Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Another Vortech V3 Setup...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 04:56 AM
Threads

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350z006
Just adding my 2 cents here on the 928 impeller vs volute type...

OP I was pretty surprised when 928 Motorsports (I'm assuming you spoke to Carl) told you that your SCi trim V3 volute was not compatible with the 928 Impeller...particularly since I know I don't have an S trim blower myself, and if you look at my thread I made >17 psi no problem...

So I called Vortech and verified with them what my blower model was, and then verified that I have a V2 Sc trim...and then I asked them if there was any difference between the S trim, Sc trim and Sci trim volutes from V1 to V3, and they confirmed that there was no difference between them...

So I'm pretty baffled why 928 told you what they did...I have dealt with Carl at 928 when I had him rebuild my blower and installed my 928 impeller, and there were no problems...I just didn't want you to waste your time trying to find a S trim volute, because it probably won't be easy to get one....my blower only has the V2 stamp and serial number and carb #, so the only way to verify the trim is to call Vortech with your serial number...
Thanks for your reply! Now I'm really confused.

Carl @ 928 told me that when he received my blower for repair he could see that the impeller was not a match for my volute. At that time, they even changed their "applicable" trims from S/SC to just S trim on the impeller product page on their website.

It's been awhile, but I remember Vortech telling me that the volutes were all different, as well with some research on the web confirming that. I think I will give Vortech another call today to confirm. I will also try to beg them to let me buy a S-trim volute that comes in for the T-trim upgrade. (Apparently they send the old volute/impeller to scrap metal)

I'm only making 14-15psi with the 928 impeller and 2.62 pulley. To be fair, my setup isn't fully dialed in yet, so I'm sure I have other variables which affect that number. So I would like to thing SOMETHING is up. For comparison, I was making 12-14 with the stock impeller and 2.87 pulley. Maybe the SC trim is more close into spec with the S trim?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:24 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Corrections and retractions

I just spoke to another Vortech guy who's worried about the same issue you have, and he told me he called Vortech and they told him his V3 blower was the newer SCi trim, and they told him that the SCi trim has a part of the voltue that is < 1/8" thicker than the SC trim volute ...

So I would call Vortech and verify which version you have, but according to my source the 350z blowers after 2008 are probably SCi trims...and chances are all V3 blowers are probably SCi as well; give Vortech a call with your serial number...I do know that my V2 blower is a SC trim; I don't know why Vortech told me what they did, but it was probably because they were focused on the fact that i had a SC and I guess S = SC trim volute...

OP, I suppose you can try shopping for a S or SC trim volute at this point...

Also, what is your cog pulley setup? With my revup setup and a fluidampr crank pulley (6.125 diameter vs 5.75" OEM crank diameter) I'm spinning the blower to ~60k rpm. You may be getting belt slip...the Vortech jackshaft pulleys are notorious for slipping for pulley smaller than 3.12" size at higher rpm...you can either tighten your belt like a mother effer, or try another pulley like 928 or Riechard Racing pulley if you're hardcore; my inital testing was with the Vortech 2.87" and it was slipping and limiting my boost to about 15~16 psi until my tuner added some belt dressing...I switched to a 928 2.75" pulley and my slippage went away...

Originally Posted by Threads
Thanks for your reply! Now I'm really confused.

Carl @ 928 told me that when he received my blower for repair he could see that the impeller was not a match for my volute. At that time, they even changed their "applicable" trims from S/SC to just S trim on the impeller product page on their website.

It's been awhile, but I remember Vortech telling me that the volutes were all different, as well with some research on the web confirming that. I think I will give Vortech another call today to confirm. I will also try to beg them to let me buy a S-trim volute that comes in for the T-trim upgrade. (Apparently they send the old volute/impeller to scrap metal)

I'm only making 14-15psi with the 928 impeller and 2.62 pulley. To be fair, my setup isn't fully dialed in yet, so I'm sure I have other variables which affect that number. So I would like to thing SOMETHING is up. For comparison, I was making 12-14 with the stock impeller and 2.87 pulley. Maybe the SC trim is more close into spec with the S trim?

Last edited by 350z006; 08-03-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:53 AM
Threads

Corrections and retractions

I just spoke to another Vortech guy who's worried about the same issue you have, and he told me he called Vortech and they told him his V3 blower was the newer SCi trim, and they told him that the SCi trim has a part of the voltue that is < 1/8" thicker than the SC trim volute ...

