Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

JWT Pop Charger dyno results..

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 12:52 PM
Anthz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JWT Pop Charger dyno results..

Finally got a Mod. JWT Pop Charger w/heat shield for $95 From Performance Nissan. Here is the Dyno run I did yesterday (5th gear). It was at the same location I did my baseline (5,000 miles ago) at Colvin Automotive, Which uses a DynoJet. The first one was done with 3200 miles.

Baseline max HP= 233.5 / JWT popcharger max HP= 244.0
Baseline max torque= 232.7 / JWT popcharger max torque= 235.6

The enviromentals were pretty similar, actually better for the first run.

Intake air temp
= 51.9deg. (Baseline)
66.9deg. (JWT pop charger)

Absolute Barametric Pressure
= 29.70 in.Hg (Baseline)
29.66 in.Hg (JWT pop charger)

Dyno comming.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:01 PM
FLY BY Z

holy crap! 11 hp for 95 bucks? if that's real that's awesome. that is a better value than NO2 per dollar.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:03 PM
Anthz

Dyno
Attached Thumbnails JWT Pop Charger dyno results..-dyno3.jpg  
Old 12-17-2003, 01:07 PM
Anthz

I was happy with the results, I wish I could post a bigger pic. I cropped it pretty bad. The car does have 5000 more miles on it since the baseline, so some of the gain could be due to more break in. I also liked that I got and adverage of 5 ft/lbs of torque gain from 2400 to 3500 rpm.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:22 PM
FLY BY Z

Yeah well I just ordered my JWT intake from performancenissanparts.com
Old 12-17-2003, 03:59 PM
dnguyent

I installed the JWT pop charger last week. I can't really tell the difference in power, but I also believe my *** is a terrible dyno. It is definitely louder at WOT though!!!

Upon inspection of the JWT setup, I do have a few questions regarding the dyno results. Are the dyno runs done with the hood up or down? If the hood is up, then there is a lot of ambient air available for intake because the intake is completely open (no box). Now if you close your hood down tight, isn't the incoming air coming from the engine compartment and the small opening at the front? It just still seems constrictive without cutting a opening at the bumper.

I hope that dyno was run with the hood shut. I've never seen a dyno run before, so forgive me if my questions sound stupid.

Mossy Performance did a dyno run too, and they increased whp by 6.5. I don't know if they ran it with an open hood or not.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:22 PM
Anthz

Yes, hood up. Has to be I'm assuming for the Cable (sensor) to be attached to sync the dyno to the car's rpm. ( can't remember the name ) Yes there is extra air with the hood up, but there is also no air being forced into the filter, like there would be at speed. You can look at it either way. I chose the Pop Charger, because of the price, JWT reputation, and there is no risk of getting water getting sucked into the filter like there can be with a CAI. I was expecting around 6hp, the 10.5 hp was nice surprise.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:36 PM
Phatmitzu

NICE!
Old 12-17-2003, 07:37 PM
Xeinth

Nissan Performance Mag also got 6HP.

The JWT seems to be the only intake mod that might/does help.

X
Old 12-17-2003, 08:09 PM
orhanz33

so you gained HP? i thought people used to lose HP? i'm just real cautious ever since i found out Vortech had people on this forum bad-mouthing ATI to so that it could aid there sales....hope i didn't offend you....if the pop charger is for real (i hope) i can't wait to get one!
Old 12-17-2003, 08:10 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, a few more of these tests and I that is my next mod.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:24 PM
FairladyZ

dyno with the hood closed, and see where your numbers go. All you will be sucking in is hot engine heat. With the hood open engine heat isnt a factor. Also you didnt dyno the same time. Break in miles could play a factor in your #'s, not to mention the correction factor of the dyno on the two given days.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:26 PM
Z8M

Originally posted by FairladyZ
dyno with the hood closed, and see where your numbers go. All you will be sucking in is hot engine heat. With the hood open engine heat isnt a factor. Also you didnt dyno the same time. Break in miles could play a factor in your #'s, not to mention the correction factor of the dyno on the two given days.
Is it possible to dyno with the hood closed? I think this would be as close to "real life" application. With open hood, you are introducing more cool air along with greater surface area for the air to get to the popcharger. Do you realy think you still get the same numbers with the hood closed? Certainly, you wouldn't drive your car with it open.
My 2c..
Old 12-17-2003, 09:32 PM
FLY BY Z

There is no stagnant air when you are driving in any part of the car. Do you think all that dirt in your engine bay just walks right in there? It's not that big of a deal. Plus, the filter sits right in front of the factory inlet. Air is forced through that inlet since it is the easiest escape from inside the front of the car. Yes it blows all over the place but that is the easiest to get through.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:00 PM
ElvishasaZ

Thumbs up

nice gain for small buck spent...looks worthwhile to me
Old 12-17-2003, 11:42 PM
Ak1nza

I will concur with the dyno results posted above and I don't even have a 350Z. I have an FX35 and I installed a 350Z tube and a JWT PopCharger. Basically my set up is the same as yours then! The FX has a larger engine back so for those who believe engine heat is an issue then I suppose my popcharger 'should' be sucking in more hot air.

I can tell you that what I feel also corresponds with the dyno chart. Above 4000 RPM you really feel a difference compared to the stock FX airbox (which is similar to the G35 airbox).

The sound above 4000 RPM is a hoot to listen too also!

I wouldn't change to Injen, Nismo, or AEM now that I have the Popcharger!
Old 12-18-2003, 12:28 AM
350ZMotorsports

You cannot dyno a car with the hood closed. Doing 4th or 5th gear pulls with the car NOT MOVING does NOT simulate real world cooling and air flow. Fans are a minimal addition to a dyno to help move air. This is even more so on a turbo car or supercharged car with an intercooler in the front of the car. Do you think doing dyno pulls simulates air movement doing 4-5 gear pulls at 80-140mph? I don't think so... The best dyno results will be with fans that move large volumes of air.

The more important part of dyno tuning is consistancy between pulls. 5-10rwhp is not a lot but you have to have very consistant conditions for accurate comparisons. Corrected dyno numbers will be very consistant from dyno to dyno, or should be at least. Actual hp will vary quite a bit from place to place depending on conditions.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:40 AM
ZON

Now put on a duel Borla exhaust and see how she sounds under full throttle and 5000+ RPM along with that JWT. Freaking Wild!!!
Old 12-18-2003, 05:10 AM
Anthz

Thanks, Fly by Z and Throbbing. I am saving for some Random Tech Cats next. Hoping they will still show a good gain with the stock exhaust.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:54 AM
ZedZed

Does it go WOOOOOOO WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO???

Quick Reply: JWT Pop Charger dyno results..