Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

MREV+ Dyno Tested On The 287 HP Engine!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 06:22 PM
BigZ88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good! how do you drive the ecu into "performance mode" thats the first i've heard of that.

i hope you keep extracting power!

wish i ddint live so far so i could get hooked up and get in some dyno time!
Old 04-11-2006, 06:30 PM
baron

Tony,

Thanks for the results. Do you know if the addition of an intake (CAI or short ram) would add any more gains to the mod of lower plenum + spacer?

Thanks,
Baron
Old 04-11-2006, 07:36 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z BOY
tony, when will you have the newest version of the machined lower plenums ready for sale, and do you anticipate any further lower plenum modification and testing in the near future, or have you maxed it out?
ps: how can more air=lower a/f?
I'll get the website setup for it soon.

And as of now, I can't see anything left to do as far as lower plenum mods are concerned. Port and polish is the only thing left to do but it doesn't really do much.

And good question about more air=lower A/F.... I don't know how it does that. I only know I have seen it more than once, and I have only seen this on plenum mods. Never on exhaust mods.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:51 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by BigZ88
Looks good! how do you drive the ecu into "performance mode" thats the first i've heard of that.

i hope you keep extracting power!

wish i ddint live so far so i could get hooked up and get in some dyno time!
Resets.

Sometimes the ECU will go into granny mode and pull back on timing. Sometimes a reset makes a big difference and sometimes it makes no difference at all.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Nismo 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So are you saying you made more power on the 287hp non rev-up engine by adding this MREV++?? Is that what this is. I thought the MREV was only for Rev-up motors. Looks like you gained 6hp and 3ft/lb. with just the modified lower plenum. How much would a 5/16th spacer add?
Old 04-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z
So are you saying you made more power on the 287hp non rev-up engine by adding this MREV++?? Is that what this is. I thought the MREV was only for Rev-up motors. Looks like you gained 6hp and 3ft/lb. with just the modified lower plenum. How much would a 5/16th spacer add?
We shall see, we shall see.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:56 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

i'm kinda confused.. but hopefully somebody will clear things up as far as what i need to buy to get the most performance gain..
i'm guessing 5/16 iso-thermal plenum spacer & MREV+(remachined for 287hp engines)?

waiting for the dyno results and the website to update..
i'm itchin to get this for my car!! hurry up!!
Old 04-12-2006, 01:28 AM
amG35

What is the cause of the erratic plot at 5200 RPM? Thanks.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:43 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z
Yes and yes. The regular MREV is only for the revup motors. Installing a MREV on a 287 engine would be no differerent than installing just a spacer because the lower collector is identical.

But it turns out that the lower collector modifications being performed on the lower collector of the MREV+ or even the MREV++ is also good for more HP on the 287 engine.

I know it may be confusing but hang in there. I will consolidate the product line to simplify it.

EDIT:
6HP in the midrange from the last modification seems like a lot. I certaintly hope it works that good but I would also like to see it repeated on another vehicle. If it is shown to be repeatable then its party time!

Lets get it dynod once again on WIRED 24/7's Z to validate the results.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 04-12-2006 at 06:04 AM.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:51 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by amG35
What is the cause of the erratic plot at 5200 RPM? Thanks.
I asked the dyno operator the same question... He didn't know. It was a momentary loss of telemetry at some point. I've seen this happen on both Mustang dynos and Dynojets. ...I don't know why. The dyno machine was clean and in new condition.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:54 AM
GeoFX

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Yes and yes. The regular MREV is only for the revup motors. Installing a MREV on a 287 engine would be no differerent than installing just a spacer because the lower collector is identical.

But it turns out that the lower collector modifications being performed on the lower collector of the MREV+ or even the MREV++ is also good for more HP on the 287 engine.

I know it may be confusing but hang in there. I will consolidate the product line to simplify it.

EDIT:
6HP in the midrange from the last modification seems like a lot. I certaintly hope it works that good but I would also like to see it repeated on another vehicle. If it is shown to be repeatable then its party time!

Lets get it dynod once again on WIRED 24/7's Z to validate the results.
Tony, can't wait to try your MREV++ kit with the 5/16" spacer on my FX35 on Friday. Will be doing before and after 0-60 GTech runs as well.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:16 AM
LMG_35C

Tony
- Many thanks for the dyno runs w/AF ratio. That's what I was asking about earlier - this is kinda wierd behavior for intake improvements isn't it? But I'll take whatever it seems to get.

Can you just confirm what year/model and other mods, if any, were involved in this last dyno? I've kinda lost track of all this.

Looks like my waiting to place an order is getting close to over.

