Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Any interest in a SS catch can?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Blackbird CPV35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need one too, this is going to be vented to the atmosphere right?

Currently i have one hose coming off my pvc, one off the back of the valve cover and a breather filter for each of the middle valve cover ports that are usually bridged together all dumping straight to the ground. This would help keep my engine bay and underbody alot cleaner !
Old 03-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
That looks great, does the plate inside (baffle) go all the way to the bottom or half way down? Basically airflow comes in, hits the wall then goes to the other side via the small holes you have at top?
Thanks.

The plate does not go all the way to the bottom, nor does it need to. The plate has to be there between the inlets/outlets. As the vapour goes in, it hits the "wall" or baffle, and runs off/dripps to the bottom where it accumulates. The two holes are there just in case one forgets to empty it for a long time. The air can still move within the can even with it 3/4 full.

To the other questin, yes it will be vented via breather on top.

Since it looks like there is enough interest, I will start working on 10 units right away. When they are ready, this thread will get bumped, and we can go on from there.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 03-06-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Boostguru

^Awesome stuff!

I'm very interested, after the current project ill shoot you an email buddy.

Nice work
Old 03-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Found a proper drain valve for this as well, it has a 3/8" npt NPT thread, with a quick twist for opening/closing. Just run the hose down from it. I hear that many run the drain back to the oil pan, so that may be an option for those that bought the BP ST kit. There is a free port on the oil pan, so you don't have to worry about draining the oil in to a container.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 03-06-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:43 PM
_ink

Looks Awesome!

Main concerns to me are:

- Mounting location (Due to being supercharged)
- A Version without the external venting/breather filter? (This is classed as an EPA breach where i live)

The complete kit with hoses and AN fittings are an awesome idea though!!

Maybe offering a blacked out version would be open for consideration.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:41 PM
litoflow

Looking good!
Old 03-07-2011, 05:18 AM
suprasam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
Thanks.

The plate does not go all the way to the bottom, nor does it need to. The plate has to be there between the inlets/outlets. As the vapour goes in, it hits the "wall" or baffle, and runs off/dripps to the bottom where it accumulates. The two holes are there just in case one forgets to empty it for a long time. The air can still move within the can even with it 3/4 full.

To the other questin, yes it will be vented via breather on top.

Since it looks like there is enough interest, I will start working on 10 units right away. When they are ready, this thread will get bumped, and we can go on from there.
Can't wait Sasha!!
Old 03-07-2011, 05:37 AM
lgear080

pre-orders???
Old 03-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cant see the pictures since I am at work but I know how your work is and I see the posts soo I am sure this is beautiful

If someone can tell me where I need to install this to work best on my JWT kit so I can do this as a DIY then I am in for one instead of paying my shop to install a catch can and making lines/fittings to make it work.

Does anyone know if the lines and all that change depending on what turbo kit you have??
Old 03-07-2011, 08:17 AM
suprasam

Originally Posted by Barnabas
I cant see the pictures since I am at work but I know how your work is and I see the posts soo I am sure this is beautiful

If someone can tell me where I need to install this to work best on my JWT kit so I can do this as a DIY then I am in for one instead of paying my shop to install a catch can and making lines/fittings to make it work.

Does anyone know if the lines and all that change depending on what turbo kit you have??
I guess it would depend on how you want to run your lines. I have a line coming from the PCV on the passengers valve cover and a line from the back of the drivers valve cover going to my current can then the outlet goes to one of my turbo intake piping. Sasha's can has bungs welded on it so you could use whatever barb/connector size you wanted.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Barnabas

Originally Posted by suprasam
I guess it would depend on how you want to run your lines. I have a line coming from the PCV on the passengers valve cover and a line from the back of the drivers valve cover going to my current can then the outlet goes to one of my turbo intake piping. Sasha's can has bungs welded on it so you could use whatever barb/connector size you wanted.
I guess thats kinda what I am asking... What is the best for my setup?? I always hear there are allot of different ways to run them. I am not 100% sure what is the best locations to be the most effective. Here is my engine bay. I am open to suggestions/criticisms/whatever will help me to catch the most oil

Old 03-07-2011, 08:59 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

drivers hose to catch can and pcv to catch can. I'm running mine like that straight to the catch can. Pretty simple. it will work just fine on your car. The only cars that can't use that front mounting area is the supercharged vehicles with a plate on the timing cover.

I'll have install pics here once i receive it so everyone can see it installed on a DE motor. Sasha will probably include pics of it mounted on his rev-up.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:25 AM
Barnabas

When you say drivers hose what hose exactly do you mean?
Old 03-07-2011, 09:29 AM
suprasam

When you say drivers hose what hose exactly do you mean?
There is an outlet that comes our of the backside of the driver's side valve cover ~5/8" i think. For some pre-fabbed turbo systems i.e. greddy, this pipe is fed back into the intake pipe on that turbo...actually, i think that hose goes back into the stock intake tube as well.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Barnabas

ok! I know exactly what you guys are talking about. So this then should be the standard length hoses sasha is using and I can just bolt this right up then?!

Id rather do this then pay for time for the shop to do something so simple.

What are the best connectors to use to avoid leaks or anything?? A.N? I have all A.N lines/fittings on my turbo kit already but I have never done an initial install on them. I am assuming I need a type of adapter??
Old 03-07-2011, 09:39 AM
suprasam

a catch can install is definitely a DIY. We'll have to wait and see what Sasha's find product/options will be. I'm sure he'll chime in when he gets more of the specifics worked out. I can't wait!
Old 03-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Barnabas

Originally Posted by suprasam
a catch can install is definitely a DIY. We'll have to wait and see what Sasha's find product/options will be. I'm sure he'll chime in when he gets more of the specifics worked out. I can't wait!
This thread makes me so glad i held off on my catch can. I love DIY as long as I have a good idea/good instructions on what I am doing

there isnt a ton of info on install or placements that I have read before. Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

This will be very much a DIY job. Just have to get some time to finish the original, and see what would work best. I have to consider all the other turbo kits out there when it comes to location. I always forger that other turbo kits run a lot of stuff in the engine bay, and that it can get crowded. This is the main reason I built the kit I did...but that is a whole different topic.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:20 AM
suprasam

This thread makes me so glad i held off on my catch can. I love DIY as long as I have a good idea/good instructions on what I am doing

there isnt a ton of info on install or placements that I have read before. Thanks for the advice guys!
here you go. Check out this thread.

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...od-w-pics.html
Old 03-07-2011, 11:11 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

told ya that catch cans would be easy money! Shops charging 3-400$ for a box with a baffle and some weld on fittings almost as insane as a person able to justify paying that.

Quick Reply: Any interest in a SS catch can?