So I would call Vortech and verify which version you have, but according to my source the 350z blowers after 2008 are probably SCi trims...and chances are all V3 blowers are probably SCi as well; give Vortech a call with your serial number...I do know that my V2 blower is a SC trim; I don't know why Vortech told me what they did, but it was probably because they were focused on the fact that i had a SC and I guess S = SC trim volute...

OP, I suppose you can try shopping for a S or SC trim volute at this point...

Also, what is your cog pulley setup? With my revup setup and a fluidampr crank pulley (6.125 diameter vs 5.75" OEM crank diameter) I'm spinning the blower to ~60k rpm. You may be getting belt slip...the Vortech jackshaft pulleys are notorious for slipping for pulley smaller than 3.12" size at higher rpm...you can either tighten your belt like a mother effer, or try another pulley like 928 or Riechard Racing pulley if you're hardcore; my inital testing was with the Vortech 2.87" and it was slipping and limiting my boost to about 15~16 psi until my tuner added some belt dressing...I switched to a 928 2.75" pulley and my slippage went away...
I will ask Vortech about the differences between the S and SC trim volutes. However, if 928M said their impeller was designed for just the S trim, then that's what I'll prefer.

I have a stock cog pulley setup. I'm a non rev-up with a 928M 2.62 pulley. I'm seeing around the same amount of boost as i did with my SCi impeller and 2.87 pulley. As I stated, I don't have my setup 100% dialed in correctly, so I still may have some variables affecting that number.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Threads

Sorry for the lack of updates for those of you who have subscribed.

I FINALLY caught a break with finding an S-trim volute! The gentleman over at Vortech was nice enough to search their inventory for the said volute. He happened to find one that had been sitting on the shelve for 2 years! They have decided to sell me the volute, but I must send them my blower so that it can get shimmed correctly. Right now my car is still pushing about 12-13psi. I cannot wait to see what it will do with the correct volute and clearances.

I am also looking at getting an upgraded intercooler. I have my eyes set on one made by Spearco, but f**k, $700+ for an intercooler is a lot of dough. Anyone know of any vendors on the forum who could provide better pricing?

Once i get the blower back from Vortech, and I fix my fueling issue, I will be heading back for a tune. Stay tuned for results!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:52 AM
VQ35deMax

Look at the intercoolers from Treadstone Performance.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Threads

Originally Posted by VQ35deMax
Look at the intercoolers from Treadstone Performance.
I have considered intercoolers from Treadstone. However, they don't seem to have any real efficient intercoolers for the sizes that they offer. I'm really trying to avoid cutting the crash bar.

The Spearco intercooler that I'm looking at is:

24.00" x 7.90" x 3.50" and is rated for 740hp.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:09 PM
350z006

Congrats! May you make the most of the 928 Impeller like I have...

BTW...I'm retiring my trusty 928 blower and replacing it with the YSi, so I recently purchased a new bigger intercooler for that monster blower, I'm conceding having to cut my crash bar...I can sell you my current intercooler in you're interested, also from spearco, 5-312, good to 550hp...and you won't have to cut the crash bar...

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/node/81

I think it's the biggest intercooler from spearco you can get without cutting the crash bar...

BTW...did you mention to Vortech that you were installing an aftermarket impeller on your blower?

Sorry for the lack of updates for those of you who have subscribed.

I FINALLY caught a break with finding an S-trim volute! The gentleman over at Vortech was nice enough to search their inventory for the said volute. He happened to find one that had been sitting on the shelve for 2 years! They have decided to sell me the volute, but I must send them my blower so that it can get shimmed correctly. Right now my car is still pushing about 12-13psi. I cannot wait to see what it will do with the correct volute and clearances.

I am also looking at getting an upgraded intercooler. I have my eyes set on one made by Spearco, but f**k, $700+ for an intercooler is a lot of dough. Anyone know of any vendors on the forum who could provide better pricing?

Once i get the blower back from Vortech, and I fix my fueling issue, I will be heading back for a tune. Stay tuned for results!

Last edited by 350z006; 10-03-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:28 PM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

BTW...I'm retiring my trusty 928 blower and replacing it with the YSi, so I recently purchased a new bigger intercooler for that monster blower, I'm conceding having to cut my crash bar...I can sell you my current intercooler in you're interested, also from spearco, 5-312, good to 550hp...and you won't have to cut the crash bar...

