Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Reusable Oil Filters - any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 12:42 PM
ZilvahZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reusable Oil Filters - any thoughts?

I've been doing some research on oil filters and found the OEM filter is exactly that...standard. The high performance oil filters like K&N, Power Enterprise, etc..filters out garbage even more than the OEM filters down to 50 microns. What was disturbing to me was there's a by-pass mechanism that allows dirty oil to pass through in the event that the oil pressure exceeds a certain PSI. The standard OEM filter's by-pass is 11 PSI. I'm thinking the other filters are similar if not has a higher PSI by-pass point.

Now there's a reusable stainless steel oil filter similar to one's that are used on motorcycles that filters down to 35 microns and is "washable". This all seems pretty nice since it's environmentally correct and....since it filters better and more efficiently oil changes can be extended to 7000 miles instead of 3500 miles. Here's a link to Ultra Filter for more info on the oil filter: http://www.hopupracing.com/troilfiing35.html

I'm thinking this is pretty good as I'll be doing my own oil changes. Any thoughts on this????
Old 02-05-2006, 03:18 PM
PapaTango

Originally Posted by ZilvahZ
I've been doing some research on oil filters and found the OEM filter is exactly that...standard. The high performance oil filters like K&N, Power Enterprise, etc..filters out garbage even more than the OEM filters down to 50 microns. What was disturbing to me was there's a by-pass mechanism that allows dirty oil to pass through in the event that the oil pressure exceeds a certain PSI. The standard OEM filter's by-pass is 11 PSI. I'm thinking the other filters are similar if not has a higher PSI by-pass point.

Now there's a reusable stainless steel oil filter similar to one's that are used on motorcycles that filters down to 35 microns and is "washable". This all seems pretty nice since it's environmentally correct and....since it filters better and more efficiently oil changes can be extended to 7000 miles instead of 3500 miles. Here's a link to Ultra Filter for more info on the oil filter: http://www.hopupracing.com/troilfiing35.html

I'm thinking this is pretty good as I'll be doing my own oil changes. Any thoughts on this????
Sounds like more trouble than its worth. You take off the old filter, spin on a new filter, and dispose of the used oil and old filter. How much easier could it get? Plus, the $100 you'll spend on this reusable filter would pay for a couple of years worth of disposable oil filters.

I didn't see exactly how you are supposed to clean the filter. If it's anything like washable air filters, you're gonna have to wait for the thing to dry before you can slap it back together and put it on the car. Time wasted, IMHO.

BTW, this is the first time I've ever seen a claim of a 5-6 HP gain from an oil filter. Statements like that make me suspicious of the rest of their performance claims.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:45 PM
zzz350

Originally Posted by PapaTango
Sounds like more trouble than its worth. You take off the old filter, spin on a new filter, and dispose of the used oil and old filter. How much easier could it get? Plus, the $100 you'll spend on this reusable filter would pay for a couple of years worth of disposable oil filters.

I didn't see exactly how you are supposed to clean the filter. If it's anything like washable air filters, you're gonna have to wait for the thing to dry before you can slap it back together and put it on the car. Time wasted, IMHO.

BTW, this is the first time I've ever seen a claim of a 5-6 HP gain from an oil filter. Statements like that make me suspicious of the rest of their performance claims.
Hey, I have some DOT 3 Brake Fluid that added 7 HP!!!
Old 02-06-2006, 08:24 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

I've used Canton Mecca filters for my Nissan GT cars in the past and they worked fine. Yes, they were a PITA to disassemble and clean, but the advantage was you could see what was getting trapped by the 50 micron filter and evaluate engine performance. But would I want to replumb my 350Z to use one? Not likely- I agree with PapaTango that it's more trouble than it's worth. Just give me a good, disposable filter and fresh oil every 3-4K and call it good.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:19 AM
ZilvahZ

LOL, I got some coolant that gives me 68 HP too!

Yeah the point of all this as dkmura pointed out is the amount of gunk collected in the filter and what is or isn't filtered when the by-pass mechanism is triggered. I was always lead to believe that a filter.."filters" out the cr*p and keeps the engine oil clean. But to hear that there's a by-pass valve that allows dirty oil to get back into the engine bugs me. Power Enterprise has a new 'disposable' filter that even has a magnet built into it for a mere $18. It too says it can filter down to 50 or whatever microns. This is why I'm bringing this subject up, some pay $6 for an OEM, $10 for a K & N, $18 for a Power Enterprise filter now it's getting a bit pricey and thought what if...

I understand that NASCAR race cars use them as well. Washing out the filter is like washing out an air filter only dif is it's smaller and made of stainless steel. So I guess if you're willing to put up with cleaning it out (I agree it may be a PITA) it might be the way to go?? I'm still not quite totally convinced yet guys, even though I may sound like it.

For the record, I don't believe you can get any HP gains from an oil filter but I do think you get cleaner oil.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:35 PM
SpeedRcr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can see what gets trapped by putting a mesh screen between the filter and car...they sell these screens in like packs of 10 for 20 bucks
Old 02-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-10-2006, 03:11 PM
captj3

Originally Posted by ZilvahZ

So what your saying is that the oem filter only work at idle. My oil pressure is never less than 15-20 psi and this is at idle when warm.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:24 PM
kennyb

No, the bypass only opens when the filter is so dirty that there is a 15psi drop going through it. It should never happen if the oil change recommendations are followed. If a filter did not have this bypass, when it became dirty enough it would eventually cut off all oil flowing through it and destroy the engine. Dirty oil is much prefered over no oil.