no...ZXDUDE is
Old 10-08-2006 | 12:01 PM
Luscious Luke

Originally Posted by Vamos_Rafael
luscious luke... you are a true pioneer for ultra cheap exhaust mod ^^
I owe it all to my "ricer" roots.
Old 10-08-2006 | 04:19 PM
hunter6

I'm becoming a big fan of the po folk exhaust. I know you guys aren't going for HP/TQ increases, but some before and after dynos would be interesting. Also...does the po folk exhaust drone on the highway?
Old 10-08-2006 | 05:22 PM
XZLR8NZ

Alright guys, I am removing my muffler aswell and creating new piping just like Luke and SBT. We should start a group!!! haha I'll post up pics soon...
Old 10-08-2006 | 05:59 PM
smokedout350z

yeah yaeh

Last edited by smokedout350z; 10-09-2006 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-09-2006 | 08:04 AM
Luscious Luke

Originally Posted by hunter6
I'm becoming a big fan of the po folk exhaust. I know you guys aren't going for HP/TQ increases, but some before and after dynos would be interesting. Also...does the po folk exhaust drone on the highway?
On the highway is when its the quietest, atleast on mine anyway. Its really only that loud when you are under load and in 1st - 4th gear and around 3500 to 4500 RPMs. It really mellows out nicely when you are cruisin or on the freeway.

I would definitely consider it if you are looking for a clean, quality sound. Although it may not get the performance gains you are looking for, it sounds like you paid 1400+ bucks for it.

They rest of us are happy, so happy even, we started "Team Po Folks." Ive only had it a week and have been approached by 4 other Z owners on the street asking what kind of exhaust it was. I proudly raise my fist and say "TEAM PO FOLKS." They can't believe it.
Old 10-09-2006 | 11:01 AM
smokedout350z

so now i got the team PO FOLKS exhaust..i was thinking if i should trade my car for an IS300...
Old 10-09-2006 | 11:16 AM
Luscious Luke

Originally Posted by smokedout350z
so now i got the team PO FOLKS exhaust..i was thinking if i should trade my car for an IS300...
LOL, ohhhhh man.
Old 10-09-2006 | 11:27 AM
cms-35z

Very cool job. I like seeing well thought out budget mods. I know of some scca guys who run bstock remove their exhaust for racing. Saves some weight and might gain some topend power.
Old 10-09-2006 | 11:28 AM
smokedout350z

nah..its nothing wrong with the exhaust...its just that i wanna go into another direction....i don't know yet...
Old 10-09-2006 | 01:02 PM
hunter6

Originally Posted by Luscious Luke
They rest of us are happy, so happy even, we started "Team Po Folks." Ive only had it a week and have been approached by 4 other Z owners on the street asking what kind of exhaust it was. I proudly raise my fist and say "TEAM PO FOLKS." They can't believe it.
I got a good laugh out of that, thanks! Great to hear there is no drone on the highway. I'll tell you what, no drone is a great thing. Now if someone can just dyno the PO FOLK. If it makes any power it's going to be an interesting choice for those that think it sucks to pay 1k for an exhaust system. By the way, do you save any weight by going with PO FOLK?

P.S. You should patent "PO FOLK"
Old 10-09-2006 | 01:08 PM
Luscious Luke

Originally Posted by hunter6
I got a good laugh out of that, thanks! Great to hear there is no drone on the highway. I'll tell you what, no drone is a great thing. Now if someone can just dyno the PO FOLK. If it makes any power it's going to be an interesting choice for those that think it sucks to pay 1k for an exhaust system. By the way, do you save any weight by going with PO FOLK?

P.S. You should patent "PO FOLK"
I would take it to Dyno, but thats the reason I'm on Team Po Folk, I don't have the money for the dyno run. LOL.

As far as weight goes, the new piping is definitely lighter than the stock muffler. Possibly 15 to 20 pounds lighter, but thats not much of a difference when it comes to weight reduction. Oh well.

"Team Po Folks," patent pending......LOL.
Old 10-09-2006 | 01:59 PM
smokedout350z

Originally Posted by Luscious Luke
I would take it to Dyno, but thats the reason I'm on Team Po Folk, I don't have the money for the dyno run. LOL.

