Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Nissan Recall on 52,400 350Z's

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 05:21 AM
NVS_350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think Nissan has a Reliability issue but a quality issue. There are cheap parts on every automotive car that is not high performance. As you can tell the Z and other Nissan brand does have cheap plastic piece that will eventually get loose and make noises (even Infiniti). Some problem are found even after extensive testing.

So It doesnt matter what car brand you buy you'll always end up with some sort of problem and you'll just have to find a way to deal with it. Honda/Toyota is not perfect either. My girls 03 celica had a couple recalls. One was the Gas tank filler wouldnt stop the gas when filling so it would over fill all the time so they had to replace the whole gas tank and they never bothered to give us a rented even though they kept the car for 3 days.

Trust me a lot of Dealer techs arent smart as you think. They usually dont give a rats *** about your car. If your car is nice and they can take it out for a testdrive they will. 5 miles driven by a punk tech at your dealership could mean 5 miles of anything.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:35 AM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by NVS_350Z
I dont think Nissan has a Reliability issue but a quality issue. There are cheap parts on every automotive car that is not high performance. As you can tell the Z and other Nissan brand does have cheap plastic piece that will eventually get loose and make noises (even Infiniti). Some problem are found even after extensive testing...

...they never bothered to give us a rented even though they kept the car for 3 days...
I find the difference with Infiniti is a) any overnight repairs automatically a loaner (M35 last time), it's on the window sticker, b) they are more accomodating to NVH issues and have excellent TSB's how to fix (ex: panel above rear passenger seat vibrates when stereo played higher volume). I also found my finance rate dropped two points with Infiniti vs. Nissan, suspect a lower risk pool as nothing in my profile had changed.

As I mentioned, I had a lot of TSB fixes on my 350Z. On my G, the seat does not rattle, there are no grease streaks on the windows, the front compression rod did not need replacement, the tires are just about worn out w/o abnormal wear ("feathering" problem), despite 200 lbs extra wt, the brakes did not need service until 30k miles, ... you get the idea. Someone paid a little more attention putting it together IMHO. Like my Z the axles clicked - no big deal, fixed with some lube by the dealer N/C.

The fuel hose issue is Materials Engineering, plain and simple - someone either spec'd it wrong, or suppliers did not supply spec tubing, but tubing deterioration is really easy to test to death and there's NO excuse other than skimping on lower quality tubing. I had to lose billable work hours and take my car in to have its ***-end ripped apart and hopefully put together right by some mechanic who would otherwise never touch half the parts he had to remove. NO excuse for this one.

Bottom line is any more of this sh*t, and these will be the last Nissan products I ever buy (other than maybe a used V32). AND, I won't be keeping them much past their current resale value.

Last edited by SteveZ; 10-16-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:50 PM
NVS_350Z

I can agree that with higher end luxury cars the engineers do a much better job of refining the car. I am sorry to see you have so much problems with Nissan but I can say it is not the first time. The only Nissan made in japan 100% is the 350Z. All other Nissan are now made here in the states. Well 80% of the car is. Nissan in the past has not been very good with quality but they have improve from what I've seen.

I hope the 2007 Z has most of the kinks fix cause I do plan on getting another one!

Last edited by NVS_350Z; 10-16-2006 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:18 PM
doc10374

Not all vehicles will be recalled. Call Nissan with your VIN handy and they will confirm whether or not your car is involved.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:57 AM
mapaqe

Default 350Z 03-04 tire wear problem

Does anyone know the exact problem under the 2003-2004 350Z tire wear problems?

I heard that the front suspension and toe angle may be the problem. In fact, once adjust (toe angle), the tire wear keeps showing off.

So I was wondering if any person had technical information (about an unproper design etc.)that could explain this malfunction.

Thanks
Old 10-23-2006, 07:24 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mapaqe
Does anyone know the exact problem under the 2003-2004 350Z tire wear problems?

I heard that the front suspension and toe angle may be the problem. In fact, once adjust (toe angle), the tire wear keeps showing off.

So I was wondering if any person had technical information (about an unproper design etc.)that could explain this malfunction.

