Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Motordyne Iso Thermal Plenum Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 08:16 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by undrgnd
There have been numerous questions posed here, and all were answered except the two on dynos. I'm sure it's just an oversight. Has there been any dynamometer-based testing been performed on any of this material prior to offering them for sale? Please post the conditions and results/curves. Thanks
I'll get it dynod but it may not be for some time. I have a ton of other dynos and time consuming things in que. But when I do, it will be done in a manner that best simulates (or approximates) real world conditions. Dynoing the Iso Thermal system won't be as simple as dynoing a typical plenum mod.

Running a typical dyno with the hood open and a fan blowing on it for several minutes before the pull provides real results, but not real world test conditions. Ideally, it would be best to find out what the car does when it is heat soaked with typical heat soaked plenum temperatures and engine compartment temperatures.

I may be able to do a good approximation by creating similar pre/post "plenum temperature" test conditions.

The car could be taken right off a long freeway cruise, quickly slamed on the dyno with the hood opened just seconds before doing the dyno pulls. That would provide near realworld heat soaked test conditions. After doing three baseline pulls, install a MIT kit and repull 3 more runs. (But I can already tell you there will be some amount of gain)

Of course all other temperatures and variables would have to remain constant. Ambient air intake temperature, engine coolant temperature, transmission temperature, ECU and every other variable within reason.

Although I've done many, many research dynos there is always room for more. The only problem is my back is killing me from hours and hours of bolt turning over the engine while on the dyno. And I have so many more dynos to do for so many other cool projects. I love it!

I'm gonna have to get a dyno of my own just to keep up with the research requirements.

BTW,
Important announcement! The Iso Thermal system works on every engine, but the plenum spacers do not work on the 05 6MT "REVUP" engines.

I did pre/post testing of a plenum spacer on the revup engine and it did nothing. The test was fully controlled for all variables so I know the results are true.

Needless to say, I was disappointed in the results. This made me a little mad and I decided I wasn't going to leave it at that. So I set out to find a way to make power on the "REVUP" engine.... And its a good thing it worked out that way because I did indeed find a way to make very, very, very good NA gains on the "REVUP" engine. Details on this will be released in a different thread not too long from now. I'm working on production logistics.

I'll get you REVUP guys Reved up soon.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:20 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by sands
Do you have to bleed the cooling system when you install the CCV? What about the Polarized Copper TB heater?
No on both!
Old 09-25-2005, 08:32 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by mgk65
Tony:

I purchased the 1/4" motordyne spacer in the last group buy and found it worked pretty good, based my my butt dyno.

Can you tell us how much more improvement the isothermal gasket and isothermal TB would have in approximate HP?

thank you.
Based on seeing many dynos performed on cool and heat soaked plenums,
For now, I will estimate the ~3-4 HP in California Summer weather. In cold environments it should do even better because the deltas and heat flux rates are higher.

The Iso Thermal system doesn't make power, it helps to prevent a loss of power as everything gets heat soaked. It essentially functions like a low level intercooler weather you are NA or FI.

Intercoolers obviously add power by making the charge air cooler and more dense. Conversely, the Iso Thermal system prevents power loss by preventing the plenum from getting scalding hot and transfering its heat into the incomming air.

So either way, its about reducing charge air temperatures.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:44 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by alininger2001
Placed an order, will post results when I install it. I have been Looking for something like this my plenum gets hot here in texas, would it help to make a thermal gasket in between the lower plenum and upper plenum as well?
Technically yes, but given the limitation in heigth that can be worked with, it is best to put the maximum amount of thermal insulation between the manifold and the lower plenum.

Besides, the manifold/lower plenum interface makes a great thermal choke point. There isn't much interface there so it make a good point to place the insulation. The upper and lower plenum interface has much more contact area. Thus any insulation will be much less effective there.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:45 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

PS I am working on the Copper TB heater installation documentation now!
Old 09-25-2005, 08:55 AM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
.... And its a good thing it worked out that way because I did indeed find a way to make very, very, very good NA gains on the "REVUP" engine. Details on this will be released in a different thread not too long from now. I'm working on production logistics.
Thanks for the response. I found some background info and additional data on the Motordyne website. Doesn't the revup engine include a different intake manifold collector? That would explain the apparent lack of improvement on the revup engine.

