Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

MREV V2 Independent Dyno Tested on Bone Stock 287HP Motor (Wired 24/7's 05 Touring)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 10:05 AM
stiv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys:

I've been super busy with work so I've been out of the loop for a while.

Does Motordyne have more MREV2's in stock yet?

I noticed some random vendors have them in stock (or atleast that's what their websites claim) but I wanted to go directly through Motordyne because of their core program.

If these are in stock, I'd like to pull the trigger and I could deliver the core in person as I'm somewhat local.

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:50 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Stiv,

Yes, we have them in stock. But you can also purchase them through through any of our dealers and still do a core rebate.

We'll essentially buy any 287 lower collector from anybody as long as its in good condition.

So you don't necessarily have to get it direct from Motordyne.

Tony
Old 07-18-2006, 09:12 PM
stiv

Hydrazine:

Cool. Thanks for replying. I was contemplating an exhaust kit for my next mod but I think the MREV2 is the way to go for now.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:55 AM
stiv

Tony:

This is probably wishful thinking but do you guys do MREV-2 installs for us 'local dudes'.

I would be sweet if you did cuz then I'd be able to just leave my core. (2 birds, one stone)

If you don't do installs could you possibly recommend a good local shop?

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:48 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by stiv
Tony:

This is probably wishful thinking but do you guys do MREV-2 installs for us 'local dudes'.

I would be sweet if you did cuz then I'd be able to just leave my core. (2 birds, one stone)

If you don't do installs could you possibly recommend a good local shop?

Thanks.
Hi Stiv,

We don't do installs, but Performance Nissan in Duarte can install it for you no problem. There is also Brainstorm performance in our area too.

Both are fairly local.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:18 PM
FairLadeeeZ

How does having the 5/16" spacer and MREV2 compare to just buying a full plenum like an APS tall boy? yes i've seen the shootout, but i dont recall it going against the APS plenum.. Anyone have dynos of added gains w/ the APS plenum? Not to knock on the product or anything, cuz i am considering buying the MREV2, but in the end i'll have paid about 624 for both of these. The reason i bought the spacer in the first place was it was the best bang for the buck mod compared to plenums..

Last edited by FairLadeeeZ; 07-20-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

I'll say the MREV2 and spacer combo will outperform any other plenum mod on the market. But I'm the manufacturer promoting my own product... I suppose it would be best for independent opinions/dynos to answer your question.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:13 AM
boma

I have an '03 Z 6MT - I want just the MREV2 since it is the biggest bang for my buck.

I'm assuming it costs $466.
I ship my core lower collector and get a $122 rebate.
Which brings the cost to $344.

+Shipping.

Is this correct? I was reading the threads and heard something about a two hundred dollar something. Lastly, I am assuming I do not need ISO thermal gasket.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:57 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

The introductory price is what you probably read about. That was only for the first 100 something people.

With MREV2, you won't get an ISO thermal gasket, but you do get some other type gasket that goes under it.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:02 AM
masterj26

Originally Posted by boma
I have an '03 Z 6MT - I want just the MREV2 since it is the biggest bang for my buck.

I'm assuming it costs $466.
I ship my core lower collector and get a $122 rebate.
Which brings the cost to $344.

+Shipping.

Is this correct? I was reading the threads and heard something about a two hundred dollar something. Lastly, I am assuming I do not need ISO thermal gasket.
If you have any questions just call Tony at MD he is very friendly and will answer all of your questions.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:26 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

+1.. definitely give him a call.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:43 AM
one350zfan

