Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 07:31 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by nis350ztt
[B]Agreed. That would make so many options for this kit though.
Actually, thinking more about this, it would be almost impossible to run the turbo dump tube down and split it off to purge into both sides of a dual exhaust. There's way too much piping in this area already just to get pressure from both headers to the turbo. What that means is that I have to hope the exhaust pipe coming off the turbo is short enough so that when I hack the front end of my GReddy exhaust off, there is enough room for a custom pipe/flange to be welded onto what's left to mate up with the turbo exhaust tube. If it's not short enough, then I'll have to hack the end of the dump tube off and reweld the flange onto it to make it shorter and THEN hack the front end off the EVO2. I have a feeling this could get nasty.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:45 PM
AxionF117

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

excellent

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
G35 kit should be started as early as Friday probably Monday for the G owners. R&D time will obviously be MUCH less considering the similarities to the Z...
Old 02-16-2005, 07:53 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by kcobean
Actually, thinking more about this, it would be almost impossible to run the turbo dump tube down and split it off to purge into both sides of a dual exhaust. There's way too much piping in this area already just to get pressure from both headers to the turbo. What that means is that I have to hope the exhaust pipe coming off the turbo is short enough so that when I hack the front end of my GReddy exhaust off, there is enough room for a custom pipe/flange to be welded onto what's left to mate up with the turbo exhaust tube. If it's not short enough, then I'll have to hack the end of the dump tube off and reweld the flange onto it to make it shorter and THEN hack the front end off the EVO2. I have a feeling this could get nasty.
Yes yes, it very well could get nasty. At least it will be under the car though.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:52 AM
foochdawg

So mia, these are the options for the kit right?

Turbonetics single turbocharger kit - $4750 - includes ECU reflash, 440cc injectors, ss fuel lines, Walbro fuel pump.

Turbonetics single turbocharger kit - ~$4000 - tuner version - does not include ECU reflash, fuel pump, fuel lines, or fuel injectors.
SS Fuel Line? Are they refering to Stainless steal? Or is there some kind of mod with this kit to chnage the fuel system? Like AAM and APS with the return fuel system?

The only thing that has me on the fence and is keeping me from ordering this kit right NOW, is the fact that I have heard that for anything much over stock, power wise, that the closed fuel system on the Z is insufficient. That there will not be equal fuel across all 6 cylinders. I am afraid to lean out a piston or two. I have seen a lot of engines blown because of situations like this and one even posted pictures of the heads and pistons and you could see in the heads how they were running leaner as you went further down the fuel rails. I don't have a link though and forgot which one of the Z sites that it was on.

Last edited by foochdawg; 02-17-2005 at 03:54 AM.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:56 AM
MIAPLAYA

Ok let me address everyones questions or try to. Yes there will be two versions of the full kit. One version will have no cat (like mine) the other version will have a high flow cat after the turbo on the down tube. Turbonetics has announced they will produce a tuner version that will include everything but the Fuel pump, injectors, and flash. The price has not been set but should be about 4k. As for the stock fuel system. To date they have had no issues running a non-return fuel line from the rails.

On my car in particular they have measured 53 PSI fuel pressure and have had zero issues with the motor running lean. As a matter fact for a while it was running too rich as they were seeing 9.5:1 or 10:1 A/Fs from boost to redline. The final tune is at 11.5:1 from boost to redline. They have put about 500 miles on my car by now with this setup with zero issues. And yes the car has been driven in rush hour, the rain, hard, tame (ie: staying out of boost), etc and they have had ZERO problems. The car actually idles better then it did with just intake exhaust.

Honestly for the price I'd get the full version with fuel even if you don't want to use the flash. The injectors that are included in this kit are SOOO worth it. 380 CC drop in plug in. There is no need to change or cut the injector harness with these. The plug directly into the stock fuel rail AND stock injector harness. Also the Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump should flow more then enough for anyones needs below 600 RWHP. That alone is worth the difference even if you dont get the flash and choose to go standalone or piggyback. I mean how much or PE 380cc injectors going to cost you anyways?

As for the exhaust situation. I know that most of us have an aftermarket exhuast but think about it this way. If they had designed it for a true dual exhaust those without would be FORCED to upgrade and would further add to the cost of having this kit. Plus they needed to know what this kit would make on a stock car. Because of the obvious design challenge the only to make this happen was to have the downpipe connect to the factory midpipe location.

