Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Built HR *Broken Cam* Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 02:54 PM
ehsan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built HR *Broken Cam* Part 2

For Some reason someone decided to close the thread. I wonder who

Main information is in here:
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...roken-cam.html

ORIGINAL POST:
Some may and some may not know, but my possessed Z broke a camshaft. Don't ask how I do not know. I have talked to several well knowledge sources and I have my ideas, but will not speculate till the motors stripped down.

Ill keep some updated info in this thread as progress is made at
WIN Motorsportz (In affiliation with Redline Design)

Ill keep updated pictures and answer questions if anyone has any.

Backround on this motor. Built by Engine Lab/S&R Performance

CP Pistons
BC Springs and Retainers
5 Angle Valve Job
GTM H Beam Rods
HKS Head Gaskets
One of a kind Closed Deck Block
ARP Head Bolts
Everything Cryo Treated
Factory Cams(When the motor was built none were available)
HKS Twins with Forge Motorsports Wastegate's
--------------------------------------------------------------------
This car started out well over a year ago after being one of the very few stock block HR's to Blow. It snapped a rod in two at 500whp in less than 3k miles. The motor was then built at Engine lab and S&R Performance. Since has had many issues. Leaking turbo lines, boost leaks, ecu failures, sensor failures, wiring failuers. Ill be honest im surprised I still own a boosted Z after the headaches and money I have spent on this vehicle. Then everything started to work out I put about 7k miles on this motor then one day...Snap. The car sounded like a V8 after looking into it the Intake valves on the Bank 2(driver side) were not opening. Took the Cam cover off to find the pully still tight. You can turn the motor over with the bolt that goes through the center of the cam gear, but the cam does not rotate. So only possibility broken cam. If the key had broke then turning the bolt in the center would still make the cam rotate if not atleast move, but no such luck. So motors now out at WIN Motorsportz and should start to be stripped down here in the next week. I will try to keep this thread updated.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some more pics of last night. Ill upload more later

Last edited by ehsan; 04-06-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:08 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What was the reason for the installation of BC valve springs with stock cams? Was the redline raised above stock? Also, were these aftermarket valve springs at the request of the customer or the recommendation of the shop who built the motor/sold the parts?
Old 04-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

How is that bearing surface? I can't really see it cause the pic is blurry.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:52 PM
k6750gsxr

I just noticed on the third picture down you can see were there are more threads in the cam after the snap point. I know some one asked about that in the previous thread. It was thought originally to have been at the end of the threads.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:00 PM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Haha, I was actually planning on adding either JWT or BC springs to my engine (I’m also running stock camshafts)… I thought it’d give the motor a little additional security. I might have to rethink that before I make the order…
Old 04-06-2011, 05:03 PM
nismonian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IBTL

lol j/k actually looking forward for some more good posts and less bs...
Old 04-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Jasonvs2146

BC Springs and retainers were installed as a security measure. It was at the suggestion of the shop since we had to send the heads out for work anyway.

The bearing surface is clean. Nothing to really speak of. They are good for the new cams to be installed.

Correct the cam still had more threads. I am unsure how many until I get back over there. It is normal practice for things to be deaper and have more threads. You never would want the bolt to bottom out that could cause major stress.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:38 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by Jasonvs2146
BC Springs and retainers were installed as a security measure. It was at the suggestion of the shop since we had to send the heads out for work anyway.
Can you elaborate? Security measure against what? How was that explained to you by the shop? What work was done to the heads and was the redline raised?

IMO aftermarket valve springs seem completely unnecessary on stock cams unless the redline is being raised. Just curious as to what you were told and what the logic and/or thought process was...
Old 04-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Jasonvs2146

I do not remember the conversation. Its been a long bumpy road and the Springs were my last thing on my mind. Im pretty sure it was done just as a safety against breaking either part. Im just being honest Its been a long time...
Old 04-06-2011, 06:08 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by Jasonvs2146
I do not remember the conversation. Its been a long bumpy road and the Springs were my last thing on my mind. Im pretty sure it was done just as a safety against breaking either part. Im just being honest Its been a long time...
Hey, no problem bro. I understand. My build project has been 3 years and counting...

Do you know if your redline was raised above stock though?
Old 04-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Jasonvs2146

No, It was tuned at normal redline and thats how its been driven.

Its been almost 3 years for me and Boost so I feel the same way. One day it will all be worth it!

Last edited by Jasonvs2146; 04-06-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Durdan

Originally Posted by k6750gsxr
I just noticed on the third picture down you can see were there are more threads in the cam after the snap point. I know some one asked about that in the previous thread. It was thought originally to have been at the end of the threads.
well, you can tell they threaded it down further during the machining process, but the bolt doesnt reach in that far.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Jasonvs2146

Originally Posted by Durdan
well, you can tell they threaded it down further during the machining process, but the bolt doesnt reach in that far.
Agreed and its done this way due to the expansion and contraction due to heat and also the difference in washers and such being installed. The last thing they want it the bolt to bottom out in the cam and not be tight.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:36 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

any idea why the pin dint snap instead of the cam? even if there where defects in the cam the pin is still alot smaller im very curious about that since ive never seen this before until this platform.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:45 AM
shilly

Originally Posted by jerryd87
any idea why the pin dint snap instead of the cam? even if there where defects in the cam the pin is still alot smaller im very curious about that since ive never seen this before until this platform.
If I'm not mistaken,the pin is machined steel ,while the cam is cast.I could be wrong,so if anyone knows different please chime in.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:40 AM
S&R Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

a few years back I had an issue with a certain companies cams, something similar to this and what was done is that the hole was actually drilled and tapped for a longer, bigger bolt. It worked great and never brought up another issue. They've corrected that since then but it worked great for the people that had issues. Is that possible with these? I'm not personally familiar with them enough to know.

-Marti

Last edited by S&R Performance; 04-07-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:31 AM
Durdan

Originally Posted by shilly
If I'm not mistaken,the pin is machined steel ,while the cam is cast.I could be wrong,so if anyone knows different please chime in.
yeah, the sheer strength on that pin is going to be greater that the cast piece. especially where the break on that cam is. nissan already 'weakened' that spot by drilling in the oil holes
Old 04-07-2011, 06:43 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

But the oil hole is necessary for bearing lubrication? So just using a slightly longer bolt would *not* be a viable fix?
Old 04-07-2011, 06:58 AM
Durdan

the hole is necessary, that's the underlying problem. a longer machined thread and a longer bolt would ultimately block off that portion of the lubrication. seems to me that the only real remedy is to run stronger-built aftermarket cams.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:16 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by Durdan
seems to me that the only real remedy is to run stronger-built aftermarket cams.
...or don't sell/buy and install stiff aftermarket springs unnecessarily on stock cams that aren't being pushed beyond factory redline.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 04-07-2011 at 07:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Built HR *Broken Cam* Part 2