Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Another Vortech V3 Setup...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Threads

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

928M Impeller
928M 2.62" Pulley
928M BLV

I just installed the impeller, and I still need to install the Pulley and BLV. Should be getting re-tuned sometime next week. Trying for 450whp on stock internals. Stay tuned for results.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:33 AM
350Z400rwhp

Interested in seeing your torque curve
Old 04-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Erdem

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow!! My plan exactly.. I was hoping for 500+

Are you going to upgrade the IC?
I think it's important to keep the heat down since your on stock block
Old 04-12-2011, 01:50 PM
chrisjersey06

Sub'd, let us know how it goes.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Bigchef66

sub'd for results
I have just gotten a haltech and have very similar mods to yours with the exception of a SSV inlet manifold. 928 Impeller coming after Haltech is installed. Would be interested in the maps you are using on the haltech. Shoot me a PM if you don't mind sharing...
Old 04-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Threads

Originally Posted by Erdem
Wow!! My plan exactly.. I was hoping for 500+

Are you going to upgrade the IC?
I think it's important to keep the heat down since your on stock block
Now that you said that, I will likely upgrade my IC. I remember the great results a my350z member had by switching it out for a better unit. I'll probably upgrade the IC and the return fuel system in the future.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:59 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

GL with your setup..

waiting for the results.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:02 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow...Impressive considering you still got a stock block...I seen some stability issue with that valve, but hopefully you can get it to work right...

Good luck OP, but considering you're already pushing ~12psi with the stock setup, I would have some money saved up for a built shortblock just in case...

I burned my piston rings eventually on my old stock setup and an SI trim blower @ about 12 psi...
Old 04-13-2011, 08:26 AM
MUZZY

GL, +1 on save money for building your engine back, it is not going to last long on 12psi
Old 04-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Threads

Originally Posted by maXmood
GL with your setup..

waiting for the results.
Originally Posted by 350z006
Wow...Impressive considering you still got a stock block...I seen some stability issue with that valve, but hopefully you can get it to work right...

Good luck OP, but considering you're already pushing ~12psi with the stock setup, I would have some money saved up for a built shortblock just in case...

I burned my piston rings eventually on my old stock setup and an SI trim blower @ about 12 psi...
Originally Posted by MUZZY
GL, +1 on save money for building your engine back, it is not going to last long on 12psi
Thanks for all the kind words guys.

I was under the impression torque was the biggest killer of our stock DE blocks. With that being said, I don't expect this setup to get more than 375wtq. 375-400wtq seemed to be about the threshold after looking at a lot of blown motor postings. However, I wasn't immediately aware of weak piston rings, and I did not implicitly consider the possibilty of them failing. I do have some money saved up for an built shortblock(and I rather avoid that route if I can), but I really feel like this motor should last with a good tune. Or maybe I am just being naive.

If it gets to be too much I can always turn down the boost with my BLV.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:21 AM
wizard

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

fyi, i've been running 13 psi v3 on stock block with 400hub hp for around half a year or so. I do drive the car hard, so far engine seems to be okay *touch wood*
Old 07-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Threads

Update (Well Kinda):
I know it has been a while since my last post... Currently, I am waiting on a S Trim volute before I get tuned/dyno'ed.

Long story short, I damaged a seal when installing the 928M impeller. I sent the blower out to 928M for repairs and was told about the damage. In addition, I was also informed that my volute was not a match for their upgraded impeller. Previously, on the 928M website (and on my receipt), it stated the impeller was made for both S and SC trim blowers. My blower was a SCi Trim, which is a different volute than the two they had advertised (For some reason I thought the impeller was still applicable to my blower). 928M informed me that the impeller was strictly made for S Trim (Not including Si, SC, or SCi Trims) blowers/volutes only. The gentleman at 928M realized they made an advertising mistake and offered me a refund for my impeller. Because he told me that the impeller would still work, just not as efficient, I told them I'd rather keep the upgraded impeller and find/install a S Trim volute.

As the car stands now, I am running the 2.62" pulley and upgraded impeller with the SCi Trim volute. I'm seeing about 14-15psi. Once I find a S Trim volute, I'll install the BLV and limit the psi to around the same as is now (14-15psi, assuming I can nab more boost). I will also get retuned and will be sure to post the dyno charts!

