Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 10:03 PM
DAYTONA-ZED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LIdrew
When I had mine replaced @ 17k miles, they replaced the clutch and flywheel at no charge. I would fight them on that. How is clutch gone @ 9k miles?? You would have to be totally beating on it beyond belief or have never driven manual before. Even then, I think it would last over 9k miles.
Anyone here have their clutch replaced/adjusted because it seemed to be engaging too high or their clutch "slipping" .
Old 12-10-2005, 03:34 AM
southern_info

Tranny replaced here at 29,000 miles in my 03' Z. On my new transmission the last three numbers on my tranny is 008 which is a 2005 transmission and I also had my clutch replace.

I was wondering did anybody try to adjust the glide plate on their 2005 transmission because there is a little notch between 5th and 6th gear if they push the stick to far over in the neutral zone and get stuck between 5th and 6th gear coming from 4th or are you just dealing with it?
Old 12-15-2005, 10:39 AM
Sin

add me to the list...2004 nissan 350
Old 12-30-2005, 08:47 AM
VicPham
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by southern_info
Tranny replaced here at 29,000 miles in my 03' Z. On my new transmission the last three numbers on my tranny is 008 which is a 2005 transmission and I also had my clutch replace.

I was wondering did anybody try to adjust the glide plate on their 2005 transmission because there is a little notch between 5th and 6th gear if they push the stick to far over in the neutral zone and get stuck between 5th and 6th gear coming from 4th or are you just dealing with it?

I also had my tranmission & clutch replaced about 2 weeks ago. I noticed when i started my car the clutch felt like butter. It didnt have that hard clutch feeling anymore. It felt like i was driving a civic again. Well, when i left the dealership, the gear 1-4 shifted fine until I got to 5th gear. It was hard trying to get into that gear. I would have to wiggle the shifter a little to get in gear. Then 6th gear would be fine. Does anybody else have this same problem?
Old 12-30-2005, 12:00 PM
Lemans350

Many people have reported that 5th is tight after replacement. It might the the guide plate, or just a normal part of tranny.

i found this:

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/153951-had-my-tranny-replaced-in-my-05-just-one-question.html
Old 12-31-2005, 02:52 AM
daequitz

Originally Posted by Lemans350
Many people have reported that 5th is tight after replacement. It might the the guide plate, or just a normal part of tranny.

i found this:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153951
For me, it was and still is 2nd. 5th is never a problem???? In my original trans, 5th was an issue.........I'm only on my second gear box.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:44 PM
joeddmd

Just had my transmission replaced. Went in and told the tech. that under hard accel. when going from 4th to 5th I'd get a gear grind even with clutch fully depressed. I was also takeing it in for two other minor prob. and just told them to check the trans. He called me back and said they were going to replace it. Car is a 2003 with 24k miles. Clutch was replaced as well, the throw's on the shifter feel a little shorter and of course the new clutch picks up much faster.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:23 PM
suaveups

Tranny replaced with 42,000 miles at Hubbler nissan
Old 01-03-2006, 07:01 PM
ssk0771

Originally Posted by southern_info

The newest tranny is the one that ends with 009.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:40 AM
robbycolli

Where do you see the 009 number? Is it in the Nissan replacement paperwork or on the trans where I can see it. Thanks, Rob Collins
Old 01-04-2006, 08:15 AM
Killa350Z

Well i finally got Nissan to replace my tranny (2003 350Z) at 36000 miles because of the 3rd gear grind. They just order a new transmission, clutch and pedal assembly. They covered everything. Everything will be replaced on 1/06 at Browns Nissan in Virginia.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:14 AM
southern_info

As far as the new transmission when shifting gears getting stuck in the neutral zone between 5-6 when shifting from 4th. Well I just took the car to nissan with the paperwork of me having my new transmission put in and told them my shifter needs adjusting. They fix the problem right on the spot no problems whatsoever and everything now is all good.

As far as finding the serial number on your transmission. Look at your transsmission from the passenger side. You should see a white sticker on the side like way up in there. You have to look real good and you'll see it. It'll say the year and last 3 serial numbers of the model transmission you have.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Lemans350

The newest tranny is the one that ends with 009.
I had heard this number mentioned quite a while ago now as well, when I asked the local dealer about they looked it up in the computer and said it didnt exist, they also called the tech line and said 008 was the latest. Weird!
Old 01-06-2006, 12:23 PM
C Ray Z

Default New Tranny here

touring 03 MT with 31,000 miles. Discovered sincro grind from 5 down to 4. Funny place, I very seldom use this shift.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:56 PM
LIdrew

I hope someone from Nissan is reading this. I say "lifetime Tranny warranty", just like they extended the tire feathering warranty.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:33 PM
thReeFiFtee

Tranny replaced on 1/16/06 and still in the shop until tomorrow.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:47 AM
alpine

Hey all, it's been a while since i've been in this thread, fortunately all has been well with my trans since it was swapped out way back whenever that was.

The reason I'm here is because a friend of mine, as an 06 350z and when i told him the few "typical" issues that we had with our "new" Z's back in '03 I assured him this trans thing was not an issue at this time.

Well wouldn't you know it, it's a huge problem with his car.

his trans actually "failed"....

He was having some difficulty from the start, but he was willing to believe that perhaps he had to get used to it.... it was a little difficult at times to get from 1st to 2nd and 5th to 6th....

He was driving UP an ON RAMP and going up the ramp he started to hear some horrific noise, he tried to upshift to 2nd just to get out of 1st gear he was in, and he couldn't get into 2nd, so he went to 3rd and of course all the while the noise was continuing, he did get into 3rd, but since he didn't really have the power needed to be in 3rd, going uphill, that wasn't going too well so he started to pull over, onto the shoulder, on the on ramp!

So this was the worst trans story I've ever heard when not in a drag/launch situation, and this guy does "know" how to drive, and nothing silly or stupid was going on.

So i haven't read all of this thread, but I was wondering how are the newer Z's doing with this?

Anyone experience anything like this?

Is this not "solved" in early '05 cars?

Let me know!

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2006, 08:17 AM
DAYTONA-ZED

Originally Posted by alpine
Hey all, it's been a while since i've been in this thread, fortunately all has been well with my trans since it was swapped out way back whenever that was.

The reason I'm here is because a friend of mine, as an 06 350z and when i told him the few "typical" issues that we had with our "new" Z's back in '03 I assured him this trans thing was not an issue at this time.

Well wouldn't you know it, it's a huge problem with his car.

his trans actually "failed"....

Thanks!
Are all the tranny problems just with the manual transmissions? Haven't heard or read anything on this board or 350Zmotoring about auto tranny issues or auto tranny failures.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:33 AM
alpine

Yes so far all I have seen is Manual Trans...

It all seems to have something to do with the way the gears are aligned which is a process I don't fully understand, in regards to the synchros, the mechanisms involved to engage/disengage via the clutch pedal.

Before anyone gets excited, this has nothing to do with the clutch (as far as I know) but as you can understand there is a mechnical process which starts at the clutch pedal.

Nissan was adjusting the push rods, and they had tried alligning the shifter differently, and then they tried replacing components inside the trans, and then eventually it seemd that it was just a little bit of something making this not work right they just started replacing the trans outright, and gave up on trying to "fix" them.

I'm assuming they tear down the "bad" trans, build them as "new" and try it again.....

This is what I was thinking when my friend's Z had this problem.... maybe he got an older trans, that they thought they fixed.....

And again, as these processes are "manual" in nature, I don't believe the automatic trans are impacted....
Old 01-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Santos Uy

does anyone know what generation tranny they are using on the 06 models?

Quick Reply: Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.