Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Back home lets build!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:01 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why are you only using a -4an as an overflow line?

what exactly is your issue? Sounds like you are overthinking again.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:01 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

using 4 an overflow because the fitting on the cjm return kit was 4 an(since i still use the in tank to feed the surge tank.) thought about adding a second bulkhead into the gas tank and a y block so it was mayby like 6 or 8 an into dual 4 an but it seems to be alot more work.

the initial issue ive had is one of the welds on the surge tank had a hairline crack. i personally do not think it was sasha's welding i couldnt see anything wrong with it so i attributed it had something to do with too much return fuel and not able to send enough fuel back to the tank, and mayby also the fact it was solidly mounted to the spare tire well and might have had undue stress or flex from the chassis. so i simply fixed both, cost me 15 bucks in resistors and relays to do it. plus the cost of the new surge tank since i could not find a single person on island willing to weld a fuel container no matter what i did to it, so thats why i went with the integrated engineering(which also happened to free up alot of floor space as well so i can fit everything behind the seats easily.)

i do tend to overthink things dont i hahahahaa
Old 09-08-2012, 04:57 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryd87
with you at 60 base vs my 45-46 im flowing about 120 lph more at idle then you
I would be returning more fuel than you with a higher base pressure due to my injector pulse width being smaller. With e85 I would be consuming more fuel but with the higher pressure I actually have smaller IPW on my vac map than I did with 45psi base pressure and pump gas.

I highly doubt if the surge tank is building pressure that it is near the amount needed to crack good welds. I would bet money on something else causing the welds to fail. I would, however, run a larger than 4an overflow line. I would match my return fuel line from the rails (6an).
Old 09-08-2012, 05:57 PM
jerryd87

i was going off of fuel pump flow charts, 45 psi base on the bosch 044 vs 60 psi on the walbro the bosch is flowing 60 lph more, plus i have a walbro feeding the tank on top of that. so you might have a smaller pulse width but the very minimal amount dosnt account for the massive differences in my 3 pumps vs your two. on top of that even though the pulse width is smaller, the extra pressure means the fuel is pushed through your injectors faster resulting in the same fuel flow(ie you still have less fuel being return vs pump even with a higher base pressure and lower pulse width.)

i need to order some stuff to increase the size, like i said i dont think it was the welding but i think ive got it fixed now. new tank accepts up to a -8an overflow like the old one so it will end up bigger.
Originally Posted by binder
I would be returning more fuel than you with a higher base pressure due to my injector pulse width being smaller. With e85 I would be consuming more fuel but with the higher pressure I actually have smaller IPW on my vac map than I did with 45psi base pressure and pump gas.

I highly doubt if the surge tank is building pressure that it is near the amount needed to crack good welds. I would bet money on something else causing the welds to fail. I would, however, run a larger than 4an overflow line. I would match my return fuel line from the rails (6an).
Old 09-09-2012, 07:58 AM
Jime
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Locating your battery there is against all IHRA NHRA rules, ok in trunk with master shutoff but never in passenger compartment.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:52 PM
jerryd87

except the whole car is the passanger compartment =P, if yah notice its also not a ihra or nhra approved battery box lol i also dont have a master shutoff which is a auto no go for a car running as fast as this thing should run. never built it with a racing league in mind i simply built what i wanted. i can worry about it later when i actually get to a state that has tracks vs the middle of the ocean with none on the island.

Not to mention when the cover is fabricated it will pass since a firewall means its no longer a part of the passanger compartment. Seen a couple bmw's with stock location under the rear seat do this as well as a caddy think it was a sts-v
Originally Posted by Jime
Locating your battery there is against all IHRA NHRA rules, ok in trunk with master shutoff but never in passenger compartment.

Last edited by jerryd87; 09-09-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:21 PM
binder

i was going off of fuel pump flow charts, 45 psi base on the bosch 044 vs 60 psi on the walbro the bosch is flowing 60 lph more, plus i have a walbro feeding the tank on top of that. so you might have a smaller pulse width but the very minimal amount dosnt account for the massive differences in my 3 pumps vs your two. on top of that even though the pulse width is smaller, the extra pressure means the fuel is pushed through your injectors faster resulting in the same fuel flow(ie you still have less fuel being return vs pump even with a higher base pressure and lower pulse width.)

i need to order some stuff to increase the size, like i said i dont think it was the welding but i think ive got it fixed now. new tank accepts up to a -8an overflow like the old one so it will end up bigger.
oh dang, i forgot you were running the larger pumps. But yes, you would back up at the regulator and then at the fuel rails before pressure would build high enough to crack solid welds. I had some debris in the return screen on my twin pump a few years ago. As I was driving my a/f in cruise was 10:1 pegged so when I checked my regulator pressure it was over 100psi at idle. Just that small debris in the return line screen it made my fuel pressure increase quite a bit. You would have noticed that before it built too much pressure.