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
I reset mine.. by just disconnecting the batteries for the duration of the install.. as soon as i disconnected it, i drained the battery by holding the brake pedal for a bit.. i did a few redline runs right after i got it out of the garage.. i felt a bit of torque gain.. and i noticed that the popcharger got slightly louder also.
Yeah, don't expect much from this mod. As I told you on the other thread, I did the machining myself and it came out pretty darn good. However, I noticed little gain from the butt dyno. A week later I installed the skunk2 spacer on top of my machined plenum and noticed big gains! I can actually chirp 3rd on my 275's. Before I get flamed, I'd like to point out that I've seen the mrev2 in person and actually installed it on my buddy's car so I know what goes into the machining. On my buddy's car, he already had the 5/16 spacer with utec tuned for mid 13 a/f. With those two mods along with I/E/TP his car was much faster. We then installed the mrev2 on his car and noticed basically nothing. He didn't have to re-tune for a/f or anything. His timing was advanced with 93 and 100 octane(not mixed). So, in short, we believe that the spacer out performs the mrev2 because we have had experience with before and after spacer installs and if I had to lose any of my mods it would be the lower plenum. This is anecdotal evidence so take it for what its worth and I don't feel the need to spend $ to prove what I've already experienced. We've used and installed Tony's products with great results and success however I'm just a bit skeptical about this mod.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:03 PM
ZLadie2000
Banned

All the dyno evidence and independant tests point to MREV 2 (for 287hp engine) being the best bang for the buck, as it outperformed the plenum spacer in area under the curve gains (daily driving gains)...
Old 07-22-2006, 12:12 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Originally Posted by one350zfan
Yeah, don't expect much from this mod. As I told you on the other thread, I did the machining myself and it came out pretty darn good. However, I noticed little gain from the butt dyno. A week later I installed the skunk2 spacer on top of my machined plenum and noticed big gains! I can actually chirp 3rd on my 275's. Before I get flamed, I'd like to point out that I've seen the mrev2 in person and actually installed it on my buddy's car so I know what goes into the machining. On my buddy's car, he already had the 5/16 spacer with utec tuned for mid 13 a/f. With those two mods along with I/E/TP his car was much faster. We then installed the mrev2 on his car and noticed basically nothing. He didn't have to re-tune for a/f or anything. His timing was advanced with 93 and 100 octane(not mixed). So, in short, we believe that the spacer out performs the mrev2 because we have had experience with before and after spacer installs and if I had to lose any of my mods it would be the lower plenum. This is anecdotal evidence so take it for what its worth and I don't feel the need to spend $ to prove what I've already experienced. We've used and installed Tony's products with great results and success however I'm just a bit skeptical about this mod.
Alright, I'm not tryin to knock you or anything but I have to disagree with almost everything you just said. Well, from my experience and from our (local Z owners) discussion, I would have to disagree.

MREV2 is definitely worth the money!!! I drag race my Z against other Zs all the time. My mods are popcharger, MREV2, y-pipe back pro-1 exhaust, heavy *** nismo replicas in a 03 Touring Z. There's one 05 enthusiast Z that is similarly modded - popcharger, headers, y-pipe, pro-1 exhaust, ground kit, lowered, and on stock rims with 255s all around. Even though he's a bit more modded, I pull on him every time. I break 13s in mid 90s weather with high humidity. The other Z's only do low 14s at best, but usually run mid 14s. I guess it could be that I'm a better driver, but that still doesn't count for .2-.3 second difference I wouldn't think.

We've done highway pulls from 2nd gear at 45mph, and I pulled on him. At the track, he would get the jump (because I lost low end tq due to 3 inch piping from the midpipe back and y-pipe being a 2.5 inch piping). As soon as we get going, I just start inching on him. I've almost always had a higher trap speed than him too.

At the track, I spin 1st, chirp 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th. I've at down the track with 275 Pirelli P-Zeros and 275 Nitto 555. I don't know, but that machined plenum seems to be doing its job.. That or I'm hell of a driver or I have a factory freak.

