Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Nissan Recall on 52,400 350Z's

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 08:53 AM
cbasil
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay, well i made my app on monday, hopefully it won't take long to get my car back. did you guys have to pay for maintenance fees? also do they fill up your car or do they just give you the amount of gas that you had left when you came in with the gas light on. sorry for so many questions, but thanks to those who have answered!
Old 07-08-2007, 01:44 PM
marhot

Originally Posted by cbasil
okay, well i made my app on monday, hopefully it won't take long to get my car back.
It took my dealership about 3 hours. I waited.

did you guys have to pay for maintenance fees?
Huh? What fees are you referring?

also do they fill up your car or do they just give you the amount of gas that you had left when you came in with the gas light on.
LOL, they don't drain the tank and you're not going to get a tank of gas.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:11 PM
cbasil
Banned

from what one of the other dealerships told me, was that they needed my car to be on empty so they could drain the fuel tank and replace the hose. they also told me that it would take at least a day to get this done.

Last edited by cbasil; 07-08-2007 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:13 PM
marhot

Originally Posted by cbasil
from what one of the other dealerships told me, was that they needed my car to be on empty so they could drain the fuel tank and replace the hose. they also told me that it would take at least a day to get this done.
Ummmmmm...........

1. I did not have my tank 'empty'. IIRC the recall states it should be 1/4 full or less, they do not drain the tank.

2. I think the actual work is about 3 or 3.5 hours. They probably told you all day so it gives them plenty of time. When I went in, I was the first car in and they got right to work on it. I was out by mid-morning.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:10 PM
cbasil
Banned

ah i see, thanks for the info. hopefully i dont have to wait all day for my car lol.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:02 AM
cbasil
Banned

so yeah, it's going to take all day to have this recall done.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:06 PM
surfer05rdr

yeah all this is true the dealership replaced my entire gas tank and all the hoses cause of this recall, i have a 03 model Z
Old 01-02-2008, 07:25 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by surfer05rdr
yeah all this is true the dealership replaced my entire gas tank and all the hoses cause of this recall, i have a 03 model Z
Welcome to 6 months ago.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:59 PM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by NVS_350Z
...I am sorry to see you have so much problems with Nissan but I can say it is not the first time. The only Nissan made in japan 100% is the 350Z. All other Nissan are now made here in the states. Well 80% of the car is. Nissan in the past has not been very good with quality but they have improve from what I've seen.

I hope the 2007 Z has most of the kinks fix cause I do plan on getting another one!
^ 6 months later is right...not sure how I missed this one, but like hell the only Nissan made in Japan is the Z. The V35 Coupe was also made in the Tochigi Assembly Plant, as is the new G37 and the GT-R.

I'll send you a pic of my VIN plate if you doubt it. As for quality, I have a "Made in Tennesee" U13 first gen Altima (127k miles) and a B13, 1991 Sentra SE-R (136k miles), both made in the US, neither one has ever had a "quality" problem. The B13 had a single design flaw that allowed 5th gear to pop out but that was fixed back in 1997. Altima, just an air bag recall, not unexpected for a 1994-built car with first gen air bags. No quality issues or other TSB's of any kind with either car, and no recalls outside the air bag one.

I've had minimal problems with any Nissan prior to my 350Z, which had all the hallmarks of a "first off the line" car (Nov 2002). The G (Jan 2004) has been better, but not as good as I would expect for the money. My Z was only $27k MSRP, not $40k MSRP, so I'd allow a lot more issues like this stupid gas tank thing, clicking axles, greasy window streaks, rocking seat, etc. I'd hate to think how that car would feel after 13-16 years compared to my SE-R.

And another year later, the G Coupe has been pretty much trouble free, I still have it The motor in the G37 was tempting, but the mass was not - too heavy.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:30 PM
kcobean

Originally Posted by SteveZ
^ 6 months later is right...not sure how I missed this one, but like hell the only Nissan made in Japan is the Z. The V35 Coupe was also made in the Tochigi Assembly Plant, as is the new G37 and the GT-R.

