Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Cass007.... ver 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 07:08 AM
MDHRZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR
IMO..... It's not the VQ.... so many builds out there that have not blown up.
Then what is it?
Old 06-20-2010, 07:49 AM
GreenGoblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will say it....
It's the machine shop and engine builder who don't know what they are doing apparently.

Last edited by GreenGoblin; 06-20-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:29 AM
ARMSTRONGARMS

Originally Posted by buzzardmountain
jesus christ.....i don't think i'll ever go fi when i keep reading these stories.
+1000000000000000000000000000000000
Old 06-20-2010, 08:36 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by idwin
Nah, just keep it simple, unless you're building a dedicated race car. Boost is so much fun when it's done right.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:39 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
I will say it....
It's the machine shop and engine builder who don't know what they are doing apparently.
I would have to agree with you on this as the same builder has done all the work on chris's engine.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:05 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by MDHRZ
Then what is it?
Chris , Keith and Danny has answered it for me..... People should not blame the VQ for mistakes of others when you have shops like SP making over 1200 whp on the same motor.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:34 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Everytime I contemplate spending more money on my car, threads like this come up and I realize I should probably just keep saving my coins and move to another platform...
Old 06-20-2010, 11:43 AM
UMW350Z

Originally Posted by JAM3Z
Everytime I contemplate spending more money on my car, threads like this come up and I realize I should probably just keep saving my coins and move to another platform...
+1 This whole saga is quite depressing

I think supercharged and the others may be onto the culprit on this...but how can you prove it. IPP sells those full longblocks, I'd interested in seeing how those hold up, you don't run the risk of another 'hand in the cookie jar' if you buy the longblock as opposed to assembling the shortblock.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:32 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Chris, sorry to hear about this. No one would blame you for throwing in the towel, but your perserverence is becoming legendary and your car looks too sick to just let it go! Stick with it bro if you can - next ZdayZ is just around the corner - and this is an opportunity to tweak it a little bit more.

So in the spirit of moving forward, I think you'd be a perfect candidate for a ProEFI 128 EMS unit. I have been very impressed with the failsafe capabilites of this unit and if there's one thing that can warn you in advance and protect the car, it's that piece of hardware. My car is running great with the Haltech, but there are no spare inputs/outputs for failsafe control - I've got to manually watch gauges like a hawk. That vigilance has saved me when my trans and oil temps have skyrocketed in the past, but the ProEFI could've just turned a light on for me. How simple yet brilliant is that?
Old 06-20-2010, 03:43 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
how many times do you "throw 5G at it" before you cut your losses
that's all him on that decision. he madeit what, 3 times before?

my point was just to buy a prebuilt block and just swap them instead of taking it to a shop and having the whole thing torn down again.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:40 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

WOW!

What do you even do at this point? YOu cant dump the car without putting alot of money and time into it. Last time you spun a bearing it wiped out everything, correct? turbos, heads etc?

Bearings gone multiple times is just not a coincidence.

If you do rebuild, swapping to a laggy 1 off single isnt the best idea either. Your kit has plenty of power, sounds like your EMS was killing you. 600+ on pump/meth shoulda been more than enough to give the guys out at the strip the blinkers
Old 06-21-2010, 06:50 AM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Chris sorry to hear.

I'm going with everyone else on this.....there is no coincidence...you have had the same failure multiple times and you are down to only one common factor!

I don't even know what to think for you.

Good luck on whatever you decide....

Tom
Old 06-21-2010, 07:32 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Thanks Guys. I'm still considering multiple options right now and hope to have the motor out by the end of the week for a teardown.

In the meantime I've fallen into my old vices to get me by, golf, poker, southern comfort and my sportbike. I took the R1 out today for the first time in over a year and it was like... well, like riding a bike . I forgot how relaxing it was to take the long way everywhere just cruising the backroads with the I-pod hooked up to the helmet.

Working today for a few hours, but should be back to pulling the engine by tomorrow. I will snap a few pics and load them up in a day or two.

