Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 09:21 AM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by alpine
Which flywheel are you actually talking about, I can tell you that you do NOT want to go with the JWT lightened flywheel.

I had that put on with a Nismo clutch, I was told at the time the car should hold 350HP at the FW/clutch.

It didn't get close, this was on a setup that had 10K miles, some hard, mostly easy/moderate.

All I can tell you FROM EXPERIENCE the stock clutch/fw took about 12K excruciating miles, 4 track days, and 1/2 drift day and it looked better than the nismo and the jwt.

One of the problems, that I was NOT advised about, is that with a lightened flywheel, as it has lesst material, is going to transfer MORE heat ALL of the time.

So you are going to go through ANY clutch faster, even under "normal" conditions.

Actually the stock FW looked "great" it had very nice even wear and was essentially "nicely broken in" and the stock cluth had wear, but it did not appear abused and again, I CAN TELL YOU IT WAS ABUSED.

This is a credit to Nissan for doing that portion of the drive train VERY WELL.

Also, I believe that APS is still running the stock clutch & FW and they are running more HP than I am. I believe with their setup and 94 octane fuel, they are pushing something over 425(? [don't quote/bash me on this, check it out if you want])

the nismo clutch itself, may be OK, but with the impact of the JWT lightened FW, it couldn't take the HP.

To summarize, I was greatly dissapointed in the JWT, I can't give you honest feedback from the nismo as it was probably compromised by the JWT.

The JWT is a great NA 300isHP mod due to the Quicker revs & acceleration.

I can also recomend the RPS product in regards to gripping power, I am having a problem with my setup, but RPS has completely taken care of me, so I am still supportive of the product and it was NOT related to the clutch/FW itself, but something with the starter rings on the FW not matching up with my starter or some odd-ball thing. Again, RPS is taking care of it and Brainstorm is also being VERY suportive as well.

I have been strongly recommened by the people I trust to the latest and greatest from Centerforce.

I wanted to go with them initially but they couldn't deliver my product in my time frame, and as I don't want to pay again for my equipment/install, I'm fixing the RPS situation.
Thanks Joe thats some very good info....
Old 02-21-2005, 09:23 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

APS has been on the stock clutch/flywheel, but, Peter said they just got an ATS triple plate carbon clutch the other day and they are going to do some testing on that. I believe the ATS clutches are the best for those going over 450rwhp and wanting the clutch to drive like stock and hold the power.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:26 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by nis350ztt
APS has been on the stock clutch/flywheel, but, Peter said they just got an ATS triple plate carbon clutch the other day and they are going to do some testing on that. I believe the ATS clutches are the best for those going over 450rwhp and wanting the clutch to drive like stock and hold the power.
Don't forget the fact that you need to sell a kidney and lung before you can afford one..
Old 02-21-2005, 09:28 AM
JimRHIT

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
Don't forget the fact that you need to sell a kidney and lung before you can afford one..
they also have a left ******** trade-in/discount availible for those that are willing to donate
Old 02-21-2005, 09:33 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Given...but it's also the cheapest twin-plate available - $2,000.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:34 AM
MIAPLAYA

Given...but it's also the cheapest twin-plate available - $2,000.
Don't know about you but $2k for a clutch is blood money to me....
Old 02-21-2005, 09:37 AM
alpine

A carbon/carbon setup is going to run you $2500/3K and up, right?

I think that is an extreme setup as they are suppose to be good for the 700-800HP and I don't know how reasonable that is.

How many people are going there?

Also I think for the potential 50% extended life span from the carbon material, isn't justification enough for the cost although I suppose it could potentially be a wash when you consider LABOR & material to change them out.

I believe a quality clutch from ACT (although I've heard about some problems with some of their 350z setups), Centerforce, RPS, Exedy, etc..etc for 500+ setups are similar priced amongst themselves and offer their own perspectives on feel/performance is more in line with what people are looking for/need.

In this particular case, as APS may now be planning to take their car&kit to the max, they will need that kind of clutch/fw support.

With internals & the new plenum, they could easily go to and over 650RWHP. Of course it's advertised ready for 800.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:53 AM
alpine

Originally posted by JimRHIT
they also have a left ******** trade-in/discount availible for those that are willing to donate
Don't forget the fact that you need to sell a kidney and lung before you can afford one..[/B]
I love my car!

But I'm not going anywhere near any of these options

Although you know we all know someone who wants this stuff and is willing to "go the distance" to get it.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:55 AM
alpine

Originally posted by basam350z
so turbonetics was driving your car around and crashed it? Dang!
I don't believe Brad/Turbonetics was driving the car and I don't think any of them want that getting started if that was NOT the case.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:01 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

A carbon/carbon setup is going to run you $2500/3K and up, right?