I'll send you a pic of my VIN plate if you doubt it. As for quality, I have a "Made in Tennesee" U13 first gen Altima (127k miles) and a B13, 1991 Sentra SE-R (136k miles), both made in the US, neither one has ever had a "quality" problem. The B13 had a single design flaw that allowed 5th gear to pop out but that was fixed back in 1997. Altima, just an air bag recall, not unexpected for a 1994-built car with first gen air bags. No quality issues or other TSB's of any kind with either car, and no recalls outside the air bag one.

I've had minimal problems with any Nissan prior to my 350Z, which had all the hallmarks of a "first off the line" car (Nov 2002). The G (Jan 2004) has been better, but not as good as I would expect for the money. My Z was only $27k MSRP, not $40k MSRP, so I'd allow a lot more issues like this stupid gas tank thing, clicking axles, greasy window streaks, rocking seat, etc. I'd hate to think how that car would feel after 13-16 years compared to my SE-R.

And another year later, the G Coupe has been pretty much trouble free, I still have it The motor in the G37 was tempting, but the mass was not - too heavy.

Do you always autocross with your wipers on?
Old 01-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Bottled Water

i do. i turn them on full speed. it helps me concentrate.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:45 AM
SteveZ

Smile Wipers on = +5 whp

Originally Posted by kcobean
Do you always autocross with your wipers on?
Hehehe...only when I'm correcting from a power slide and slapping my hand into the stalk switch, but I did notice the rice-lies butt-dyno said +5 whp when they're on vs. off

Hard to see in that pic, but there's an "S" turn and the old Michies PS's worn down to the wear bars just weren't sticking for me that day, so I lost some time doing a R-L-R sequence with the rear end doing its best to come around on me. At least I didn't go OC, or run over the timing equipment

The G's a big car for AutoX with limited headroom for a 5'10" guy with a helmet on, kind of lousy visibility with the big pillars, I usually take this car, but it had a leaking rear brake line that weekend and was down for repair work:

Old 01-04-2008, 08:00 AM
kcobean

Hehehe...only when I'm correcting from a power slide and slapping my hand into the stalk switch, but I did notice the rice-lies butt-dyno said +5 whp when they're on vs. off

Hard to see in that pic, but there's an "S" turn and the old Michies PS's worn down to the wear bars just weren't sticking for me that day, so I lost some time doing a R-L-R sequence with the rear end doing its best to come around on me. At least I didn't go OC, or run over the timing equipment

The G's a big car for AutoX with limited headroom for a 5'10" guy with a helmet on, kind of lousy visibility with the big pillars, I usually take this car, but it had a leaking rear brake line that weekend and was down for repair work:

Do you always drive with one wheel off the ground? (Yes, I'm just being silly at this point.) AutoX is seriously fun stuff. Never done it in the Viper, but have had an opportunity to do it in a Crossfire SRT6 (ack!), and, of all things, a Jeep SRT8 one right after the other. The SRT8 Jeep did amazingly well for an SUV.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:25 AM
SteveZ

Do you always drive with one wheel off the ground? (Yes, I'm just being silly at this point.) AutoX is seriously fun stuff. Never done it in the Viper, but have had an opportunity to do it in a Crossfire SRT6 (ack!), and, of all things, a Jeep SRT8 one right after the other. The SRT8 Jeep did amazingly well for an SUV.
Hehehe...actually I think in that pic there's technically more than one wheel off the ground. It also does 2 just fine - see here

After watching Z06's I wonder how it would be with the Viper, probably even more impressive. I've run an autoX course in a few SUV's, the only one that impressed me at all was a Caddy AWD model with a V6, don't recall the model. Very smooth, drifted before diving and squealing, really surprising.

BUT - a guy near me has a new black SRT8, I was absolutely blown away by how well it handles. He was kind of following too close one morning, I turned onto a very twisty smoothly paved backroad on my way to work - driving the Black B13 which has essentially track/street suspension in that order, has pulled 0.96 g's on a skidpad - figured, "ha ha, last I'll see of that big thing" - dove into a RH turn hard enough to almost kiss the fender with the tire (that's very extreme with that car, 350 ft-lb springs up front on a 2400 lb car). Despite running a 35ish turn at about 70, there was the SRT8, 2 car lengths back and then right back on it. He was right there for another 2 miles through "S" turns, sharp DH off-camber turns, you name it.

