Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Removed Stock Muffler...My Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006 | 01:17 PM
Vamos_Rafael

what happen to the idea where like supercars they have an exhaust flap that opens up?

can those be custom made?
Old 09-13-2006 | 02:58 PM
SBT

a cutout? sure why not
Old 09-13-2006 | 03:56 PM
jondimellow

Originally Posted by SBT
no, but it might prompt them to pull you over if they realize that and then start thinking about how loud it is

like we've said a bunch of times, it's not THAT loud and I don't think you would get pulled over for it...but then again, you never know

if you've got the time and small amount of money it costs, it's definitely fun as hell to drive around with
i defanitely think it's THAT loud. I would only do it at a track....
Old 09-14-2006 | 03:12 AM
SBT

oh you california guys =)
Old 09-14-2006 | 09:21 AM
jondimellow

haha. i would totally do it, other than the fact when i get caught they take my car away =p
Old 09-14-2006 | 09:24 AM
SBT

if there are any local people interested in seeing the exhaust in person, there is supposed to be a gathering of sorts in rockaway this saturday, 9/16
Old 10-02-2006 | 11:55 AM
Luscious Luke

First of all, this weekend I took my muffler off and liked my results. Today I decided to get on here, do a quick search and stumbled across this thread. After reading all 11 pages worth of posts, weighing the pros and cons, sifting through peoples opinions and flames on the matter, I was convinced. I could spend 100 bux to have my local muffler shop remove my stock can and weld my stock tips back on a pipe and achieve what I wanted for a fraction of the price.

Like many others who dont have a ton of money, this option was great for me. I wanted it louder, deeper, and could care less how much power I lost or gained. In a nut shell, I decided to do the same thing to my 06.

It is currently in the shop having the work done and should have it back in about 2 hours.

I will have pictures and video of it soon for you guys.

All that matters is that you are pleased with your own car.......and I am.

Rock on Mr. SBT, rock on!!!
Old 10-02-2006 | 12:19 PM
SBT

I look forward to hearing/seeing your results...rock on yourself too.

I would've done something cheaper, but I wanted to keep my stock muffler intact so it remains a bolt-on, bolt-off modification. Maybe you won't get the slight hissing like me, and maybe it will sound a little different.

Keep us posted.

-Chris
Old 10-02-2006 | 04:02 PM
jondimellow

Originally Posted by Luscious Luke
First of all, this weekend I took my muffler off and liked my results. Today I decided to get on here, do a quick search and stumbled across this thread. After reading all 11 pages worth of posts, weighing the pros and cons, sifting through peoples opinions and flames on the matter, I was convinced. I could spend 100 bux to have my local muffler shop remove my stock can and weld my stock tips back on a pipe and achieve what I wanted for a fraction of the price.

Like many others who dont have a ton of money, this option was great for me. I wanted it louder, deeper, and could care less how much power I lost or gained. In a nut shell, I decided to do the same thing to my 06.

It is currently in the shop having the work done and should have it back in about 2 hours.

I will have pictures and video of it soon for you guys.

All that matters is that you are pleased with your own car.......and I am.

Rock on Mr. SBT, rock on!!!
not flamming cause i kinda like the sound too. but u live in san jose. if the cops hear u, wouldn't they know like fast that something is up? esp with that new fast and furious movie out.
Old 10-02-2006 | 04:50 PM
Luscious Luke

Originally Posted by jondimellow
not flamming cause i kinda like the sound too. but u live in san jose. if the cops hear u, wouldn't they know like fast that something is up? esp with that new fast and furious movie out.
You know whats really funny, I was watching Tokyo Drift when I got the wild hair up my *** to try unbolting my exhaust. That is hilarious man, I am a ricer at heart, I know, but its worth it to take my chances with P.D. because it just sounds so damn good. The sound of my new exhaust outweighs the possibility of a ticket.

Last edited by Luscious Luke; 10-02-2006 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-02-2006 | 04:53 PM
Luscious Luke

Here you go guys, just got it back and it sounds great. The best 100 buxs spent on my Z so far. I had them weld flanges back on the new piping so I could take it off and put the stock one back on in the event of a ticket. Let me know what you think. Fly by videos soon to come. Stay tuned.
Attached Thumbnails Removed Stock Muffler...My Thoughts-new-exhaust-1.jpg   Removed Stock Muffler...My Thoughts-new-exhaust-2.jpg   Removed Stock Muffler...My Thoughts-new-exhaust-3.jpg   Removed Stock Muffler...My Thoughts-new-exhaust-4.jpg   Removed Stock Muffler...My Thoughts-new-exhaust-5.jpg  

Old 10-02-2006 | 04:55 PM
Luscious Luke

P.S., I dont wanna hear crap about the welds either, They looks pretty damn good to me. There are zero exhaust leaks and it doesnt rattle, so Im happy. I really don't think they look half bad, plus they are under the car. Just warning off any future flames.