Hopefully this post can give some clarity to the 928M upgraded impeller applications. I know when I was researching the impeller before I purchased, there was some uncertainty with what blowers it worked with.

Last edited by Threads; 07-06-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:27 PM
350zhp306

Originally Posted by Threads
Update (Well Kinda):
I know it has been a while since my last post... Currently, I am waiting on a S Trim volute before I get tuned/dyno'ed.

Long story short, I damaged a seal when installing the 928M impeller. I sent the blower out to 928M for repairs and was told about the damage. In addition, I was also informed that my volute was not a match for their upgraded impeller. Previously, on the 928M website (and on my receipt), it stated the impeller was made for both S and SC trim blowers. My blower was a SCi Trim, which is a different volute than the two they had advertised (For some reason I thought the impeller was still applicable to my blower). 928M informed me that the impeller was strictly made for S Trim (Not including Si, SC, or SCi Trims) blowers/volutes only. The gentleman at 928M realized they made an advertising mistake and offered me a refund for my impeller. Because he told me that the impeller would still work, just not as efficient, I told them I'd rather keep the upgraded impeller and find/install a S Trim volute.

As the car stands now, I am running the 2.62" pulley and upgraded impeller with the SCi Trim volute. I'm seeing about 14-15psi. Once I find a S Trim volute, I'll install the BLV and limit the psi to around the same as is now (14-15psi, assuming I can nab more boost). I will also get retuned and will be sure to post the dyno charts!

Hopefully this post can give some clarity to the 928M upgraded impeller applications. I know when I was researching the impeller before I purchased, there was some uncertainty with what blowers it worked with.
I bought a Vortech V3 last year. I was wondering how do you tell if you have a Sc-Trim or SCi-Trim or S-Trim volute? I know that the Si volute is slightly larger than the ones mentioned. I wanted to eventually do the 928m impeller upgrade also.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:31 AM
Threads

Originally Posted by 350zhp306
I bought a Vortech V3 last year. I was wondering how do you tell if you have a Sc-Trim or SCi-Trim or S-Trim volute? I know that the Si volute is slightly larger than the ones mentioned. I wanted to eventually do the 928m impeller upgrade also.
You SHOULD be able to tell the trim via the stamp on the blower (assuming the blower hasn't been upgraded/tampered with). However, I don't think all V's have the trim on the stamp. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable can chime in.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:16 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Threads
Update (Well Kinda):

Good to know for sure. I remember str8dum1 saying he didn't think it would work. Seems like a lot of bad stories about people trying to install 928's on their own though.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:07 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

FYI the stock vortech intercooler sucks bawls... another member got way lower IAT's and like +30whp replacing it with an ebay intercooler.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:21 AM
str8dum1

that member also blew his car up after not taking any advice and was gonna use a used parts for the rebuild. grain of salt...
Old 07-07-2011, 12:20 PM
- bigc -

^ ah, i miss ole GT-ER...
Old 07-07-2011, 12:38 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
that member also blew his car up after not taking any advice and was gonna use a used parts for the rebuild. grain of salt...
Yea but still.. IAT's don't lie. I honestly never seen anyone around here (mid-A I mean) run the tiny stock intercooler and push >400WHP.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:48 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Just adding my 2 cents here on the 928 impeller vs volute type...

OP I was pretty surprised when 928 Motorsports (I'm assuming you spoke to Carl) told you that your SCi trim V3 volute was not compatible with the 928 Impeller...particularly since I know I don't have an S trim blower myself, and if you look at my thread I made >17 psi no problem...

So I called Vortech and verified with them what my blower model was, and then verified that I have a V2 Sc trim...and then I asked them if there was any difference between the S trim, Sc trim and Sci trim volutes from V1 to V3, and they confirmed that there was no difference between them...

So I'm pretty baffled why 928 told you what they did...I have dealt with Carl at 928 when I had him rebuild my blower and installed my 928 impeller, and there were no problems...I just didn't want you to waste your time trying to find a S trim volute, because it probably won't be easy to get one....my blower only has the V2 stamp and serial number and carb #, so the only way to verify the trim is to call Vortech with your serial number...

Last edited by 350z006; 07-22-2011 at 12:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Another Vortech V3 Setup...