I was so impressed watching that in my rearview I looked up the specs, and if I didn't already have my Dodge RAM 1500 Hemi, I'd have gone out to find one to drive. Besides, I really need the P/U more, but damn, that was one impressive ride - the handling is just not believable for a SUV that big until you see it.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:50 AM
kcobean

Hehehe...actually I think in that pic there's technically more than one wheel off the ground. It also does 2 just fine - see here

After watching Z06's I wonder how it would be with the Viper, probably even more impressive. I've run an autoX course in a few SUV's, the only one that impressed me at all was a Caddy AWD model with a V6, don't recall the model. Very smooth, drifted before diving and squealing, really surprising.

BUT - a guy near me has a new black SRT8, I was absolutely blown away by how well it handles. He was kind of following too close one morning, I turned onto a very twisty smoothly paved backroad on my way to work - driving the Black B13 which has essentially track/street suspension in that order, has pulled 0.96 g's on a skidpad - figured, "ha ha, last I'll see of that big thing" - dove into a RH turn hard enough to almost kiss the fender with the tire (that's very extreme with that car, 350 ft-lb springs up front on a 2400 lb car). Despite running a 35ish turn at about 70, there was the SRT8, 2 car lengths back and then right back on it. He was right there for another 2 miles through "S" turns, sharp DH off-camber turns, you name it.

I was so impressed watching that in my rearview I looked up the specs, and if I didn't already have my Dodge RAM 1500 Hemi, I'd have gone out to find one to drive. Besides, I really need the P/U more, but damn, that was one impressive ride - the handling is just not believable for a SUV that big until you see it.
That's awesome. The AWD and 425 BHP in the SRT8 is really a great combination. It was funny to watch the folks hop in the Jeep at the start line of the autox (it was a group event where our group time was recorded, including driver changes). They'd hit the gas, that thing would squat and go and their eyes would get REAL big because nobody expected an SUV to launch as hard as that thing did. A very impressive overall vehicle.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:57 PM
j.arnaldo
Banned

CR complains that there's no cut off for the pax side SRS! Where's it gonna come out of???!!! Can any expert/mechanic clarify, please?!
==Old-timer from Puerto Rico, in love with a Zed,
Old 03-28-2008, 06:21 PM
kcobean

Originally Posted by j.arnaldo
CR complains that there's no cut off for the pax side SRS! Where's it gonna come out of???!!! Can any expert/mechanic clarify, please?!
==Old-timer from Puerto Rico, in love with a Zed,
Are you asking about a disable switch for the passenger side airbag?
Old 05-13-2008, 03:57 AM
nashbe

I have Z and I instaled an alarm in the car and ever since nothing to the driver's door works. NO power windows, Door Locks, or the power mirrors. The passenger side does not work either. Did I smoke the BCM?
Old 05-13-2008, 05:49 AM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by nashbe
I have Z and I instaled an alarm in the car and ever since nothing to the driver's door works. NO power windows, Door Locks, or the power mirrors. The passenger side does not work either. Did I smoke the BCM?
Probably not but you may have bypassed the power lead or hot wire from the BCM for that side. Might have used a part of the fuse block for the alarm needed by BCM functions, too, and check all fuses.

see: https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/319273-new-window-problem.html

this problem isn't limited to Z's and G's, either:
http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/show...t=windows+down

HTH
Old 05-13-2008, 05:56 AM
SteveZ

Are you asking about a disable switch for the passenger side airbag?
I went through this with my '03, no airbag off switch for passenger (have 2 kids both under 12 at the time). Requested and received NHSTA permission to install (file a form, took a month or two). Dealer installed option with that permissions, was $250-$300 USD at the time. Nissan dealer will do it if you've filed for the right forms.

In PR you may be able to skip the NHSTA step, don't know.

Don't even think about trying to wire one up on your own, bad karma there.

Quick Reply: Nissan Recall on 52,400 350Z's