Thanks
go here...https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/15758-tire-feathering-fyi.html...plenty of info for that one
Old 10-23-2006, 07:28 AM
mapaqe

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
go here...https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15758...plenty of info for that one
Thanks
Old 11-03-2006, 12:08 PM
VENGEANCE

Originally Posted by jakesford
When you are dealing with any mass produced product that contains thousands of moving and non-moving parts, that are made by numerous manufacturer around the world, problems will occur. The scale and seriousness is the only question. I remember the stories of the MKIV golf's and jetta's that had air bags that would randomly deploy for no reason. Some occured after hitting a pothole, while others happened while driving down the highway for no reason... There were numerous reports of this but VW wouldn't accept that there was a problem, and in the cases where the sudden deployment caused a wreck, VW would refuse to fix the car... On the same cars they had problems with the seat heaters burning people and starting fires as well.
Damn. You have got to be the SMARTEST guy on this whole discussion board. Share what you know with some of these clowns that think a car should be perfectly flawless from the time it rolls off the showroom floor until it ends up in the junkyard. The bottom line is the quality of cars that are coming out now is light years better than the garbage on wheels that was coming out in the 80's.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:58 PM
Takfire

Just had the fuel hoses replaced at Union City Nissan.
Seems OK, but today I noticed a metal clinking sound from the rear end when revving and as a result of vibration.
Looks like something is loose from the recall work.
Taking it back to Nissan on Wed to have them diagnose.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Takfire

Update.
Nissan claims that the problem was due to my previous aftermarket exhaust installation.
Althought there was not rattle before the hose warranty work.
The exhaust section prior to the muffler was found to come into contact with a bolt head which secures a metal plate and rubber bushings.
Sorry, I am not sure of the technical name for this part / section of the under body.

Looks like the exhaust was removed and not re-installed correctly.
After debating the issue with the service tech, the recommendation was to take the car back to Z1 Motorsports and have the exhaust adjusted.
BS!
Any suggestions on getting how to best handle?
Old 11-16-2006, 02:35 PM
NVS_350Z

if you asked me they should have fixed it. It isnt a big thing but I guess the tech probably thinks differ.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Takfire

Yea. That's what I thought as well.
It should be simple adjustment, but they refused.
I am a little aprehensive to escalate to the Nissan Service Director, as it may result in some harsh feelings and other problems.
I certainly do not want to complaint to the cook and later have my steak dropped on the floor.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Mr_Kebo

if i bought my z used can i still have the recalls fixed on my car. I bought it from a nissan dealership.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:07 PM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

yes
Old 06-05-2007, 01:13 PM
350fly

Default hey guys

hey guys.... any recalls concerning the 03Z.....???
Old 06-20-2007, 06:34 AM
chromesilverz

I relunctant to get this work done but I know I will eventually have to.

What are some early warning signs that the hoses are cracked? What happens if it does crack on you?

Are theses mainly having problems in areas with smog?
Old 06-20-2007, 09:15 AM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by chromesilverz
I relunctant to get this work done but I know I will eventually have to.

What are some early warning signs that the hoses are cracked? What happens if it does crack on you?

Are theses mainly having problems in areas with smog?
Unless you stick you head up under the tank area a lot on a lift you won't get any early warnings other than maybe the smell of gas. Worst case the hose cracks and you start at best spewing some vapor, at worst liquid in an area of the car where the exhaust isn't too far away.

It really wasn't so bad - just TAKE PHOTOS beforehand. I have two Brembo calipers with new nicks in them because when they were pulled off someone didn't bother to protect them with a shop rag, and also on the side showing they were not careful enough removing the wheels. No real big, but read the downside stories carefully - make damn sure you have some evidence of how your car looks before it goes in just in case it comes back with scratches in the back end, or part of the aero kit missing, etc.

Not too terrible, but yes, there's some risk. The actual number of problems reported is very small % but that should tell you there is some risk when Nissan recalls 10's of thousands of vehicles for some stupid hoses but a seriously large labor effort on their part to replace them - they don't want to be sued and someone decided there was a risk, or this would just have been a TSB.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:16 PM
cbasil
Banned

the guys at the kearny mesa nissan told me about this recall so i'm bringing my car in to have them replace it even though i barely have 23k miles on my car and its not leaking, anyone else have theres replace already?
Old 07-07-2007, 04:27 PM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by cbasil
the guys at the kearny mesa nissan told me about this recall so i'm bringing my car in to have them replace it even though i barely have 23k miles on my car and its not leaking, anyone else have theres replace already?
Yes at around 30k, this is one of those recalls IMHO where the very small percentage that actually would ever leak have just enough chance of lawsuit level problems that they just bit the bullet and put out the recall.

Far as I know mine never leaked, but I had to get the Axle Click TSB done anyway so they did both at once.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:57 PM
cwerdna

Originally Posted by cbasil
I had mine done long ago. I wouldn't want to wait until gas starts leaking.

Quick Reply: Nissan Recall on 52,400 350Z's