Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Heat Wrap/ insulate the intake tube?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 02:21 PM
chamois

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat Wrap/ insulate the intake tube?

Just wondering if anyone has tried this or has any ideas about it. Wrapping my CAI tube in some sort of heat wrap type thing. could reduce intake temp and hp a little? what do you think?
Old 02-11-2008, 02:36 PM
05Z33

I have been giving thought to the same thing. I noticed that my intake pipe get pretty hot after driving only 35 miles to work. When the stock exhaust manifolds were replaced with headers I lost the heat shields. I'll have to either install custom heat shields or wrap my intake tube which would probably be easier.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:39 PM
chamois

bump
Old 02-12-2008, 02:11 AM
onyxaltezza

Wrapping your intake will do nothing but TRAP hot temps from the piping. It will not help dissipate it, nor will it keep it from getting hot. Heatwrap is used on headers/exh manifolds, downpipes, turbos(turbo blanket), and other exhaust parts to keep the heat in. This helps with air flowing out the exhaust more effectively due to high temps. Causing these high temps will also aid in quicker spool of turbo.

Dont bother heatwrapping your intake/pipes, simply put.

-Aaron
Old 02-12-2008, 04:10 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onyxaltezza
Wrapping your intake will do nothing but TRAP hot temps from the piping. It will not help dissipate it, nor will it keep it from getting hot. Heatwrap is used on headers/exh manifolds, downpipes, turbos(turbo blanket), and other exhaust parts to keep the heat in. This helps with air flowing out the exhaust more effectively due to high temps. Causing these high temps will also aid in quicker spool of turbo.

Dont bother heatwrapping your intake/pipes, simply put.

-Aaron
I would have to disagree with you on this. Heat wrap on the intake tube is generally used reflect radiant heat from engine bay components. If an aluminum intake tube and the air inside it is cooler than the temperature in the engine bay I would be interested in the idea of it somehow dissipating heat. That would seem to be a conductive situation due to the delta in temperature that is generally seen.

IMO, putting gold/silver reflective wrap around the bottom half of the tube definitely has some merit to it, especially since that is going to be the main area for header heat.

Now, in that case that you used header wrap on your intake pipe that would be a different story. Radiant heat reflective wrap is what you are looking for.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:13 AM
Quamen

Que Alberto.....
Old 02-12-2008, 05:21 AM
taurran

If it's an aluminum tube, closer to the motor it will conduct heat from psychical contact with the throttle body and contact with any brackets that connect to the motor, not the ambient engine bay heat. Further down toward the filter, the air flowing through the bumper and around, and through the pipe will be sufficient to keep it cool.

That means that wrap closer to the throttle body will do nothing for the heat of the pipe, as it's in physical contact with hot engine block/components, and further down it will actually hamper the ability of the fresh air to cool the piping.

In short, you'll only be successful in making your engine bay look messy. And, really, if it did for some reason provide any sort of cooling effect on the intake charge, the gains would be so minimal, especially on an NA car, that it wouldn't be worth the trouble or the look under the hood.

In short, I say it's a waste of time and effort unless you've got a hot turbo in there, and then I would recommend a blanket and powder coat.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:23 AM
Motormouth
Banned

I have seen it done and it looked great.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:54 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard that CF tubes run even cooler than the factory ABS plastic tube. Dunno how true that is though...
Old 02-12-2008, 06:18 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Wrap on the intake has limited effect but it does make a difference for some applications.

I have it on my car because I have to.

I've noticed while on the dyno the intake temps increased over time. I found it was due to heating of the MAF housing and the back side of the stock air box.

At idle, between dyno pulls, the radiant heat would increase air intake temperatures by ~20'F. 20'F is a lot! It would heat up the entire intake tract and MAF sensor. And when I did the dyno pull, it would take several seconds for the MAF sensor to cool down... but by then it was too late.

The ECU adjusts spark timing based on air intake temperature. Consequently HP is directly affected by timing AND air temperature (IE air density).

And this was all because of heat soak between dyno pulls. It would cause dyno results to go down by 5-10 HP as the air intake system became heat soaked.

For the purposes of R&D dyno testing of air intake and exhaust modifications, the heat soak would throw off the accuracy of pre/post dyno testing, so I simply had to eliminate the heat soak.

I wraped the air intake and it helped stabilize temperatures and dyno results quite a bit.

It was exactly what I needed.

On the road, it won't make too much of a difference for continuous driving but it will help at the 1/4 mile track or any situation where you need to sit at idle for a length of time before launching.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:27 AM
BrazenZ

IF you have a CAI that is pulling cold air from outiside the engine bay at a fairly large volume. Yes, contact points will pull in some heat (ie throttle bodies, braces) but the bottom line, keeping the air cooler into the pleneum should improve performance. I reflective and heat insulatied cover or wrap should help at least marginally.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:40 AM
gothchick

Here's how Alberto did his with reflective wrap..... I'm thinking of doing the same, except I might use a reflective wrap over traditional header wrap.
Attached Thumbnails Heat Wrap/ insulate the intake tube?-rd12009medium-1-.jpg  

Last edited by gothchick; 02-12-2008 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:02 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by chamois
Just wondering if anyone has tried this or has any ideas about it. Wrapping my CAI tube in some sort of heat wrap type thing. could reduce intake temp and hp a little? what do you think?

I did this and it did help lower the temps on my G35's intake temperature. I bought the stuff from Summit, it was pretty good stuff and looked nice.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:07 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by gothchick
Here's how Alberto did his with reflective wrap..... I'm thinking of doing the same, except I might use a reflective wrap over traditional header wrap.
Sadly this won't help at all. It needs to have thermal properties. Here is the wrap I used and it worked perfectly.

I think this is the stuff. I have the link at home and not here.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 02-12-2008, 07:07 AM
chamois

Thanks for the input. I found a website that said for every 11 deg. F the temp. drops you gain 1% in power. not huge gains maybe 2-4 hp but by using a $15 reflective tape or something from a hardware store it might help out a little bit. and the pic gothchic put up doesnt look to bad.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:14 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chamois
Thanks for the input. I found a website that said for every 11 deg. F the temp. drops you gain 1% in power. not huge gains maybe 2-4 hp but by using a $15 reflective tape or something from a hardware store it might help out a little bit. and the pic gothchic put up doesnt look to bad.
Yes, 11 deg F = 1HP
And that only takes into account air density... If its air temperature as seen by the MAF, it makes even more of a difference.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:19 AM
gothchick

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
I think this is the stuff. I have the link at home and not here.

This looks perfect! Thanks for the link~ :-)

I was thinking this one might provide better coverage (4" x 10ft), and isn't that much more expensive...

Last edited by gothchick; 02-12-2008 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:32 AM
T_K

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
On the road, it won't make too much of a difference for continuous driving but it will help at the 1/4 mile track or any situation where you need to sit at idle for a length of time before launching.
Wouldn't just holding a constant rev before launching replicate the cooling effect on the MAF from air flow?

TK
Old 02-12-2008, 07:34 AM
gothchick

Originally Posted by T_K
Wouldn't just holding a constant rev before launching replicate the cooling effect on the MAF from air flow?

TK
It would, but I doubt it will be enough to compensate for the fact that there isn't any air moving through the engine bay.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:37 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by gothchick
This looks perfect! Thanks for the link~ :-)

I was thinking this one might provide better coverage (4" x 10ft), and isn't that much more expensive...

Before you purchase let me get the right link tonight at the house. I won't be home till after 9 though. The pieces I got were much bigger than that.

Quick Reply: Heat Wrap/ insulate the intake tube?