Oh, Rich is correct, the last two times the bearings failed I lost the whole setup, motor, heads, cams, turbos.... everything. There is no reason to think this time will be any different. Best guess is a minimum of $7-9K to replace everything and get back on the road
Old 06-21-2010, 08:01 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by idwin
Originally Posted by Chris@FsP
Nah, just keep it simple, unless you're building a dedicated race car. Boost is so much fun when it's done right.
Originally Posted by JAM3Z
I'm sure boost is fun.......hell, I still have a boner from riding in Luie's car from a couple ZdayZ ago.

I'm sitting here in my office staring at these two boxes with the APS kit in them and thinking, you know what, right now (no FI) my freaking car starts up everytime I try it. That is fun for me....

Again, so sorry Chris that you're going through this crap.....
Old 06-21-2010, 08:32 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by thom000001
Damn Chris sorry to hear.

I'm going with everyone else on this.....there is no coincidence...you have had the same failure multiple times and you are down to only one common factor!

I don't even know what to think for you.

Good luck on whatever you decide....

Tom
Lots of common factors actually:

- machine shop
- tuner
- no oil cooler (remember the low oil pressure, hot temps Dave relayed while tuning?)
- spinning to 8k rpms with no girdle
- Vipec EMS

While it may be easy to point the finger at one of the top two, these guys wouldn't be in business if every motor build ended up like this.

Last edited by rcdash; 06-21-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

- same owner
- same possibly cursed car

Buzzard, did Acree ever finsh your lights for you. I'm next in line and currently have some downtime...

Raj - tuner was different this time around. I highly doubt the ViPEC is playing a role in this, but who knows. Other than the anti-lag I don't see what the ViPEC is doing any differently than the other EMS options.

Last edited by Cass007; 06-21-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:05 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

My money is on incorrect tolerances and revving beyond the capabilities of the current engine setup.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:12 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cass007
Buzzard, did Acree ever finsh your lights for you. I'm next in line and currently have some downtime...
Not yet....which reminds me, I need to send him an email.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:27 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by Cass007
- same owner
- same possibly cursed car

Raj - tuner was different this time around. I highly doubt the ViPEC is playing a role in this, but who knows. Other than the anti-lag I don't see what the ViPEC is doing any differently than the other EMS options.
Chris, nothing wrong per se with the ViPEC - just indicating a common element and the fact that an option exists which provides failsafes for our platform. It would be an expensive switch for admittedly only incremental benefit over the ViPEC. Debating that myself...

If Justice will compensate you, then you've got a tough decision. If they won't then making a change seems prudent regardless of the underlying cause.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:31 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Vas_Z33 Snypers did it for anything by the reason being discussed, and his DIY worked but it was "ghetto" and sub part from any fabriation/clean work that cass would want. Though when its DIY it has a separate reward of its own even if nobody else sees it.
For how i like big singles... an 88mm puts cass car away from most streetdriving......Ls waps or not....and doesnt address the real issues.

And, yeah i agree with xkr and thom(Bearings gone multiple times is just not a coincidence)... this is just horrible news... the lack of action on the thread is clear that...there just isnt much that cant be said...ot that a lot has been said about already.... i have a feeling rude may have been right again even though his comments didn't please many in the "choir" .....i actually wish he wasnt right on this one as its not worth being right and have a result cass sufering.......I truly hate "dreams" being squashed like this.
I didnt consider the overving when 1st mentioning the griddle, so thats a good point by FailS and rcdash, not sure how much EMS would do since i am not familiar with vipec, though at the point of some builds, its those incremental and unatainable otherwise benefits that you upgrade to. With regards to the oil cooler,....err

fact is the "head/brain" tells you to walk away from a build.... the moment the bill is over 25k and the car is not done after 8 months...in many cases it all goes away when t he build is done, in other cases takes a bit longer but turns up ok, and there are others that just have "bad luck" (to say the least).... at this point with cass, he is well past that.... IMO he "should" not walk away, but the focus of the build...turbo kit could be one...but some variables on parts/install need to change IMO...

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 06-21-2010 at 10:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Cass007.... ver 5.0