Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Fuel Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 08:34 PM
narkotic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure Gauge

Today I installed a fuel pressure gauge ( the greddy 60mm one ). It has the external sensor. Well I installed it using one of the SPX fuel taps that people have been using for No2, but that is after the regulator. I noticed that the needle stays at about 3.6 bar the whole time until the 2nd fuel pump kicks in going to about 6 bar... Did I put the sensor in the wrong place? Should it be inline before the regulator on the small hose? If anyone installed a fuel pressure gauge please lend some information my way, it would be appreciated. And if I am supposed to put it in-line before the regulator then how do I go about tapping into that line the right way? Thanks alot guys
Old 02-09-2004, 12:10 PM
narkotic

Anyone?
Old 02-09-2004, 12:32 PM
etx

The sender should be anywhere between the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel rail. That is where the pressure you are concerned with is. I am not faliliar with that 'tap' but you should be seeing the same amount if fuel pressure all the time. The only thing that should produce a drop in fuel pressure is if the FPR uses a signal line to drop pressure at high vac operation. Or if your injectors are spraying so much fuel that the pumps cannot flow enought fuel to keep the presure up.

I have not delt with the Z's fuel system yet, but after looking at some pictures it dosen't look like the fuel rails have a test port. The test port is the ideal location for a fuel pressure sender.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:42 PM
mprowe350

I currently have the ATI kit w/ secound pump. My sensor is located after the sec. pump where the fuel is on the way to rail/reg.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:42 PM
narkotic

Interesting... I keep getting different answers from everyone. I hear to tap right after the filter BEFORE the regulator... I mean I used the SPX fuel tap which is what the dealers use to test fuel pressure, so this should be a good spot.. I get a constant reading until I really get on it then it raises (aux fuel pump kicking in for S/C)... thanks for the reply!

Originally posted by etx
The sender should be anywhere between the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel rail. That is where the pressure you are concerned with is. I am not faliliar with that 'tap' but you should be seeing the same amount if fuel pressure all the time. The only thing that should produce a drop in fuel pressure is if the FPR uses a signal line to drop pressure at high vac operation. Or if your injectors are spraying so much fuel that the pumps cannot flow enought fuel to keep the presure up.

I have not delt with the Z's fuel system yet, but after looking at some pictures it dosen't look like the fuel rails have a test port. The test port is the ideal location for a fuel pressure sender.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:48 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

dude... fuel pressure is always 51psi (3 bar) until your 2nd pump kicks in...

this is why you have that second pump! because the car uses a returnless fuel system, and the pressure regulator is actually in the gas tank, right after the pump...

hth
Old 02-09-2004, 01:51 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

also... you installed it correctly... its working perfect.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:56 PM
narkotic

Where does that fuel line goto? Is it the smaller one that goes to the top of the regulator?

Originally posted by mprowe350
I currently have the ATI kit w/ secound pump. My sensor is located after the sec. pump where the fuel is on the way to rail/reg.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:58 PM
narkotic

it's all starting to make sense now..

btw nice car

Originally posted by SKiDaZZLe
dude... fuel pressure is always 51psi (3 bar) until your 2nd pump kicks in...

this is why you have that second pump! because the car uses a returnless fuel system, and the pressure regulator is actually in the gas tank, right after the pump...

hth
Old 02-09-2004, 02:39 PM
mprowe350

The hose that mine is connected to runs up towards the top rear passenger corner of the motor. There is some kind of regulator there or a simular device which the hose connects to.
mike

Originally posted by narkotic
Where does that fuel line goto? Is it the smaller one that goes to the top of the regulator?
Old 02-09-2004, 03:23 PM
etx

Oh, I did not realise your using the bootleg fuel delivery method. I wouldn't trust that fuel pump any further than I could throw it. The fp going up if how that system gets more fuel through the injectors. Good idea installing a fp gauge, keep your eye on it because if that pump goes haywire your gonna detonate under boost.