Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Another Vortech V3 Setup...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 05:47 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not bad! Hey could you tell me the part number on your new spearco?
Old 02-17-2012, 06:56 AM
Threads

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unofficial camera phone picture of the graph. I'll replace this one with a better quality one when I get it.

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
I'll have to dig up that number. I'll let you know as soon as I find it.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:03 AM
justboughtaz

Originally Posted by Threads
Glad to know someone is as anxious as I am!

I am scheduled to get tuned sometime this week/weekend. Obviously not tonight, since the tuners have wives!

I did some street tuning last night which went rather well. Tuning the 1000cc's with the Haltech turned out to be alot easier than expected. However, I think I came across a small boost leak and/or belt slip around 6000rpms. I replace the first 4 connections around the intercooler with T-Bolt clamps and silicone couplers. I may have induced some user error there. I'll be debugging that tonight in hopes of getting the car ready for a dyno tune tomorrow night.

Your setup looks promising. Can't wait to see what kind of results you get with headers and cams. However, I noticed that you said you had a SC blower. I hope that the 928 impeller fits that SC volute. Carl told me that the impeller was cut specifically for the S trim volute. Good luck!
Ouch... I just sent Carl an email expressing my concern in this matter... The blower was just delivered today so I will have an answer shortly for future forum members who decide to do the 928M impeller upgrade.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:43 AM
justboughtaz

Hmmm.. This schematic shows the S/Sc trim blower having the same diameter for the impeller.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Threads

Originally Posted by justboughtaz
Hmmm.. This schematic shows the S/Sc trim blower having the same diameter for the impeller.
Nice find! I think you should be good to go.

FWIW, when I placed my order for the impeller, it was originally marketed for S/SC trim volutes. However, if you look on the site now, it only says S. I would just ask Carl to double check that you have the right volute. He should be able to find out within a few minutes of having the volute off the blower. My old volute was an SCi, which is different than than the S/SC trims.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:44 PM
str8dum1

exactly my point about not even worrying about stupid boost relief valves.....

Just got back from the dyno tonight. My first run was a very disappointing 343whp@16.1psi. I made approximately that when I got tuned at 9psi. After tuning adjustments by Corr, we were able to get 400whp/367wtq@18psi. We were having issues with my haltech datalog cable above 6400rpms. Because of this, we decided not to get too crazy after 6400rpm. There are still a few horses left to be had on the top end, and I'll be heading back to the dyno once I get a better cable.

Overall, I am a little disappointed with my low numbers. However, I'm glad that my tuner, Corr, was able to squeeze almost 60whp out of with the tune(and a little extra boost). I dyno'd on my heavy 20" rims and FWIW, the dyno dynamics I dyno'd on is about 13% off from a dynojet. The dynojet correction should put me at or about 450whp. I'll be sure to post the graph as soon as I get it.

Even though my numbers were a little low, the car is noticeably faster. Especially comparing the before and after tuning. I think I finally felt my stock clutch slip a little bit.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys think.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Threads

Originally Posted by str8dum1
exactly my point about not even worrying about stupid boost relief valves.....
You were 100% correct. I wish I would have had your advice before I went through all that BS trying to get one installed.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:18 PM
str8dum1

cant wait to see your 928 impeller results!

do you know how much timing you are running at redline?
Old 02-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Threads

Originally Posted by str8dum1
cant wait to see your 928 impeller results!

do you know how much timing you are running at redline?
Are you talking about me, regarding the 928 impeller results? Or the other gentleman?

I do know how much timing I'm running at redline, but my tuner asked me to keep my ignition timing private.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:30 PM
RB2B

Unofficial camera phone picture of the graph. I'll replace this one with a better quality one when I get it.

I'll have to dig up that number. I'll let you know as soon as I find it.
Interesting how it noses over before 6k rpm. Are you getting belt slip? Or that might be cause the S/C is pass its "sweet spot"...
Old 02-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Threads

Originally Posted by RB2B
Interesting how it noses over before 6k rpm. Are you getting belt slip? Or that might be cause the S/C is pass its "sweet spot"...
According to the boost logs, the boost is increasing pretty steadily. Even at the higher rpms. I'm not sure that's the best/most accurate way to determine belt slip, however.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:41 AM
justboughtaz

Default Sc Impeller upgrade from 928

Nice find! I think you should be good to go.

