Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Motordyne XYZ-Pipe (Pilot Production)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 02:51 PM
turborevdboy11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can't wait to hear mine with berk hfc's...Tony sounds awesome! Job well done sir!
Old 08-10-2008, 06:54 PM
scmtkings4

gino....any updates?
Old 08-10-2008, 08:00 PM
ginobetterfly

Originally Posted by scmtkings4
gino....any updates?
we finished it today and shot LOTS of videos...

your gonna get everything.. the nismo with the XYZ with straight and the XYZ with resonator... we got take offs, fly-bys, in cab with windows down/up... everything...

there's still rasp* with the non resonated test pipes... but its much much better with the resonator and its not even that bad.. its actually kind of growing on me... the rasp only comes on in the first and second gear above 4000 rpm... otherwise the sound is amazing... i love it! if it wasnt for emissions laws i might want to keep the TPs... i will however be getting the 2.5" HFCs when they come out and i am 99% certain that the resonator will clean up ANY rasp that the HFCs give the nismo...

the videos will be posted soon (they are not on my camera), but im thinking i want to shoot a couple more myself to show the rasp-free, sound bliss that you experience when you are just cruizing around town... its amazing.... (the videos you will see are all shot at high rpm ranges and there will be some rasp heard)

im gonna give it a couple of more days of driving around and then report back regarding the gains i experience....

oh and if anyone local wants to listen to my system live as it is now and even get a ride, just shoot me a PM... cause believe me the videos will not do it justice...

*EDIT: So this morning i took a pretty spirited drive to work, and for some reason i cant really hear the rasp any more. Tony mentioned something about how the brand new resonator needed to "break-in", something about the packing of it, and i think the driving while videoing plus the 20 miles i drove home and more driving last night and this morning did just that... im borderline happy haha it really sounds good now, i think we might need more videos...

Last edited by ginobetterfly; 08-11-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:10 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by plumpzz
just waiting for a call back...
PLUMPZZ.

Have you heard anything back yet?
Tracking number shows it was delivered on the 8th and is good to go.

Lets get this dynod!

Last edited by Hydrazine; 08-11-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:28 AM
ginobetterfly

oh yeah, and i def feel better acceleration and throttle response, ESPECIALLY at freeway speeds.. it pulls much harder now... down low its not as noticable, but i still believe i gained all across the range.. definetely no losses... (atleast this is what my butt dyno tells me)
Old 08-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Thermal1

I'm excited, I got one on the way now...should be installed friday!
Old 08-11-2008, 11:02 AM
skaterbasist

All im interested to see is if this exhaust gives gains over other aftermarket exhausts.

So, someone hurry up and do a before & after dyno with exhaust like the Fast Intentions/HKS/Stillen against the Motordyne

Old 08-11-2008, 11:13 AM
scmtkings4

Originally Posted by ginobetterfly
oh yeah, and i def feel better acceleration and throttle response, ESPECIALLY at freeway speeds.. it pulls much harder now... down low its not as noticable, but i still believe i gained all across the range.. definetely no losses... (atleast this is what my butt dyno tells me)

ok before i see the videos i would like to ask you this (as it might be hard to tell from videos). how was the rasp with the xyz and straight? But more importantly, how about the volume?

did you hear your car when it was with test pipes and nismo ypipe/JIC (whichever you have)? If you did then you can compare it with sound after you put in the xyz + straight? Did it get louder?

reason im asking is because im hoping that the xyz + straight increases volume over my nismo y pipe. I have hfc btw

Last edited by scmtkings4; 08-11-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Boba

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IT's FINALLY being released!

I'm quite confused right now though, especially with the first post. So basically, how many parts of the catback are you releasing? I see the obvious Shockwave rear end (this is the single exit pipe right?), but aside from that, I'm kind of confused on whether this is a whole system that acts as a HFC and TP, or if you are releasing a separate XYZ HFC and XYZ TP? Also, dual tips are being prototyped as of this moment right? Also, there is the Shockwave VQ muffler, will that go before the Shockwave rear end?
Old 08-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Boba
IT's FINALLY being released!

I'm quite confused right now though, especially with the first post. So basically, how many parts of the catback are you releasing? I see the obvious Shockwave rear end (this is the single exit pipe right?), but aside from that, I'm kind of confused on whether this is a whole system that acts as a HFC and TP, or if you are releasing a separate XYZ HFC and XYZ TP? Also, dual tips are being prototyped as of this moment right? Also, there is the Shockwave VQ muffler, will that go before the Shockwave rear end?
There are many different sections to hook up to the XYZ weather you want it to be single or dual.

When you choose a single exhaust, you have a wide range of modules you can choose from to build a Y-pipe to your application or taste.
Straight, resonated, catalytic converter, catalytic converter/resonator combo, venturi or cutout with diffuser.