As for modifying your exhaust. I think you guys might be ok. The turbo downpipe is pretty long as it is going to cover the distance between the stock cats (actually from the turbo) to the facotry mid pipe. There is more then enough room to either cut it and weld on a split OR to cut and merge your dual into a single and flange it up. Honesty my best suggestion is to cut the downpipe (if you are going to do this) and have your shop create a split pipe that will either flange or be welded onto the remaining downpipe and connect to your dual pipes. It shouldn't be very hard. I imagine any exhaust shop could do this in about an hour.

There are alot of pics of the kit on a mock up motor here.. http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2454005093 use userid: SEMA2004 Password: 123456 The pics of the kit are in the middle of the album. You can see how long the downpipe is.

Last edited by nis350ztt; 02-17-2005 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:09 AM
MIAPLAYA

Just to add some more as I re-read the posts last night. Brad and Turbonetics are always very open to tailoring to the customer. As I said before they don't have "on the shelf turbos". Theres no such thing as grab these parts off the shelf and lets see what happens. Everything about this kit was custom designed for this car. The compressor wheel, FMIC end tanks, piping, etc...I already have plans to ask Brad about including a large compressor housing or different compressor wheel for more boost for nis350ztt.

I will also ask if they would be willing to make a pipe that can split the exhaust flow. Chances are its not going to be feasible as every dual exhaust system is different and there is no way to know for sure if it will even work. Needless to say the kit is making ~385 RWHP with the STOCK exhaust so even if you spent a little extra and had your true duals fabbed to work its going to be worth it.

FOR THE G guys...Lets just say that Brad has been driving my car for over a week now with the kit. He has a pretty much stock G35. Tomorrow when I get my car he is going to want to have a car at LEAST that fast. Being the General Manager and VP of the company you can imagine how quick the modification to make it fit the G is going to go. I know that before they even got started on my car they had Brads car back in the R&D bay and were comparing the space and install differences. All they need to do after my car leaves is get Brads car in there to start changing whatever piping needs to change. Look at it this way. This kit went from concept to production in 6 months. They only need to change the piping a little to make things fit. In other words the G kit is coming REAL soon. Just so there is an equal third party there to evaluate my car protocav is coming with me to pick up my car. He will of course get a chance to drive it and post his opinions.

Last edited by nis350ztt; 02-17-2005 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:25 AM
aggie300zx

MIAPLAYA, thanks for taking the time to reply to those questions. You have been very helpful in sharing information about the product.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:34 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by aggie300zx
MIAPLAYA, thanks for taking the time to reply to those questions. You have been very helpful in sharing information about the product.
Glad to help.....
Old 02-17-2005, 08:00 AM
alpine

Originally posted by thrifiddytt
Meant the *brakelight* mod. Cut off the signal going to the ecu for the brakelight, 10a..or somethin like that (throttle cuts with simultaneous brake app). I just wired it in through a little switch and some wiring I picked up from Lowes. It doesn't damage the ecu either, I've been running it for a while now. Other members have done similar setups and been using them for a little over a year. the mod helps for the heel/toe driving...drifting..drag.
I figured you had something in mind more than turning it off, I haven't heard of this mod, but it sounds like the right idea for drifting & heel/toe.

0z33 had mentioned something about pulling a fuse or something while on track as even with VDC there are still some restrictions placed on both throttle and traction control.

Having a switch is better than pulling the fuse, I'll have to look into the rest of the details for this.

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-17-2005, 08:12 AM
foochdawg

Thanks for the info on the fuel system. I am still hesitant because of these people blowing engines. I think I will give this kit a couple months on the road before I decide for sure. Definately loving the price and seems easy to install. I installed the supercharger on my eclipse by myself and it seems about the same level of difficulty as this kit.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:14 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by foochdawg
Thanks for the info on the fuel system. I am still hesitant because of these people blowing engines. I think I will give this kit a couple months on the road before I decide for sure. Definately loving the price and seems easy to install. I installed the supercharger on my eclipse by myself and it seems about the same level of difficulty as this kit.
Well I hasn't blown their Z or mine yet. Mine has about 500 miles now. Many more in the next week or so. I'll keep everyone posted..
Old 02-17-2005, 08:29 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

SS Fuel Line? Are they refering to Stainless steal? Or is there some kind of mod with this kit to chnage the fuel system? Like AAM and APS with the return fuel system?