FWIW, when I placed my order for the impeller, it was originally marketed for S/SC trim volutes. However, if you look on the site now, it only says S. I would just ask Carl to double check that you have the right volute. He should be able to find out within a few minutes of having the volute off the blower. My old volute was an SCi, which is different than than the S/SC trims.
I talked to Carl @ 928, and there is some bad news for the Sc Trim Vortech. The V+ impeller advertised by 928 does not work with the Sc trim. So, if you are reading this and are interested in the 928 V+ impeller, this will not work unless you have the S trim volute!!! I'm thinking now of sending the blower to Vortech for an upgrade!
Old 02-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Threads

Originally Posted by justboughtaz
I talked to Carl @ 928, and there is some bad news for the Sc Trim Vortech. The V+ impeller advertised by 928 does not work with the Sc trim. So, if you are reading this and are interested in the 928 V+ impeller, this will not work unless you have the S trim volute!!! I'm thinking now of sending the blower to Vortech for an upgrade!
Oh no! That's horrible news. However, I can't say that I'm surprised, especially after all I went through to get the 928M impeller installed. What upgrade are you going to get from Vortech?
Old 02-20-2012, 01:06 PM
justboughtaz

Oh no! That's horrible news. However, I can't say that I'm surprised, especially after all I went through to get the 928M impeller installed. What upgrade are you going to get from Vortech?
I will hold off for now, but eventually Ysi Trim. I did have 928M install a smaller pulley. Good company.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Threads

A small update. I just did some research on why I was losing connection to the Haltech ECU at around 6200rpms. It appears that it could be two of many things:

1) The datalog cable - Apparently some of the older Haltech's came with a non-shielded USB cable that would cause my exact symptoms.

2) Bad Vehicle Ground - Admittedly, I never fully tighten my battery's negative terminal. This would give me similar issues AND it could be an explanation in my sudden drop of power after 6000rpms.

Needless to say, I have some investigating to do and hopefully some more power to free up. Once I "solve" this issue, I'll be heading back to the dyno to finish up tuning!

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
I'm pretty sure this is the intercooler here. I can't seem to dig up my official receipt unfortunately. Sorry for the wait!

http://turboneticsinc.com/store/inde...product_id=105
Old 02-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Ruthless18x

It's all good man, thanks for the link.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Threads

Official Graphs. Comparing my first of the night to the last (best) run of the night.

HP/TQ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thaboymike427/6778479732/
HP/Boost

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thaboymike427/6778479746/
Besides the ground issue, could this be my stock clutch slipping? However, I had the same "nose dive" issue on my first dyno graph at around 300wtq. I would like to think the clutch would slip at 300wtq again, not 360wtq... As well, the nose dive starts to happen on both graphs around 6000-6300rpms.

Last edited by Threads; 02-23-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:38 PM
justboughtaz

Default Vortech V2 SC

Good Numbers, I would be more than happy with those!!

I'm a little confused... I received the blower back from 928 today with the billet impeller! I'm more than happy and can't wait to get it on the dyno! Great Company!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Threads

Just got back from the dyno to finish my tune! Tonight ended up being just about the same temperature-wise as my first night.

The only thing done to the car since the my last tune was the datalog cable and an oil change. My first run of the night was 414whp. (Pretty good gain from an oil change!) Here is the unofficial graph of what we ended the night with:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thaboymike427/6814793642/
Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with my results. Once again, the DD that I dyno'd on has been recorded to read about 13% lower than a dynojet. This should put me in the 480-495whp range on a dynojet.

It appears my tuner was able to at least flatline/smooth out the power drop after 6000rpm. However, I'm now getting a little worried that i'm producing too much torque for my stock block. I may pull some timing from 5000-7000rpms to bring the torque down a bit. I wasn't able to really test out the new power like I wanted to, but I can say that 2nd gear traction is laughable at best.

Here is a video of one of the runs (poor quality / action ends at about 30 seconds):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thaboymike427/6814748574/

Last edited by Threads; 03-06-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:44 AM
meanz

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

bet this thing is nasty now, im still waiting for my si upgrade to get back

Quick Reply: Another Vortech V3 Setup...