Each has a different application.

When you chose a dual exhaust, you directly connect the dual midpipe section to the XYZ pipe. And there are different variations here too. And each has a different sound.

And weather you have the single or dual, there are different rear sections you can connect to the mid pipe.

Straight pipes with diffusers. Stainless mufflers with Ti tips. All titanium Harakiri mufflers. The VQ and others.

With all the different parts being interconnectable there are numerous sound possibilities.

And yes, many of the dual systems have been built and will be going on test vehicles this week. ...and in the beginning, they will be tested with both the Harakiri and Shockwave axleback sections.

Tony
Old 08-11-2008, 12:52 PM
ginobetterfly

ok before i see the videos i would like to ask you this (as it might be hard to tell from videos). how was the rasp with the xyz and straight? But more importantly, how about the volume?

did you hear your car when it was with test pipes and nismo ypipe/JIC (whichever you have)? If you did then you can compare it with sound after you put in the xyz + straight? Did it get louder?

reason im asking is because im hoping that the xyz + straight increases volume over my nismo y pipe. I have hfc btw
well it sounds like what you want is LOUD... if thats all you want just sell your nismo and buy the Shockwave and run it with your HFCs or get some TPs for SUPER loudness and aggressiveness and no rasp... i rode in tony's Z with the TPs and the Shockwave, its LOUD, aggresive and sounds great! although its not the sound that im looking for, but still great...

OR

sell the HFCs and pick up some TPs... sounds like you dont mind a little rasp, and ill let you be the judge for yourself after you see the videos (even though the videos will NOT do this justice), but i think you would really like my current setup... its loud and aggressive, but not obnoxiously so, and it does not drone at all on the highway... its a shame your not local, cause i would love to show it to you and have you listen to it in person...

if your set on keeping your nismo and HFCs, and dont care about rasp, just leave the y-pipe in there and dont do anything.. i could be wrong, but im almost 100% sure that swaping in the XYZ pipe with straight, venturi or the resonator will not increase the volume.. in fact, the resonator will probably quiet it down some as it smooths out the sound... (bottom line: in MY opinion, with what you have now, getting the XYZ pipe to only increase VOLUME would be a waste of money)

also, and you might be a bit upset, the only video we got with the XYZ and straight section was just me reving it while standing still, in fact the car was still on jack stands... the reason for this is because we started to run out of time, and if we took it out again to the canyon to shoot real videos, it would have been another couple of hours (getting there, shooting, getting back, putting the car back in the air, waiting for the pipes to cool, taking off the straight section, etc, etc.)... even without shooting with the straight section, it still took about 4-5 hours total for the swaps, videos, etc.

then there's another factor... if you want more gains (in performance), i would def recommend getting the XYZ... tony optimized the gains of this y-pipe by making the merge collector much higher than the nismo y-pipe... this resulted in better performance gains that you can pretty much feel right away over the nismo or the stock y-pipe. i remember having lost some low end torque with the nismo y-pipe (when i had it a while ago).. i do not feel this with the XYZ... and as stated earlier, i also feel much better throttle response at freeway speeds...

i hope i answered your questions as clearly as possible and not confused you any further...

tony please correct me if im off on anything...

Last edited by ginobetterfly; 08-11-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:13 PM
scmtkings4

well it sounds like what you want is LOUD... if thats all you want just sell your nismo and buy the Shockwave and run it with your HFCs or get some TPs for SUPER loudness and aggressiveness and no rasp... i rode in tony's Z with the TPs and the Shockwave, its LOUD, aggresive and sounds great! although its not the sound that im looking for, but still great...

OR

sell the HFCs and pick up some TPs... sounds like you dont mind a little rasp, and ill let you be the judge for yourself after you see the videos (even though the videos will NOT do this justice), but i think you would really like my current setup... its loud and aggressive, but not obnoxiously so, and it does not drone at all on the highway... its a shame your not local, cause i would love to show it to you and have you listen to it in person...

if your set on keeping your nismo and HFCs, and dont care about rasp, just leave the y-pipe in there and dont do anything.. i could be wrong, but im almost 100% sure that swaping in the XYZ pipe with straight, venturi or the resonator will not increase the volume.. in fact, the resonator will probably quiet it down some as it smooths out the sound... (bottom line: in MY opinion, with what you have now, getting the XYZ pipe to only increase VOLUME would be a waste of money)

also, and you might be a bit upset, the only video we got with the XYZ and straight section was just me reving it while standing still, in fact the car was still on jack stands... the reason for this is because we started to run out of time, and if we took it out again to the canyon to shoot real videos, it would have been another couple of hours (getting there, shooting, getting back, putting the car back in the air, waiting for the pipes to cool, taking off the straight section, etc, etc.)... even without shooting with the straight section, it still took about 4-5 hours total for the swaps, videos, etc.