As far as weight goes, the new piping is definitely lighter than the stock muffler. Possibly 15 to 20 pounds lighter, but thats not much of a difference when it comes to weight reduction. Oh well.

"Team Po Folks," patent pending......LOL.
lol
Old 10-09-2006 | 04:08 PM
smokedout350z

where's sbt been hiding out?
Old 10-10-2006 | 03:28 AM
SBT

traveling like a ******** for work...but im at a computer now

as i have stated already, i dynoed the car, but the dyno wasn't working properly. I don't think there is a gain or loss. the best way to go, i feel, is to find another Z, and do a 3rd gear pull on the highway from 2000rpm to redline. that will be a good indicator as long as the drivers arent 100lbs and 300lbs respectively.

as for drone, it depends on the rpm you are at (and therefore speed). the lower rpms produce the most "drone", however there are a lot of cars out there that produce worse droning. whatever you want to call it, it's not annoying. cruising around town (lower rpm) can get to be the loudest (aside from WOT). the exhaust note really shines just past 4000rpm under load...i can't explain what it sounds like other than a goddamn banshee.

on the highway, if youre going 70, youll never hear it (in 6th). going 80, you'll hear it a little more, going 90...it is very noticeable, but when youre going 90 its not by accident.

we should start a fundraiser for this thing. if everyone who ever looked at this thread and was curious as to dyno results paid $1 contribution, we could've bought this modification, an HKS hi-power, AND paid for the dyno of both compared to stock.

ill tell you right now...even if its not my car being tested, i toss $5 out there to whoever is going to do it.

SIDE NOTE: My friend does have a dyno and i can find out if its working now. in that event, i could probably get a pretty good deal on a few runs. id like to do:

1) stock exhaust
2) stock muffler removed
3) my axle-back setup

if anything, i think a setup like luke's might make an extra hp or two over mine due to the better construction of his Y-section

IF YOURE CURIOUS, GET OUT AND SEE ONE OF OUR CARS.
Old 10-10-2006 | 07:56 AM
Luscious Luke

You know, I think I may just have to make a run over to the Dyno at the old Scotts Performance Place in Santa Clara. They have my HP and TQ numbers in the computer from when my car was bone stock, then swapped out the stock intake with the Jim Wolf intake and redynoed it. Made another 6 passes and got 6 hp out of it. With that said, now, anything above that would point to the exhaust mod I just did since that is the only mod Ive done since the intake. Let me see if the new owners can cut me a break on some dyno time and I will get back to you guys. I really wanna see what this thing does.
Old 10-11-2006 | 02:07 PM
SBT

sounds like a plan

what were your stock numbers and what were your intake numbers? was it the popcharger?
Old 10-11-2006 | 02:14 PM
Luscious Luke

Originally Posted by SBT
sounds like a plan

what were your stock numbers and what were your intake numbers? was it the popcharger?
I can't quite remember my stock numbers but they were a bit lower than stock simply because I was running much heavier and bigger rims than stock. I had 20's on when I dynoed it. The motor only had about 3000 miles on it too so it wasn't quite broken in yet. Bearings were still a bit tight. I know after the popcharger was installed (Thats what Jim Wolf calls their intakes) I picked up 6 more HP. Small gain, but for the price ($120) installed, I couldn't pass it up. It also made it sound allot better under the hood.

I will get a print out of my stock numbers when I get a chance to get back over there. They still have it stored in the computer.
Old 10-11-2006 | 06:05 PM
jreiter

Originally Posted by SBT
on the highway, if youre going 70, youll never hear it (in 6th). going 80, you'll hear it a little more, going 90...it is very noticeable, but when youre going 90 its not by accident.
This is the part that intrigues me. Around town, I'm okay with loud. At full throttle and when driving hard, I'm okay with loud. When I'm on a long road trip cruising down the freeway, though, loud and droning is most definitely annoying. Are you saying it isn't any louder than stock when cruising at 70? (That'd be very surprising!)

Quick Reply: Removed Stock Muffler...My Thoughts