I'll be dynoing my car and so will that other Z next Saturday. I'll keep you guys posted. Theoretically, him having the lighter and more modded Z, he should be beating me, but.. nope!
Old 07-22-2006, 09:45 AM
Road Warrior

please post dyno numbers to back up your claims

is the mrev2 +287 better than spacer +287, or mrev2 + spacer + 287????
Old 07-22-2006, 10:06 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

I will post the dyno charts after I dyno my car next Saturday. We will see why I always beat them in the quarter mile drag strip. Hopefully, it's me that's getting the low times on the track, but if it proves to be the mrev2, I'll be still be happy.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:48 PM
one350zfan

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
Alright, I'm not tryin to knock you or anything but I have to disagree with almost everything you just said. Well, from my experience and from our (local Z owners) discussion, I would have to disagree.

MREV2 is definitely worth the money!!! I drag race my Z against other Zs all the time. My mods are popcharger, MREV2, y-pipe back pro-1 exhaust, heavy *** nismo replicas in a 03 Touring Z. There's one 05 enthusiast Z that is similarly modded - popcharger, headers, y-pipe, pro-1 exhaust, ground kit, lowered, and on stock rims with 255s all around. Even though he's a bit more modded, I pull on him every time. I break 13s in mid 90s weather with high humidity. The other Z's only do low 14s at best, but usually run mid 14s. I guess it could be that I'm a better driver, but that still doesn't count for .2-.3 second difference I wouldn't think.

We've done highway pulls from 2nd gear at 45mph, and I pulled on him. At the track, he would get the jump (because I lost low end tq due to 3 inch piping from the midpipe back and y-pipe being a 2.5 inch piping). As soon as we get going, I just start inching on him. I've almost always had a higher trap speed than him too.

At the track, I spin 1st, chirp 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th. I've at down the track with 275 Pirelli P-Zeros and 275 Nitto 555. I don't know, but that machined plenum seems to be doing its job.. That or I'm hell of a driver or I have a factory freak.

I'll be dynoing my car and so will that other Z next Saturday. I'll keep you guys posted. Theoretically, him having the lighter and more modded Z, he should be beating me, but.. nope!
Thats cool! But I wouldn't use track time for anything because I ran better times than my buddy when I had zero plenum mods and he has mrev2+spacer+utec. The reason I win... I have a base. Buy a spacer and tell me it didn't help more. Your own words were you felt a little down low and made your pop-charger sound louder. I'm telling you I felt the same as you but there was no doubt it really opened up after the spacer install. A Dyno will be no good unless you do before and after. Maybe I'm missing something but are there any threads with before and after dyno's regarding the mrev2 besides this one. Hey, I'm just sharing my experience..thats all!

Also, what were some of the points about the mrev2 brought up at these said Z meeting discussions? I'm just wondering if my buddy's was machined wrong because if motordyne would give him his money back he'd return it. So maybe we're missing something!
Old 07-22-2006, 01:10 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Your friend can return it any time for a full refund. We have a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all our products.

All the in house and independant dyno testing shows MREV2 making clear gains, but in any case he can return it no problem.

Tony
Old 07-22-2006, 01:41 PM
one350zfan

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Your friend can return it any time for a full refund. We have a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all our products.

All the in house and independant dyno testing shows MREV2 making clear gains, but in any case he can return it no problem.

Tony
Thats cool! I don't mean to hate, but we're just having allot more success with your spacer than mrev2. If its not too much trouble, can someone pm me these dyno sheets? We did a ton of data logging and tuning with the mrev2 on my buddy's car(on utec with tuner) so maybe its time to hit a dyno to see if we can squeeze more out of it!
Old 07-22-2006, 01:46 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by one350zfan
Thats cool! I don't mean to hate, but we're just having allot more success with your spacer than mrev2. If its not too much trouble, can someone pm me these dyno sheets? We did a ton of data logging and tuning with the mrev2 on my buddy's car(on utec with tuner) so maybe its time to hit a dyno to see if we can squeeze more out of it!
Nissan North America tested it on their own in house dyno and made gains with it. Their dyno plots were posted here a month or two ago. You should be able to find it with a quick search.

Quick Reply: MREV V2 Independent Dyno Tested on Bone Stock 287HP Motor (Wired 24/7's 05 Touring)