The only thing that has me on the fence and is keeping me from ordering this kit right NOW, is the fact that I have heard that for anything much over stock, power wise, that the closed fuel system on the Z is insufficient. That there will not be equal fuel across all 6 cylinders. I am afraid to lean out a piston or two. I have seen a lot of engines blown because of situations like this and one even posted pictures of the heads and pistons and you could see in the heads how they were running leaner as you went further down the fuel rails. I don't have a link though and forgot which one of the Z sites that it was on.
Stainless steel, yes. It will still be returnless-style (APS is return-less also). You are good to 380 - 400rwhp with the stock fuel pump, lines, etc.. After that, you would need a new fuel pump, better/stronger fuel lines, and bigger fuel injectors.

You may just want to do what I plan on doing. Buy the tuner version and get a return-style fuel system from AAM or CJ-M.

Mia, thanks for clearing everything up. And the pics helped TONS! You could sit on here all day talking about how the system is ran or you could give 3 or 4 pics and not have to say anything. I'm sure i'll be able to do a reverse y-pipe.

Also, can't wait to hear what Turbonetics has to say about the larger compressor housing or different compressor wheel for me.

BTW, edited your post, it was getting kind of hard to read it, so I put some spaces in it.

Last edited by nis350ztt; 02-17-2005 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:52 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

I believe the problem with people thinking that our motor is a ticking time bomb with any forced induction at any boost level in any altitude is their own fault.

I truly believe some of these people aren't reading the threads to see what actually caused the motor to blow.

Like I stated earlier, i'm sure time will tell us that the crank and cam angle sensor wire is at blame for causing something else to break.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:56 AM
MIAPLAYA

Stainless steel, yes. It will still be returnless-style (APS is return-less also). You are good to 380 - 400rwhp with the stock fuel pump, lines, etc.. After that, you would need a new fuel pump, better/stronger fuel lines, and bigger fuel injectors.

You may just want to do what I plan on doing. Buy the tuner version and get a return-style fuel system from AAM or CJ-M.

Mia, thanks for clearing everything up. And the pics helped TONS! You could sit on here all day talking about how the system is ran or you could give 3 or 4 pics and not have to say anything. I'm sure i'll be able to do a reverse y-pipe.

Also, can't wait to hear what Turbonetics has to say about the larger compressor housing or different compressor wheel for me.

BTW, edited your post, it was getting kind of hard to read it, so I put some spaces in it.
Actually even the stock fuel lines are good for quite a bit. The fuel lines are fine but yes you need a new pump and injectors. These are included in the kit...
Old 02-17-2005, 09:41 AM
diegonismo

Default single turbo

what is the release date for this kit ?
Old 02-17-2005, 09:46 AM
foochdawg

I believe the problem with people thinking that our motor is a ticking time bomb with any forced induction at any boost level in any altitude is their own fault.

I truly believe some of these people aren't reading the threads to see what actually caused the motor to blow.

Like I stated earlier, i'm sure time will tell us that the crank and cam angle sensor wire is at blame for causing something else to break.
Actually I have read every one that I have come across because I want to eventually go FI but it all depends on how reliable these kits are.

I noticed that the majority of the blown engines are because they try to up the boost and pray that it holds, and more than likely it doesn't. I have also seen people that go for a spin around the block to see if everything is running ok before they go tune it and blow their motors. I believe that one, if not THE, most important things is the tuning. I mean sure Mia's car has been running good for 500 miles, but 500 miles is not that far. Also, you have professionals and creators of the kit hovering over EVERY aspect of the car while they drive it. I am waiting to see what average people do when they get this kit. Is the flash going to work right out of the box? All cars are different and take differently to different stuff. I have heard stories of bad flashes coming from TS for the 04s. I have an 05. Who knows what kind of prblems that will cause.

I have also seen threads about the crank/cam angle sensor giving choppy readings and causing spikes which could lean the car out. That could only take one time of that happening to be looking at a BIG rebuild. I cringed when I saw goingdeeps car on motoring. I don't want to see the same thing on my Z lol. Not saying that his was due to the sensor but you never know.