Also, I am having it thermal coated black to make the piping stand out a little less. Not a big fan of the silver pipe, thats gotta go quick.

Last edited by Luscious Luke; 10-02-2006 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-02-2006 | 06:34 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired
Premier Member

Pretty nice mod dude... good job getting it done right instead of running with no muffler or tips at all

By the way your setup is now quite similar to RSR exhaust. I wouldn't say it's the best design ever, but probably higher flowing than stock.

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 10-02-2006 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-02-2006 | 06:49 PM
undrgnd

Hey man, if you don't want any feedback, don't post. The welds are not good, and just because you have no leaks now... As far as sound goes, I haven't heard it. Looks? Come on! Ever seen one of those Neon SXT / SRT-4 wannabees from behind? B I N G O

I am by no means demeaning what you have done, if this what you prefer, more power to you. But let's be realistic. Have you noticed what most of the cars on this forum look like?
Old 10-02-2006 | 07:01 PM
Luscious Luke

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Pretty nice mod dude... good job getting it done right instead of running with no muffler or tips at all

By the way your setup is now quite similar to RSR exhaust. I wouldn't say it's the best design ever, but probably higher flowing than stock.

I like the piping and the welds on that one, I'm just not a fan of those mufflers or tips. In all, the RSR doesn't look half bad.

On the other hand, ya still cant beat 100 bucks for a nearly stock, awesome sounding exhaust. The desired sound and the price just outweighed everything else I had been looking at (i.e. Borla TD, or the Nismo). To say the least, Im happy with the low budget version.
Old 10-02-2006 | 07:08 PM
arodbrs

Thumbs up if u have nothing good to say, shut your hole.......

i like it, its your z and if u want to rock it that way by all means, im thinking of doing the same to my z thanks for the pics, is there a way i can get some sound clips so i can hear how loud it is....................
Old 10-02-2006 | 07:08 PM
Luscious Luke

Originally Posted by undrgnd
Hey man, if you don't want any feedback, don't post. The welds are not good, and just because you have no leaks now... As far as sound goes, I haven't heard it. Looks? Come on! Ever seen one of those Neon SXT / SRT-4 wannabees from behind? B I N G O

I am by no means demeaning what you have done, if this what you prefer, more power to you. But let's be realistic. Have you noticed what most of the cars on this forum look like?
I asked for feedback, but I simply asked others to omit the **** talking about the little things like welds, who the hell really cares about welds if they serve the purpose and you can't see them. If you would like to comment on the over all look, then go right ahead, that is a different story. If you don't like it, I still don't care.

Also, Im not quite sure what you are comparing when it comes to a Neon.

And yes, I have noticed what most of the cars look like on here, mine looks pretty damn identical to most of them. Again, not sure what you are comparing my Z to when it comes to other Z's on this site.

Pardon me if I misunderstood you.
Old 10-02-2006 | 07:12 PM
Luscious Luke

Originally Posted by arodbrs
i like it, its your z and if u want to rock it that way by all means, im thinking of doing the same to my z thanks for the pics, is there a way i can get some sound clips so i can hear how loud it is....................
In the famous words of Thumper, "If you can't say anything nice, shut your hole.".......good quote my friend. Thanks for the props.

Im working on getting a fly by video up on here for you guys. It was dark when I got home and had no one to hold the camera. Will get a clip up soon.

Last edited by Luscious Luke; 10-02-2006 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-02-2006 | 07:40 PM
smokedout350z

good job sir...welcome to club "Take da muffler off"...it's kinda loud in da cabin but soundz like a beast from da outside..
Old 10-02-2006 | 07:55 PM
Luscious Luke

Originally Posted by smokedout350z
good job sir...welcome to club "Take da muffler off"...it's kinda loud in da cabin but soundz like a beast from da outside..
I love the sound, now if I can only trust my girlfriend to drive it down the street for me so I can hear it too. That might be asking too much, she has a fetish for curbs, lol.

Thanks for the props.

Quick Reply: Removed Stock Muffler...My Thoughts