Last edited by undrgnd; 09-25-2005 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:59 AM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hydrazine...I enjoyed meeting and following up with you yesterday at the Turbonetics Open House. To all others I must say Tony is very commited to getting out product that is ensured to work as advertised and makes a GREAT product. I got my Motordyne 5/16" spacer and ISO thermal upgrades yesterday. These will be going on my car in the next week at which time I am going to arrange some solid pre-post dynos for it. Also I have got another turbo Z set up to do some before and after testing for Tony and he can also post results on his car as well. With two independent dynos of this on a boosted car you should all have some solid data with which to base your purchase. This time next week I think we'll all see that Tony has provided a great product that makes proven power and is reliable. Thanks again Tony for coming out yesterday. Hope you had a good time checking things out up there and I look forward to getting you some solid data next week.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:03 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Thanks Robert!

Can't wait to see the turbo results!
Old 09-25-2005, 11:06 AM
jct

I'm setting up the GB now!
Tony: I looked around and did not find a GB; please post a link on this thread when it is set up. Thanks.

OOPS! I just looked a little harder and found the GB. Thanks.

Last edited by jct; 09-25-2005 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:10 AM
booger

I have a Crawford plenum . I need to run 3 gaskets to get it to seal properly . With the 5/16 in. spacer...will I still need the extra gaskets to get the plenum to seal ? Or does the spacer comform to the shape of the plenum ?
Old 09-25-2005, 11:10 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by jct
Tony: I looked around and did not find a GB; please post a link on this thread when it is set up. Thanks.
Right here:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ghlight=plenum

Thanks!
Tony
Old 09-25-2005, 11:19 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by booger
I have a Crawford plenum . I need to run 3 gaskets to get it to seal properly . With the 5/16 in. spacer...will I still need the extra gaskets to get the plenum to seal ? Or does the spacer comform to the shape of the plenum ?
The spacers conform to the plenum very good.

Over 500 have been sold and sealing has never been a problem. One stock gasket on each side is all it takes.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:04 PM
Havok_RLS2

The spacers conform to the plenum very good.

Over 500 have been sold and sealing has never been a problem. One stock gasket on each side is all it takes.
So will I need to purchase 2 new stock plenum gaskets or does this kit come with them already? Forgive me, I just don't know any better.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:07 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Havok_RLS2
So will I need to purchase 2 new stock plenum gaskets or does this kit come with them already? Forgive me, I just don't know any better.
No problem. It comes with a new gasket for the top side of the spacer and it uses your current gasket on the bottom side of the spacer.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:03 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Tony,

Are you going to post the installation instructions on the website so we can get a preview of what's actually involved in removing everything to get to the manifold?

Dave
Old 09-26-2005, 05:17 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Tony,

Are you going to post the installation instructions on the website so we can get a preview of what's actually involved in removing everything to get to the manifold?

Dave
Hi Dave,

Its already posted on the website.
http://www.motordyneengineering.com/install.asp

A hardcopy will be included in your package.
Tony
Old 09-26-2005, 10:28 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No problem. It comes with a new gasket for the top side of the spacer and it uses your current gasket on the bottom side of the spacer.
Sorry to belabor this...So for us guys who already bought the spacer and are just getting the retrofit iso thermal kit can we reuse the two gaskets we have or should we buy two new ones for the best possible seal?
Old 09-26-2005, 12:00 PM
black350

with what number do i get a hold of you guys? i called 661 993 5111 and i got a lady and her two friends...i have some questions i would like to ask over the phone, thanks.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:26 PM
undrgnd

Hi Dave,

Its already posted on the website.
http://www.motordyneengineering.com/install.asp

A hardcopy will be included in your package.
Tony
Tony,

I reviewed the posted installation manual, but did not see any instructions on the copper isothermal option. It appears that both heater hoses are reconnected to the new copper plate? What happens to the old hose connection points? Are the old hose connection points on the manifold or on the TB? Between the bypass valve and the copper isothermal option, which one reduces IM temperature the most? If I just want the plate between the IM and the TB, would I order Item #2, Polarized Copper TB heater for $50? Forgive me if you have already answered these questions. Thanks

Last edited by undrgnd; 09-26-2005 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:11 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
Sorry to belabor this...So for us guys who already bought the spacer and are just getting the retrofit iso thermal kit can we reuse the two gaskets we have or should we buy two new ones for the best possible seal?
You can replace the gskets if you want to, but its not necessary. For my development testing, I used the same gaskets over and over and over. The Nissan gaskets are very good quality.

Tony

Quick Reply: Motordyne Iso Thermal Plenum Spacers