Last edited by binder; 09-09-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:29 PM
jerryd87

yah im not too worried now, i rewired the meth(since i have a fuse block back there now which will eventually handle everything in the car) so now ill just wire the high speed circuit(which i honestly dont think i will need till i get back stateside and switch to e85 but it will only be minimal on time so w/e). conceptz just charged me for the new trans mount, trans fluid, and brake fluid so i imagine my clutch came in and everything be here next week so that will be the weekend project.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:31 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the return fitting on my basket is -6AN from CJM. weird you got a -4.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:05 PM
jerryd87

well i bought the parts seperate i dint buy a kit, so that might be why, my feed is -6an from tank.

Last edited by jerryd87; 09-10-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:26 PM
konrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My cjm return correction thing was an4 also. Had to get a few fittings to make it an6
Old 09-29-2012, 06:37 PM
jerryd87

not the greatest vid but i havnt been idle lol 70mm mustang 4.6 throttle body so i now have a cable tb. took a little to dial in the pedal sensor for tps but its good now, went from like .86 V for 0% to about 2.1V with 3.9 being WOT just have to adjust some slack in the cable which isnt very much at all(mayby 1/16th of a inch or less.) idle is set to 1000 rpm's and my stock computer is now doing nothing lol.

so far my only complaint is limited pedal travel im seriously considering just moving to floor mounted pedals but idk yet, the tiltons are damn sexy

oh yah ignore the hood waiting on some dzus fasteners so i can start the one piece widebody front bumper/fenders to cover up my wheels sticking out and put some vents in the wheel wells then ill sand everything before painting it(dont give a crap about cf looks its just there for weight and strength.) plus i need to reattach the mesh for the hood i had epoxy and never got around to doing it so its been held up for a few weeks now by the trim adhesive i was using as temporary lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-TDZ...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by jerryd87; 09-29-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:22 AM
binder

Is that straight exhaust with no muffler? geez it's loud
Old 09-30-2012, 02:47 PM
jerryd87

yah hence why i have no radio rofl, thinking about ditching it and moving to a single 4 inch side exit, not really to gain power since it will be very minimal gains but more to eliminate rasp from the dual exit and make it easier to work on stuff under the car.

imo the sound is sex though not sure how loud yours is but everyone who rides in my car thinks the cops are coming from the turbo spooling lol
Old 09-30-2012, 03:03 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Single 4"

You need to bring it to the meet next week!
Old 09-30-2012, 03:20 PM
jerryd87

thursdays are hard cuz i have the boy while wife is at work but gona try to come to the cruise for the holiday assuming nothing bad happens lol
Old 09-30-2012, 03:23 PM
binder

yah hence why i have no radio rofl, thinking about ditching it and moving to a single 4 inch side exit, not really to gain power since it will be very minimal gains but more to eliminate rasp from the dual exit and make it easier to work on stuff under the car.

imo the sound is sex though not sure how loud yours is but everyone who rides in my car thinks the cops are coming from the turbo spooling lol
mine is stock exhaust with an electric cutout. Sleeper mode. With the cutout open it gets crazy loud but you can't hear any turbo spool...it's just deafening. If i didn't get the benefit of having a quite exhaust normally and the spool/hp gains I would probably not use it. I just don't think this engine sounds as sexy as a big v8 with straight exhaust.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:38 PM
jerryd87

it really screams up top with open but yah its not a v8 for sure, i just dont wanna add cutouts and crap, extra stuff to buy >.<

Originally Posted by binder
mine is stock exhaust with an electric cutout. Sleeper mode. With the cutout open it gets crazy loud but you can't hear any turbo spool...it's just deafening. If i didn't get the benefit of having a quite exhaust normally and the spool/hp gains I would probably not use it. I just don't think this engine sounds as sexy as a big v8 with straight exhaust.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:00 PM
binder

I hear ya on extra stuff to add. I just can't drive a car around that sounds like a v6 and straight exhaust. I take longer drives with it and it looks stock from outside so it would ruin the whole sleeper appearance.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:28 PM
jerryd87

been awhile since i updated anything been pretty busy, finally got around to swapping clutchs, well sorta new one still isnt in. ill have more pics tomarrow but i ditched my surge tank and went with a 16 gallon fuel cell in the trunk area with a 2 inch sump, still gona go dual bosch 044's but instead of direct port meth im going to run 6 gallons dupont 105 to 10 gallons 92. normally this would be about 100 octane stateside but here on island its closer to 98 because gas sucks here but still be more then enough for me. since im ditching my direct port meth i have a revup lower plenum coming that im going to modify the runners some to essentially give me a similar runner length the the cjm manifold(although not nearly as good) so it should hopefully rightshift my powerband some and trying to locate a 3.3 rear end that wont murder me on shipping. right nw the 305/35/18 toyo r888's hook pretty good on the street with 27 psi cold pressure so the other mods im hoping will help improve traction at high boost until i can afford cams later on since everything is kinda on a buget right now(paying off credit cards>car)

heres a couple pics of the clutch though, flywheel side then pressure plate side............ i think it actually tryed to weld itself to the flywheel it was slipping bad enough because all the black marks are actually small chunks of the face missing. pessure plate side just has the one big chunk missing by the rivet but concept z had exellent customer service and really came through to make it right, i just dont think very many people push this things like i did and they dropped the ratings listed on there site immediately after i had issues.

Quick Reply: Back home lets build!