I think that is an extreme setup as they are suppose to be good for the 700-800HP and I don't know how reasonable that is.

How many people are going there?

Also I think for the potential 50% extended life span from the carbon material, isn't justification enough for the cost although I suppose it could potentially be a wash when you consider LABOR & material to change them out.

I believe a quality clutch from ACT (although I've heard about some problems with some of their 350z setups), Centerforce, RPS, Exedy, etc..etc for 500+ setups are similar priced amongst themselves and offer their own perspectives on feel/performance is more in line with what people are looking for/need.

In this particular case, as APS may now be planning to take their car&kit to the max, they will need that kind of clutch/fw support.

With internals & the new plenum, they could easily go to and over 650RWHP. Of course it's advertised ready for 800.
As stated above, $2,000.

Quite a few. The 1100kG model is good for 700 tq, but most that are buying it are going to do ~500-650.

You would never have to buy a clutch again, saves on labor, plus stock feel, when it heats up it just grabs better.

Exedy is similar to ATS...just priced more.

Yeah.

650rwhp will be a breeze for them once they get the plenum with injectors mounted. (as long as they have internals)
Old 02-21-2005, 10:03 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Don't know about you but $2k for a clutch is blood money to me....
Eh...never having to replace a clutch again is worth it imo.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:04 AM
MIAPLAYA

I don't believe Brad/Turbonetics was driving the car and I don't think any of them want that getting started if that was NOT the case.
I prefer to leave things as they have been stated. My car had an accident..I don't put this blame on anyone. Accidents happen. Things are getting taken care of and no one got hurt thats the important part. My car is enroute to the auto body place right now. I just spoke with the Body shop and gave them info. They are going to do an estimate as soon as its back and give me a call with whats going on...
Old 02-21-2005, 10:06 AM
alpine

You would never have to buy a clutch again, saves on labor, plus stock feel, when it heats up it just grabs better.
I don't think this is accurate about "never" replacing.

I also thought that once and I spoke with someone I trust about that and their opinion about carbon/carbon was it would be about 50% extended life under abusive high-hp conditions.

Sure C/C may never need to be replaced under normall driving conditions, but again, I don't think this is what we are talking about at this time.

If in fact it was "never replace" then of course 2K is "nothing" it's going to hurt like hell initially, but after a couple years it should pay for itself.

Is there a good clutch/fw thread around here somwhere?
Old 02-21-2005, 10:10 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

I don't think this is accurate about "never" replacing.

I also thought that once and I spoke with someone I trust about that and their opinion about carbon/carbon was it would be about 50% extended life under abusive high-hp conditions.

Sure C/C may never need to be replaced under normall driving conditions, but again, I don't think this is what we are talking about at this time.

If in fact it was "never replace" then of course 2K is "nothing" it's going to hurt like hell initially, but after a couple years it should pay for itself.

Is there a good clutch/fw thread around here somwhere?
That's just what I was told. I don't believe personally that it will last forever, but I do believe it wouldn't have to be replaced near as many times as a regular clutch and flywheel combo would.

There's been a few "Which clutch would be good for FI?" threads.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:13 AM
MIAPLAYA

That's just what I was told. I don't believe personally that it will last forever, but I do believe it wouldn't have to be replaced near as many times as a regular clutch and flywheel combo would.

There's been a few "Which clutch would be good for FI?" threads.
Any chance or moving some of the recent info about a clutch in this thread to a new one....thanks...
Old 02-21-2005, 12:51 PM
MIAPLAYA

Pics of the car....

Last edited by MIAPLAYA; 02-21-2005 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:35 PM
MIAPLAYA

BTW might I just add again that I am so thankful no one was hurt. The car can be fixed. its at the body shop now for an estimate. I don't know what I would do if someone was in the hospital or worse right now as a result of this. Someone upstairs was definitely looking out for everyone that day....
Old 02-21-2005, 01:45 PM
tig488

wow, lucky that IC and piping wasnt, damage, who cares about the car. J/K.

i hate that for you man, hopefully they get it fixed soon so you can get back in it, i know you are eager, as am i to know about this kits performance.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:50 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by tig488
wow, lucky that IC and piping wasnt, damage, who cares about the car. J/K.

i hate that for you man, hopefully they get it fixed soon so you can get back in it, i know you are eager, as am i to know about this kits performance.
You bet I am... Yeah i was pretty impressed that the IC and piping were undamaged even though the front bumber was ripped off the car... Hopefully my exhaust did the same....
Old 02-21-2005, 04:21 PM
AxionF117

the front crash bar has to be removed for the fmic?

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos