Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Possible Z Recall??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 11:16 PM
S8ER95Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Z Recall??

I just saw something posted on LS1 about a possible recall for the rear bumper? Anyone aware of this?
Old 12-11-2002, 07:06 AM
Redline350

Unhappy This makes no sense whatsoever, but I just got it from a friend!!!

Nissan Recalls 350Z
Nissan has recalled all 2003 350Z for issues relating to the rear bumper. Early Wednesday, production of the 350Z was halted in Oppama, Japan. Rumors of the rear bumper deforming easily upon impact had been floating around the internet for a day.

“We are working to correct this unfortunate problem, and wish to extent out sincere apologies to all current and future 350Z owners.” spokesperson Sako Mako said in a press conference held on the 11th at Nissan’s Tokyo headquarters. Nissan is currently in negotiations with BMW AG in Munich to help fill the additional production capacity this entails.

It was stated by Sako that the price of next year’s 350Z will rise, “While the current 2003 model’s MSRP will not be affected by this, the 2004’s price will raise an average of $7,562 across the model line.” Rumors that Nissan may detune the VQ35DE in the 350Z to offset the price increase are as of now unconfirmed. Sources inside Nissan indicate it the QR25DE might find its way into the Z to replace the current car’s 3.5 liter V6, in additional efforts to lower the incurred costs of the new bumper.

A spokesman at BMW AG did not comment directly on the Nissan bumper recall, but did state that, “…BMW would entertain any bumper engineering contracts made by major automotive companies.”

This recall affects 2,349 350Zs produced through October of 2002 and December 2002.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:14 AM
ziscoming

This sounds like a lot of BS...just my .02

Old 12-11-2002, 07:19 AM
BigZ

Default BS!

That's total crap! Completely re-designing the Z with a new engine and going thru all the testing to replace 2000+ bumpers... YEAH Right!
Old 12-11-2002, 07:19 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that is totally made up! Sounds like someone is trying to have some fun at our expense!
Old 12-11-2002, 07:29 AM
Redline350

Like I said before, I really don't believe it, but it worries me, nevertheless!!!

And if it is true, I just keep my car and avoid being hit from behind!!! I sure don't want a 4 cylinder in my car, nor I would like to pay 7 grand more!!!
Old 12-11-2002, 07:42 AM
Boomer

Default recall

I don't buy this rumor at all, and Nissan is not going to raise the MSRP by over $7K. It would be a sure killer of the car, I wouldn't pay it, nor would anyone else with 1/2 of a brain.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:47 AM
Duck

Well I can attest first hand that the bumper is not defective. I got rear ended my pics are on here somewhere and the damage was fiting to the accident, there wasnt any extreme deformities or crap like that, its a good bumper. Now if there was a recall that would be good for me since I could get it replaced for free
Old 12-11-2002, 08:06 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

what a bunch of bs....
Old 12-11-2002, 08:08 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: This makes no sense whatsoever, but I just got it from a friend!!!

haha... You can't tell me people are believing this... hell, the following clause gives it away!

Sources inside Nissan indicate it the QR25DE might find its way into the Z to replace the current car’s 3.5 liter V6, in additional efforts to lower the incurred costs of the new bumper.
Hmmm... guess Nissan is going to have to find a way to make the Z perform better than the Spec V (which is less than 2800lbs.)...

I swear the internet make people dumber sometimes...
Old 12-11-2002, 08:34 AM
Old Skooler

I was thinking "********" as soon as I saw "Sako Mako"...and the BMW horsecrap confirmed it. Some ******* beamer freak is having fun with you.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:24 AM
abz123

Default Re: This makes no sense whatsoever, but I just got it from a friend!!!

Looks like a prank. 2349 vehicles? They could have done more research at least.

Nissan will not take kindly to this. People have been jailed for lesser stunts like releasing fake company press releases. I hope whoever made this up does not have an 'rear end that deforms easily' when they throw his a*s in jail.

Originally posted by Redline350
Nissan Recalls 350Z
Nissan has recalled all 2003 350Z for issues relating to the rear bumper. Early Wednesday, production of the 350Z was halted in Oppama, Japan. Rumors of the rear bumper deforming easily upon impact had been floating around the internet for a day.