And the one I saw where the heads were gradually leaner, I believe was with the stock fuel pump. I think the walboro is fine for this kit. The only thing I don't like is that high pitched whine that comes from that pump. I had one in the eclipse.

Last edited by foochdawg; 02-17-2005 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:54 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Actually I have read every one that I have come across because I want to eventually go FI but it all depends on how reliable these kits are.

I noticed that the majority of the blown engines are because they try to up the boost and pray that it holds, and more than likely it doesn't. I have also seen people that go for a spin around the block to see if everything is running ok before they go tune it and blow their motors. I believe that one, if not THE, most important things is the tuning. I mean sure Mia's car has been running good for 500 miles, but 500 miles is not that far. Also, you have professionals and creators of the kit hovering over EVERY aspect of the car while they drive it. I am waiting to see what average people do when they get this kit. Is the flash going to work right out of the box? All cars are different and take differently to different stuff. I have heard stories of bad flashes coming from TS for the 04s. I have an 05. Who knows what kind of prblems that will cause.

I have also seen threads about the crank/cam angle sensor giving choppy readings and causing spikes which could lean the car out. That could only take one time of that happening to be looking at a BIG rebuild. I cringed when I saw goingdeeps car on motoring. I don't want to see the same thing on my Z lol. Not saying that his was due to the sensor but you never know.

And the one I saw where the heads were gradually leaner, I believe was with the stock fuel pump. I think the walboro is fine for this kit. The only thing I don't like is that high pitched whine that comes from that pump. I had one in the eclipse.
Glad to see you did read the threads unlike some other people I have seen.

Actually, Sharif (gq_626) did a list on 350zmotoring about this and only a few had had the boost higher than stock boost.

Agreed, but, like I stated earlier, Nissan isn't making every rod different, the motors are made with/out of the same stuff, the temperments of each part aren't going to vary very much.

Yeah.

And I totally agree about the tuning, people who aren't going to get the reflash option DEFINITELY need to take it to someone who has tuned a 350Z before and had success (with whatever they choose, piggyback, standalone, whatever).

I've heard about the sound coming from the fuel pump, everyone says it's normal. So you know what that means, stay in boost all the time and you won't have to hear it.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:59 AM
MIAPLAYA

I understand your concerns and Turbonetics is considering including a shielded crank sensor wire as well. I think that your concerns would be a product of any F/I kit you were to choose. As for the 04 reflash. I know all about it. Why do you think my car has been there so long. And yes 500 miles is not a LOT of miles but we are talking at least 100-200 miles of that is FLOGGING my car. Running the **** out of it to make sure nothing fails. Remember that their Z has thousands of HARD driven miles without problems. I think that as long as enough research goes into the kit things will be fine. And believe me when I tell you Turbonetics has done their homework...
Old 02-17-2005, 10:03 AM
foochdawg

Also, I saw this quoted from the APS website. It SOUNDS like there is a fuel return system in there.

"In order to facilitate the fuel return from the external regulator housing, a single 12.0 mm hole is drilled in the top flange of the plastic sender unit. In order to deliver a perfect seal and return the fuel to the correct section of the pump housing, a custom configured fuel return pipe is also supplied. This is professionally flanged, Viton O'ring sealed and locked into position with a special lock-nut and washer arrangement. "

Am I reading this wrong? I am in no way disagreeing. I am just the kjid of person that needs ALL the information to make an informed decision.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:06 AM
MIAPLAYA

Also, I saw this quoted from the APS website. It SOUNDS like there is a fuel return system in there.

"In order to facilitate the fuel return from the external regulator housing, a single 12.0 mm hole is drilled in the top flange of the plastic sender unit. In order to deliver a perfect seal and return the fuel to the correct section of the pump housing, a custom configured fuel return pipe is also supplied. This is professionally flanged, Viton O'ring sealed and locked into position with a special lock-nut and washer arrangement. "

Am I reading this wrong? I am in no way disagreeing. I am just the kjid of person that needs ALL the information to make an informed decision.
There is no return line from the fuel rails. Basically they mount the fuel pressure regulator at the tank and the fuel return goes from the regulator a whole 2" back into the stock fuel pump housing...that you have to drill/

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos