Great day for my Z (Dyno posted, exhaust done, Blue Injen arrived

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 02:23 PM
12SecZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great day for my Z (Dyno posted, exhaust done, Blue Injen arrived

Well,

What a great day off!

First I got my Dyno, not sure how accurate it was because he did all runs in 3rd gear, I was expecting slightly higher numbers (aren't we all) but like I said in another thread they are just base numbers not real world track times. All Dyno's vary. That being said I pulled a 229.3 RWHP 222.3 Torque on my automatic with traction control off. He used the manual mode and shifted till third then shut it down. I expect these numbers to go up when I get some airflow from the CAI and my new exhaust tested (these were done with stock air filter)

Dyno pic 1 of car (hood closed on runs)

Dyno graph break down numbers

And the Dyno graph itself

I will say one thing, even the owner said this was the smoothest chart he had ever seen!

To finish here is a sneak peak at the Blue CAI from my new buddy (in my link section) that will be slapped on tomorow.

the black tube does say Injen on the other side Doh!, as someone mentioned here!

I think I have decided on the ZEX Wet Kit, it's what is being recomended here, with a single NX 100HP jet. I am buying that local and pics will be posted of that too.

Next Dyno graph will include the CAI so we will finally see what it really does!
Old 01-22-2003, 02:33 PM
12SecZ

Default I hate following my own thread

The local shop here is trying to push NX (Nitrous Express) instead because they warranty it, they don't install ZEX, and "NX is the originator of the remote bottle opener" which is one of the main components I wanted.

Perhaps I need to shop around. The ZEX looks pretty cool is has less parts (computer controlled.)

Any thoughts on this Nitro dilemna please PM or email me??

Also my friend is coming tomorow to help me with the CAI, can *anyone* post instructions to do it without removing the dang bumper!!

Thanks all!
Old 01-22-2003, 07:54 PM
iboost

Thanks for sharing the info!

Refresh my memory, what mods did you have installed at this point? What smoothing factor did the dyno operator use? Did you happen to save the runs to disk?

For what its worth, when I dynoed my car in 3rd I got 227.56 HP / 215.5 TQ (SAE). I *immediately* did the run again in 5th and got 236.44 HP / 230.02 TQ. The car was completely stock with the exception of a grounding kit. A smoothing factor of 3 was used. No fan was used. Hood was open, however. Goes to show that runs done in different gear can yield vastly different results.

I can't comment on either nitrous kit as I've never used any, but I'm sure some members here will have some comments to add about that. When you say the shop will warranty NX, what does that warranty cover, exactly? Labor? Parts? Engine rebuild/replacement should something go boom?

Sorry for all the questions.. I'm just a very curious individual. Mod on and thanks for keeping us posted.

Regards,

iboost

Last edited by iboost; 01-22-2003 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:17 PM
mikeyngo

haha, ur another dude with a DB touring in sacramento...
Old 01-22-2003, 09:26 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Great day for my Z (Dyno posted, exhaust done, Blue Injen arrived

Originally posted by MaxHax
Well,

I think I have decided on the ZEX Wet Kit, it's what is being recomended here, with a single NX 100HP jet. I am buying that local and pics will be posted of that too.

Good luck and let us know how it works.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:26 PM
12SecZ

Default Thanks for the interest iboost, thanks hfm

When I dynoed today I had just done a crush bend Y-Pipe and resonator delete with a 3 chamber Flow Master 80 series muffler and the grounding kit.

He didn't mention anything about a smoothing factor and the only Z he had previuosly dynoed was a 6MT.

I asked him about using 4 or 5th gear but he said (and my friend that helped me install my CAI tonight agreed) that on an auto 3rd gear is optimum *if* it is the 1-1 gear?

He didn't seem as orientated with the manual mode shifting as I am, I know I could get it higher but it *was* SAE corrected.

Later in the day I added a MagnaFlow straight through muffler and tonight we slapped on the Injen CAI.