“We are working to correct this unfortunate problem, and wish to extent out sincere apologies to all current and future 350Z owners.” spokesperson Sako Mako said in a press conference held on the 11th at Nissan’s Tokyo headquarters. Nissan is currently in negotiations with BMW AG in Munich to help fill the additional production capacity this entails.

It was stated by Sako that the price of next year’s 350Z will rise, “While the current 2003 model’s MSRP will not be affected by this, the 2004’s price will raise an average of $7,562 across the model line.” Rumors that Nissan may detune the VQ35DE in the 350Z to offset the price increase are as of now unconfirmed. Sources inside Nissan indicate it the QR25DE might find its way into the Z to replace the current car’s 3.5 liter V6, in additional efforts to lower the incurred costs of the new bumper.

A spokesman at BMW AG did not comment directly on the Nissan bumper recall, but did state that, “…BMW would entertain any bumper engineering contracts made by major automotive companies.”

This recall affects 2,349 350Zs produced through October of 2002 and December 2002.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:02 AM
WashUJon

Wow. He not only defrauded Nissan but BMW as well with that fake BS. That's at LEAST fraudulent... dumb...
Old 12-13-2002, 05:35 AM
onecoolee

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default My bumper looks like hell...

My rear bumper does not fit properly, and I attributed it to poor design. I didn't think there was any safety issues involved, so I am not totally sure that this is anything besides a rumor. I honestly don't think Nissan is going to redesign, the Z, or detune the engine, and throw away 5 years of engineering time. Being an engineer, I have my doubts that Nissan is throwing the towel in on the current Z design. As far as the price increase goes, I highly doubt that...it sounds like some dealer with a bunch of Z's priced at $4k over MSRP, is looking to sell his booty...just my .02

Anyways, my whole bumper, directly above the license plate is wavy. You can see this flaw from most lighting, and it actually looks like a warped piece of plastic that has been exposed to years of direct sunlight and heat, which usually leads to warping of this nature.

So ar all of my flaws are cosmetic, here is the lsit, so far:
1. Orange peel in paint
2. Hairs baked into the paint (2 locations)
3. Poor rear bumper fit (waviness above license plate)
4. Bose stereo BLOWS

I hope my issues remain cosmetic only, as I am very happy with the cars performance. All of this can obviously be fixed with some effort, but its not likely Nissan is going to do it...
Old 12-13-2002, 07:38 AM
WashUJon

Default Re: My bumper looks like hell...

Originally posted by onecoolee
My rear bumper does not fit properly, and I attributed it to poor design. I didn't think there was any safety issues involved, so I am not totally sure that this is anything besides a rumor. I honestly don't think Nissan is going to redesign, the Z, or detune the engine, and throw away 5 years of engineering time. Being an engineer, I have my doubts that Nissan is throwing the towel in on the current Z design. As far as the price increase goes, I highly doubt that...it sounds like some dealer with a bunch of Z's priced at $4k over MSRP, is looking to sell his booty...just my .02

Anyways, my whole bumper, directly above the license plate is wavy. You can see this flaw from most lighting, and it actually looks like a warped piece of plastic that has been exposed to years of direct sunlight and heat, which usually leads to warping of this nature.

So ar all of my flaws are cosmetic, here is the lsit, so far:
1. Orange peel in paint
2. Hairs baked into the paint (2 locations)
3. Poor rear bumper fit (waviness above license plate)
4. Bose stereo BLOWS

I hope my issues remain cosmetic only, as I am very happy with the cars performance. All of this can obviously be fixed with some effort, but its not likely Nissan is going to do it...
Why not? If you have real defects, get it taken care of.
Old 12-14-2002, 06:05 PM
zcar70

Angry B S

A bumper defect.....maybe
Contracting BMW for a fix.....not likely
Raising the price over 20% in one model year...NO WAY
De-tuning the VQ engine.....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another internet jackass prank
Old 12-24-2002, 11:12 AM
Omega350Z

ha ha, my bumper looks fine, and i dont know ANY vehicle that has a rear bumper that will NOT deform upon impact! I say they should forego the rear bumper completely and tune UP the engine with the extra 7 grand!!!!!! I would be more then willing to buy myself a bumper and have it painted as a trade off for a more powerful drivetrain setup.