then there's another factor... if you want more gains (in performance), i would def recommend getting the XYZ... tony optimized the gains of this y-pipe by making the merge collector much higher than the nismo y-pipe... this resulted in better performance gains that you can pretty much feel right away over the nismo or the stock y-pipe. i remember having lost some low end torque with the nismo y-pipe (when i had it a while ago).. i do not feel this with the XYZ... and as stated earlier, i also feel much better throttle response at freeway speeds...

i hope i answered your questions as clearly as possible and not confused you any further...

tony please correct me if im off on anything...

yup, pretty much the answer i needed. thanks

and LOUD is not what i want. But what i do want is just a tad over what i currently have which is full nismo with berk hfc. A

nd it sucks that you said that the xyz might not make it louder, but what you said about the performance still intrigues me. Do you really think that the xyz helped with the performance that much? If you really believe so, then all i would need is the dyno sheets from the others to sway me. Ive beem looking to switch out the nismo y pipe any because of the crappy flex joints problem
Old 08-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

^+1
If you are only looking to increase volume with the XYZ and straight pipe, this won't do it.

You will need a new exhaust or test pipes (to a limited degree) to increase the volume.

The performance difference between the XYZ pipe and Nismo Y-pipe is a small bump in power with a healthier throttle response.

The difference in loudness is negligible.

The difference in possible configurations is of course much greater with the XYZ.

As for throttle response:
I would have never guessed it was something that could be felt until I test drove prototype Y-pipes that merged so far downstream that it severly wrecked the throttle response. Once I knew what the extremes felt like I was able to recognize smaller difference on the road and see how it all correlated on the dyno.

On the road and on the dyno it is the difference between ripple or lumpyness Vs smoothness. That's about the best way to describe it.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:47 PM
OldDirty Z33

We want dynos!!! haha
Old 08-11-2008, 01:57 PM
drive4fun

Originally Posted by OldDirty Z33
We want dynos!!! haha

+1 and some more sound/vid clips..

Would also like to hear the TI muffler set-ups. I'm also curious on how it will look.

I like to be heard but not be bothered by cops. From what I can hear on the video I like the sound of the shockwave. The only drawback is that I don't care much for the single exhaust. I like the symetrical look. Also I don't want to modify the bumper's cut-out.

What do you have available for me to achieve this type of set-up? Loud but not too loud... I don't mind a slight rasp at high RPM's.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:29 PM
ginobetterfly

yup, pretty much the answer i needed. thanks

and LOUD is not what i want. But what i do want is just a tad over what i currently have which is full nismo with berk hfc. A

nd it sucks that you said that the xyz might not make it louder, but what you said about the performance still intrigues me. Do you really think that the xyz helped with the performance that much? If you really believe so, then all i would need is the dyno sheets from the others to sway me. Ive beem looking to switch out the nismo y pipe any because of the crappy flex joints problem
the only other thing i can suggest to increase the volume of your exhaust if you are dead set on having nismo and berk hfcs, is to maybe switch over to the 2.5" Berk HFCs when they come out (now you have 60mm which is less than 2.5")... But then again, i have no idea if the 2.5" HFCs will be louder than 60mm HFCs... im guessing they would be, but im just guessing...
Old 08-11-2008, 02:31 PM
ginobetterfly

Originally Posted by drive4fun
+1 and some more sound/vid clips..

Would also like to hear the TI muffler set-ups. I'm also curious on how it will look.

I like to be heard but not be bothered by cops. From what I can hear on the video I like the sound of the shockwave. The only drawback is that I don't care much for the single exhaust. I like the symetrical look. Also I don't want to modify the bumper's cut-out.

What do you have available for me to achieve this type of set-up? Loud but not too loud... I don't mind a slight rasp at high RPM's.
Shockwave + TPs + on it = cops

Shockwave + TPs + cruizing/daily driving = probably not be bothered by cops

Shockwave + stock cats = not be bothered by cops
Old 08-11-2008, 02:42 PM
drive4fun

Shockwave + TPs + on it = cops

Shockwave + TPs + cruizing/daily driving = probably not be bothered by cops

Shockwave + stock cats = not be bothered by cops

That's pretty much what I assumed.. I want to keep the dual exhaust look...
Old 08-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

^I'll post pics of the dual shortly.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:26 PM
skaterbasist

I'm wondering how much louder the Shockwave + TP's are than the Fast Intentions + TP's. My friends can hear me coming a block away with just normal driving...and at WOT, its loud enough to get you pulled over by a police officer who is 2 blocks away from you (personal incident )

Quick Reply: Motordyne XYZ-Pipe (Pilot Production)