I think it's the biggest intercooler from spearco you can get without cutting the crash bar...
You Finally installed the YSI..... Where is the write up and Pic's?
Old 10-03-2011, 11:39 PM
350z006

Haha...just began the process of tearing apart my old setup...not quite installed yet

And I got a new mondo bypass valve...debating installing it on my new intercooler or on my my piping somewhere...

Between taking care of my kid and having to sneak around at night at my condo parking garage to work on my car since they don't allow people to work on cars at my condo, this will be slow process unfortunately...

I wish I still lived at my old place with the nice garage where I could make all them mess that I want to...kinda like your nice garage lol...

Originally Posted by OldManZ350

Last edited by 350z006; 10-03-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:21 AM
unvmyg35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How old is your intercooler? How much are you asking for it? Any pictures of it? I might be interested.

[QUOTE=350z006;9403817]I can sell you my current intercooler in you're interested, also from spearco, 5-312, good to 550hp...and you won't have to cut the crash bar...

QUOTE]
Old 10-04-2011, 06:55 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that wide turbonetics is perfect match for the stock bumper. fills it completely. if you look up taurran's car, he has plenty of pics of its fitment
Old 10-04-2011, 07:10 AM
Threads

BTW...did you mention to Vortech that you were installing an aftermarket impeller on your blower?
I would love to take that intercooler off your hands. Please PM with the details!

And yes, I mentioned to the guy that I did in fact have an aftermarket impeller. He said they still have to install the volute themselves, but it won't be under warranty because of the impeller (obviously).

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
Old 10-12-2011, 01:14 AM
350z006

^^A little tease...BTW the 928 Blower is on the left...

And yes, I mentioned to the guy that I did in fact have an aftermarket impeller. He said they still have to install the volute themselves, but it won't be under warranty because of the impeller (obviously).

Last edited by 350z006; 10-12-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Threads

^^A little tease...BTW the 928 Blower is on the left...
CANNOT wait to see the results!

Back to my never-ending story, I got a call from Vortech yesterday telling me that my blower does not spin once the S-Trim volute is installed. Needless to say, I was a little aggravated. Initially, I thought Vortech was going to shim my impeller to fit the volute, but they can't touch it due to the foreign impeller.

SO, I called up 928M, and they okay'd me to ship the blower to them to have my impeller shimmed for the new volute(Free of Charge ). I just hope to goodness that they are able to shim the impeller to fit the volute.

I just want to be done with this already, lol.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:56 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i sure hope you get the results you are after all that work.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:04 PM
350Z400rwhp

So just to clarify. Are you still keeping the 2.62 and the boost limiter valve? Can't wait to see that torque curve if you are!
Old 10-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Threads

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
So just to clarify. Are you still keeping the 2.62 and the boost limiter valve? Can't wait to see that torque curve if you are!
I'm keeping the 2.62 pulley and BLV only if 928M are able to fit the S-trim volute on my blower. If they can(and I'm fairly positive they will), you can bet it's going to be on like donkey kong.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Threads

UPDATE!

Got the blower back with the S-trim volute, and installed it on Saturday. And . My Z feels like a different car! Here is what I'm seeing boost wise.

4000rpm - 5psi
5000rpm - 9psi
6500rpm - 16psi

It looks like my suspicion of hitting around 17psi was right. Needless to say, I shut it down once I hit 16psi. In the next week or so I plan on doing the following before I get re-tuned:

- Change out my fuel dampers (I have "that" lean spot around 2600-2800rpms)
- Install the wastegate (Set to 12-13psi)
- Install a larger intercooler (3.50'' thick x 7.9'' tall x 24.0'' wide)

I hoping to break the 400whp threshold on our local heartbreaker dyno dynamics. However, I'm more interested to see the power curves in comparison to my first dyno at 9psi. Hopefully, I can get some results early next month for you all who have subscribed. Wish me luck!

Last edited by Threads; 11-15-2011 at 04:03 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:08 AM
350z006

Good luck...and please be very careful with your stock block on 16 psi...
Old 11-15-2011, 01:27 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck with ur setup..

waiting for results

Quick Reply: Another Vortech V3 Setup...