vs how much $$$$ I am willing to spend to get there.

I have considered just throwing a stock block in it and making it drivable, but that seems too much like pussification IMO.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:51 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Cass007
Justice builds race motors all day, every day. I have had two different shops do machine work. Shortblocks assembled by Frank Hill and Justice Racing. Longblocks assembled by Frank, Justice and Dave @ F:T and all have died a similar death. Also, I've used ACL, Cosworth and standard Nissan bearings in the builds... all look similar in the pan in the end

Jim Justice has been great in answering all my emails on options and pricing and will help me along with Franz on the motor teardown to possibly diagnose why this continually happens. Like always, I need to evaluate how much whp I want vs how much $$$$ I am willing to spend to get there.

I have considered just throwing a stock block in it and making it drivable, but that seems too much like pussification IMO.
well cass, its really no pun intended by saying this, but after all of the past issues and aosme negligence too, you shoudl really go with albertos advice, -Id stay far, FAR away from the machine shop(s) who had a hand in your build....i am not saying they are incapable, but you need to change the variables of what is going on on your build, cuase there is just too much coincidence on the failure... and i dont think you have used the same block on all builds, there has to be a critical flaw/error that gets repeated, or the same person involve keeps repeating it(i am sure not on purpuse)....and +1 on not pussifying

i think also that albertos point, is the same as mine about overfixiating on the oil cooler, considering that i am sure cass has other cooling mods... i mean seriously i dont want to make it to the point like a few years back when it was somehow becoming a must that you had to flush the system weekly and change to evans coolant only and that it was natural to overheat that much........and of course many probably still belive thats just normal and acceptable...it helps but you shouldnt depend on it.

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 06-24-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:23 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Everyone has an opinion Chris and its easy to assign blame rather than doing some detective work. You've got to make a decision based on the facts available to you. Check out this informative link on engine bearing failure: http://www.nb-cofrisa.com/docs/web_fallos_ing.PDF

The facts are that you have not eliminated the possibility of two primary causes of bearing failure - overheating/lube failure and overloading. Like you said Justice Racing builds motors all day, every day. I have a hard time believing this was human error on their part.

I can understand the pain on the pocket book side of things, but if a change is to be recommended in this regard, it wouldn't be to go with a 2jz or ls2, but more importantly, go to a single shop that you trust will take responsibility for all the work done to the car. It's the mantra of the FI forum. Good luck man.

Last edited by rcdash; 06-24-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:49 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Did Justice assemble the motor as well as do the machine work?
Old 06-24-2010, 07:00 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
well cass, its really no pun intended by saying this, but after all of the past issues and aosme negligence too, you shoudl really go with albertos advice, -Id stay far, FAR away from the machine shop(s) who had a hand in your build....i am not saying they are incapable, but you need to change the variables of what is going on on your build, cuase there is just too much coincidence on the failure... and i dont think you have used the same block on all builds, there has to be a critical flaw/error that gets repeated, or the same person involve keeps repeating it(i am sure not on purpuse)....and +1 on not pussifying

i think also that albertos point, is the same as mine about overfixiating on the oil cooler, considering that i am sure cass has other cooling mods... i mean seriously i dont want to make it to the point like a few years back when it was somehow becoming a must that you had to flush the system weekly and change to evns coolant only and that it was natural to overhat that much........and of course many probably still belive thats just normal and acceptable.
What other cooling mods does he have?

What other cooling mods help control oil temps other than an oil cooler?

Even the NA Nismo has a cooler.

Call it overly fixated if you guys want, but it seems like a pretty common issue so far. 3 engine builders, 4 motors with bearing failure, low oil pressure, no oil cooler.

Last edited by djamps; 06-24-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:08 AM
ajcool2

I would sell the car and buy a supra but thats just me.

Quick Reply: Cass007.... ver 5.0