Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Window Motor Repair (replace motor brushes?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 12:54 PM
kj301

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Integrity
Just installed the two remanufactored motors I got from Autozone. Windows work great now. I ran into a problem with a bolt snapping and I had to drill and tap the bolt body out. I believe the window tracks are made out of aluminum and its very easy to cross thread a bolt into them without knowing so be careful on your reinstalls.

Just an afterthought. Everyone who's doing this repair, are you taking your door apart with the window in the up or down position? When I cleaned the motors I had the window in the up position and it was a PITA getting the door back together. Today when I put the new motors in, I left the driver side in the down position and it was a hell of a lot easier putting everything back together, especially if you're working by yourself.
I had better luck with the window in the somewhat up postion, that way I could grab the window with one hand and line up the screws. I also striped the treads on the 3 motor mount holes, I just placed 3 nuts on the back of the screws to tighten the motor down. So be careful with that.

KJ
Old 08-30-2006, 12:59 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the offer. Much appreciated.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:51 PM
harrieyu

subscribing
Old 08-31-2006, 10:47 AM
jvega

Are the window regulators and the motors one and the same?
Old 08-31-2006, 11:25 AM
Zakira

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidv

A new window motor installed will cost about $454.

I feel better now. I just paid my mechanic (not dealer) like $320 to have a new motor put in (I can't do it myself cause my right hand's crippled). The part's about the same price but the labor was much cheaper.

Aside from poor motor design, do you guys think that the windows rolling up and down with the door opening/closing may be causing premature wear? or buildup of crap or whatever within the motor?
Old 08-31-2006, 11:47 AM
Gerry

Originally Posted by Zakira
I feel better now. I just paid my mechanic (not dealer) like $320 to have a new motor put in (I can't do it myself cause my right hand's crippled). The part's about the same price but the labor was much cheaper.

Aside from poor motor design, do you guys think that the windows rolling up and down with the door opening/closing may be causing premature wear? or buildup of crap or whatever within the motor?
I would say that by the windows moving up and down always contacting that one area on the armature cant be good. you are probably correct!
Old 08-31-2006, 07:20 PM
kj301

Yes the window going up and down (with the door) causes the motor brushes too wear faster. I don't know if anyone played with the motor at all but the gearing makes the coil spin several times to even notice that the hex connector is even moving.

Kevin
Old 09-05-2006, 01:53 PM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tlewis
I tried the cleaning method and it worked for about a week. I finally broke down and bought a new motor. I bought the one from Autozone for $145. The good thing is that the AZ one comes with a lifetime warranty.

It took about 30 mins to remove the old one and install the new one. Everything works just like new!
where did you hear about the lifetime warranty on AZ parts? on their website they claim to have a 90 day limited warranty and that's it....
Old 09-10-2006, 10:09 AM
JS04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried cleaning the motor last week. It worked for about a min. Then when I let the window half way down it wouldn't come back up. Oh well, my dad going to take the car to a nissan dealership down south, close to where he's stationed and have them fix both motors.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Gerry

I fixed mine a couple weeks ago, but I had it replaced the other day under warranty anyways since I only had a week of warranty left. Im sure its only a matter of time before the passenger one goes
Old 09-10-2006, 06:08 PM
Ichigo

I had the dealer take care of the problem once. I know they didnt clean the motor or replace it, they just reset it. So I performed the procedure tonight in about an hour and half. I still had to perform the reset when I was finished. Just in case anyone needs this here is the reset procedure.
I used brake cleaner to clean the motor, it worked really good. Q-tips helped.
I'll see how long this lasts...

If it helps anyone do this with the windows down, when you go re-attach the window tracks to the inner door panel, use the studs at the bottom (the ones that have nuts), then line up your holes for the top two bolts that hold the track. Once they are lined up, tighten the nuts at the bottom and you should be able to get your bolts in on the top.
Attached Thumbnails Window Motor Repair (replace motor brushes?)-04089-1.gif   Window Motor Repair (replace motor brushes?)-04089-2.gif  
Old 09-10-2006, 06:58 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakira

$454 is not chump change. But the work is guaranteed for 12 months/12,000 miles.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:36 PM
zedsled

I can't belive i just now found this thread. I have been putting off getting a new motor because of the cost but if this works then I am all for it.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:54 PM
bizcotch

this must be one of the best threads on this forum. Had both window motors replaced under warranty within 25000 miles. Have not had a problem since however i know it will be sometime in the future. Thanks guys for the great pictures and intructions.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:17 PM
SSJVegita

quick questions guys.....is this the motors to buy to replace them??? and can i order two of them or are they different depending on which im replacing?? or are they universal...meaning it doesnt matter if i need a passenger or a driver side motor...it is the same part??? here is the link

http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker...%7ENONE%7C%7EV
Old 09-14-2006, 03:45 PM
jvega

Nissan websites have them separate and cost a different price each. I think passenger is a few bucks more than driver side motor.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:44 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

had mine replaced today for free
Old 09-14-2006, 05:54 PM
videoengineer

Hey doug a couple of questions were you in or out of warrenty, how many miles do you have and how long you have the car.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:27 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

i bought an extended warranty to 100k (boy am i happy)..

i bought the car with 25,000 miles... i am at 48,400 now .. had the car since Sept 2005
Old 09-25-2006, 01:57 PM
gtmule

This guy I know said:

so, from the Autozone site, it looks like the motors are the same, left to right. Seeing how many times I've gotten screwed at Autozone, I wouldn't feel all that bad buying one when my passenger side stopped responding to cleaning, then...the when the drivers stops: getting a warranty "replacement" for the "passenger side" if you catch my drift.

^^^ I didn't say that, it was this guy I know.....

Quick Reply: Window Motor Repair (replace motor brushes?)