So the next Dyno will be with the less restrictive (and better sounding) muffler and the CAI. So to be clear the next Dyno will show the *exact* gains my car got from the CAI.

I can tell you this it feels very fast and smooth and quieter , the rasp is gone, no rasp at all anymore and it's throaty. Yet it's stock again at idle.

As for high flow cats, they are not an option right now. We looked very close and tried our best. Nissan used funky restrictive cats that are actually half U shaped like this

_)

they start at the exhaust manifold up towards the engine and continue down into the front of where the Y-ppe starts and that is where the 02 sims connect.

You could remove the stock one add piping and place high flows lower but then clearance becomes an issue. He pointed out scrapes that even the stock ones have recieved, they are about a foot long , twice as long as my LS1 ones were!

He said the only hope is that a Manafacturer will design a high flow cat based on this wierd shape with built in 02 sims. If you are planning this he recommended doing headers at the same time.

As for the Nitrous the installer won't warranty a product they don't sell (in other words spend your money there or else.) This sort of turned me off. Nex is the product to get and my racing buddy agreed. Stealth and easy to remove and the safest N20 kit on the market right now. Fuel is regulated by the pressure of the bottle not a micro or TPS switch.

Last edited by 12SecZ; 01-22-2003 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:30 PM
12SecZ

Arrow

haha, ur another dude with a DB touring in sacramento...
Very cool!

Automatic or manual? Bet you I got you there, DB Auto's are rare in Sac.

Let's cruise together and trip people out! You live North or South and how old are you? I'm 37 and live North by Arco Arena (Go Kings) but work South.

We also have another Sac guy John who pokes in here about once a month. GTG Super Bowl Party?

Raider fan? If not I forgive you...

Gonna Dyno that thing?
Old 01-22-2003, 11:47 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont have experience with nitrous, but i have heard good things about NitrousXpress, popular among honda/acura sprayers. zex is also good, i hear.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:22 AM
Ben Davis

Always dyno as near as possibly to a 1:! ratio but keep in mind as we saw above, the lower gears (1-2-3) take more HP away than the higher gears do on a dyno! In reality your car will still perform the same way at the track regardless wether it has 222 in 3rd or 230 in 4th.

Ben
Old 01-23-2003, 08:31 AM
SeattleInfo

Default Re: Thanks for the interest iboost, thanks hfm

... I asked him about using 4 or 5th gear but he said (and my friend that helped me install my CAI tonight agreed) that on an auto 3rd gear is optimum *if* it is the 1-1 gear? ...
4th Gear for the AT is the 1:1 gear for the tranny. Just so you know when you head back to the dyno for your runs.

It's 5th Gear in the MT's.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:24 AM
12SecZ

Default Good info thanks

Next Dyno will be 4th gear pulls with CAI.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:45 PM
DrRick

nice numbers. do the autos come with the CF driveshaft. my theory is that the engines in the Z and Gc are the same and that the driveshaft accounts for the bump in numbers. i just really wish someone would make some mods for the G one day..........

Doc
Old 01-23-2003, 04:07 PM
12SecZ

Default Yes the DS is Carbon Fiber

You can see a pic of it in my exhaust setup at my website,

Just CF Coated the DS is plastic actually IIRC. Speaking DS's, any DS Safety Loops made yet

Thanks!

I told you this was never ending.

NHRA Law you know?
Old 01-23-2003, 08:51 PM
sdpearso

We also have another Sac guy John who pokes in here about once a month. GTG Super Bowl Party?
Don't forget about me Max, I'm a Sacto guy.

We gotta do another meet when we get enough Sacto people on here.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:06 PM
Brad4rdHay

Don't want to rain on anyones parade, but I was just informed that someone with an aftermarket exhaust (we all know of) reported the check engine light comming on after a month or so (forget exact time) meaning the ECU whent into fail safe mode.