THANKS
Old 04-12-2006, 08:39 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by GeoFX
Tony, can't wait to try your MREV++ kit with the 5/16" spacer on my FX35 on Friday. Will be doing before and after 0-60 GTech runs as well.
I'll be helping with the install. We'll be sure to take lots of pics (without giving away any of Tony's secrets ) and post impressions.

Last edited by MustGoFastR; 04-12-2006 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:08 AM
kpiskin

It seems like the first MREV mod (MREV+) actually made more power than the MREV++, am I wrong?
Old 04-12-2006, 09:37 AM
MustGoFastR

dyno above shows MREV++ had gains over MREV+. 1st pull (blue line) was MREV+, second pull (red line) was MREV++.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:10 AM
dovla

Tony, this mod for additional gains is just great. Thanks

Did I read this right: MREV+ increased AF 20% of 1 R and MREV++ decreased these 20% of 1 R plus it decreased another 5% of 1 R?

If so, this is good news for us with leaner AFR, and if MREV++ with 1/2" spacer will perform on dyno as expected then this is mod I definitely like to have.

Absolutely nothing was changed between the pre/post dyno runs except for installing the new lower plenum. The car was not removed from the dyno and the ECU was purposfully driven into performance mode before each set.

What is interesting to see in the plot above is that the new modification shifted A/F down about a 1/4 point through most of the curve. This isn't the first time I've seen a mod make power and simultaneously make it run a little richer, but it is always interesting to see.
Sorry, can't do GB's now that we have distributors.

Good question about the A/F. Especially considering you have the HKS SC.

....YES It shifted A/F up ~2/10th's of a point. Not much, but we did see it.
It was tuned to a nominal 12.75-13.0 A/F with a Greddy EU. The car even in its relatively stock condition was running very lean at WOT in the 14-15 A/F range. Way too lean for good health or good testing. So the tune was not to turn it into a dyno queen. More than anything it was to bring A/F back into a nominal range.

And I understand the skepticism. There are so many manufacturers that claim bogus or wildly exaggerated HP gains that any experienced mod installer would know better.

As with any of the other Motordyne products, independant testing is encouraged. I am confident these gains will be independantly repeatable.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:21 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by G35 6MT
What are the dyno testing combinations your going to be testing this weekend for the plenum spacers?

I'm hoping the new and improved machined MREV++ 287HP lower plenum with a 5/16" spacer and a 1/2 spacer comparison.
Well, at the minimum I want to test:

-Baseline (my motor, intake, exhaust are all bone stock)
-MREV++ new collector
-Add 5/16" spacer

-If we have time, then hopefully do 1 more combo such as older MREV+ collector + 5/16" spacer

I don't see a need to test spacer by itself, because there have been quite a few independant dynos of the spacer IIRC.

Frankly I don't think we're going to be using the 1/2" spacer. The 5/16" is just so much more practical.

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 04-12-2006 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by LMG_35C
Can you just confirm what year/model and other mods, if any, were involved in this last dyno? I've kinda lost track of all this.
2004.5 G35 Sedan with a Greddy exhaust and EU.

I would say its prety close to stock condition. The Greddy exhaust was used so I could weld in a O2 sensor bung after the stock y pipe. I wouldn't say the Greddy exhaust is anything special. The resonators in the mid pipe are only 2" diameter flow through. This doesn't make it much better than the stock exhaust.

The EU certaintly helped because when the car was stock it was running 14.5 to 15.2 A/F WOT from ~3K RPM to Redline. Way too lean for safe operation on the track. So the EU was used primarily to fix an unsafe lean condition.

All in all, I would say it represents a relatively stock conditon for a G35 sedan.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:04 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Well, at the minimum I want to test:

-Baseline (my motor, intake, exhaust are all bone stock)
-MREV++ new collector
-Add 5/16" spacer

-If we have time, then hopefully do 1 more combo such as older MREV+ collector + 5/16" spacer

I don't see a need to test spacer by itself, because there have been quite a few independant dynos of the spacer IIRC.

Frankly I don't think we're going to be using the 1/2" spacer. The 5/16" is just so much more practical.
i can't wait to see your results.. that's exactly what i wanted to know.. hopefully it's sometime soon cuz i've been waiting to get the spacer and now i find this, more waiting.. but oh well.. might as well wait a little longer for more hp to the z
Old 04-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

We're all good to go.

I'll let Mike (Wired 24/7) set the appointment time to fit his schedule.

From what I know so far, it can be this weekend, Monday or next weekend.

Quick Reply: MREV+ Dyno Tested On The 287 HP Engine!