Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Service Engine Soon + VDC Off + Slip Lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:59 AM
BlackSpec02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scheduled to drop the car off at mossy nissan 1st thing in the AM. Hopefully they honor the recall.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:50 PM
web_creator

Hey guys, let me add my situation as it sounds similar and may give more insights (and I could use some...). Just posted this elsewhere in the site and thought I would copy it in...

Could use some insights on my car and hope that I can get some direction from you guys toward repairs. First, I am not a tech guy (I am a finance guy) so I am looking for direction in an area that has stumped both the dealer and a local repair guy as well. As a lead in, following a lot of reading of this sight, here are some things that will hopefully help with the guidance.

- Car is 2004 Roadster with auto transmission
- I am the second owner (bought it at Carmax with 12,000 miles on the odometer) and have owned it for close to four years now.
- I am told that there are NISMO mods to the exhaust, but do not know exactly what they are. Also told that there are apparently no other mods.
- Car has 35,000 miles on it.
- Tires are apparently stock and original (Potenza’s) and the front are still very high on tread availability and the rear set are in good shape as well, although there is noticeable tread wear there (nowhere near bald).
- At about 16,000 miles in August of 2006, the rear brakes started to jingle like mad and once I figured out it meant brake replacement , I replaced front rotors and rear calipers at the time (I told you I am not technical, and by the way, the Nissan dealer didn’t even tell me after a couple of looks. Took an independent repair shop…). No further replacements of brakes and no more jingling either.
- No other repairs or maintenance aside from oil changes, which I do with synthetic, 5W30
- I don’t know what a vdc is and don’t know if I have it (although one post said that the “slip light” means I probably do, but I have never seen a “vdc off” light), but I do have traction control and a TCS off button next to the convertible control at my left knee. I have not yet tried turning off TCS, but when it is reset this time I plan to do just that.

The car has developed a regular problem of going into permanent traction control lately. This problem is showing for the first time ever in my experience as of two months ago this week. It virtually always starts with a right turn and not at particularly high speed (perhaps 20 – 30 mph max). I will make a turn (not even pushing) and suddenly the TCS and the slip lights, along with check engine light, will light up and I lose all power. Still idles fine, but throttle pressure gets me about 5 mph and it won't even cross high speed bumps without a run at them (pretty embarrassing on the road when it first happened as you might imagine, being outrun by people walking...). Pull the key for a count of ten and it will restart just fine with only the check engine light showing still, although it tends to be more prone to going off with TCS/Slip lights again until the next "repair" round and will occasionally, until that next repair, go off again even without a right turn. It has never happened that I can recall on a left turn in the two months since this first started.

They have been working on this for two months now and I am ready to drive the thing off a cliff. Replaced all grounds, the throttle (twice!) and even the main computer (that took an act of God, whom I was certain was too busy by the way and heck, I should have saved that act for the actual repair request it appears...) and it just went another hour of driving over the weekend and did it again! The next stop is the transmission, but this is getting very frustrating as you might imagine.

It looks like others have gone through something similar, but not exactly (seems to me that most have run into this after wheel mods). So far neither Nissan, nor an independent repair guy who has a lot of experience with Nissans in general, can fix this problem and I am at wit's (not to mention idea's) end.

I have seen some conflicting ideas including gas pedal sensor problems (I think that was mentioned by the repair guy and replaced as well) and rear tire size (mine are stock though) and most of these posts are pretty old. So before I blow any more money on repairs, I thought I would get the best thinking on this.

As an aside, and all of you may know this, the 2004 350Z at least, apparently has an 8 year 80K mile warranty on the computer apparently (is that what is referred to as the ECM?). So if you have problems there, be sure you mention the warranty. Not sure it is a well known fact (but I am not technical…).

Any guidance I can give my repair guy to point him will be MUCH appreciated. If there are clarifications I need to provide, I will be happy to as well. This thing is really becoming a pain and I want my car back…
Old 05-26-2009, 07:57 PM
BlackSpec02

maybe something wrong with your diff. - ive never heard of the z just going into traction control before. Or it could be bad wiring somewhere...
Old 05-27-2009, 08:45 PM
BlackSpec02

Originally Posted by BlackSpec02
Scheduled to drop the car off at mossy nissan 1st thing in the AM. Hopefully they honor the recall.
So I dropped my Z off at the nissan dealer this morning. Apparently my VIN was not affected by the recall... my vin is 20XXX, so I thought it would be. They called and said it was done at lunch but when I showed up to pick it up, it threw the same code P0340 again and didnt want to start. They realized they changed my crank sensor and not the cam sensor... so they fixed it and I was able to return after work today to pick it up. When I got it after work it seemed like all was well... and I havent had any problems yet. (knocks on wood). I drove it about 30 miles since picking it up this evening. Cost $320. Time: 1 full day at the dealer.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Z03TRACK

Smile

Hey thanks for your help guys! I read the threads on here because my Z was doing the same thing. Took it to the STEALER and sure enough, it was the cam sensor. Cost me $269.14 and took them two hours... Not too much to get my baby up and going agian.. The guys that I talked to in the service dept. said it rarely happens with Z's. Again, thanks for the post.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Teufel
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the information here. My car is 35th Ann /w Auto. Raining like a mother out right now. Car just threw SES, SLIP, and VDC lights. Need to take to autozone to check light.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Teufel
Banned

Ok so I parked it in my garage, came back 30 minutes later and VDC and SLIP lights are off, but CEL remains.

Ran code and it gave me U1000. Any ideas? Someone suggested its an issue with the rain and the censors in the wheel well and that if it went away it self correct. Any reason for the CEL to remain?

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Teufel
Banned

Any ideas gents?