Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

2007 350z plastic interior panels

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:50 AM
pistols07Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 350z plastic interior panels

My car is 18months old with 26k miles. A few interior panels including; driver side window switch panel, center console on dash above radio, as well as the radio volume ****. All have white scratches on the black finish or peeling of the finish. I am not wolverine or careless by any means. I think this is a warranty job and scheduled an appointment, the dealer said they had to look at it to see if it is a warranty item. DO you guys have any experience with this?
Old 01-07-2009, 07:48 AM
FantomZ

Originally Posted by pistols07Z
My car is 18months old with 26k miles. A few interior panels including; driver side window switch panel, center console on dash above radio, as well as the radio volume ****. All have white scratches on the black finish or peeling of the finish. I am not wolverine or careless by any means. I think this is a warranty job and scheduled an appointment, the dealer said they had to look at it to see if it is a warranty item. DO you guys have any experience with this?
My door handle plastic has two small chips in it, which I have no idea how they got there. I noticed them a few weeks after I bought the car, and since then have made sure not to let anything hard(including finger nails) touch the plastic that has this horrible finish on it. It is just ridiculously delicate, and it should definitely be covered under warranty. A good dealer would do it no questions asked, others might claim that you were at fault. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:09 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a big thread about this in the Interior and Exterior section.

I believe it's an issue with 06 and 07 z's. People have been able to get dealer replacements for the door panel parts- haven't seen anything about the cubby door latch (which has the same coating and is very prone to wear)

Something about the coating for those years made it easier to peel and scratch. From what I understand other years do not have the problem anywhere near as bad.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:36 AM
pistols07Z

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
There's a big thread about this in the Interior and Exterior section.

I believe it's an issue with 06 and 07 z's. People have been able to get dealer replacements for the door panel parts- haven't seen anything about the cubby door latch (which has the same coating and is very prone to wear)

Something about the coating for those years made it easier to peel and scratch. From what I understand other years do not have the problem anywhere near as bad.
link to thread?
Old 01-07-2009, 08:38 AM
pistols07Z

If the dealer tries to deny the warranty work and put the blame on me or "normal wear and tear". How should I answer back? Immediately threaten calling corporate? Ask if the finish is expected to peel and scratch within 2 years?
Old 01-07-2009, 08:43 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pistols07Z
DO you guys have any experience with this?
Yes. Widely discussed subject with photos.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:04 AM
cheshirecat79

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...scratches.html

The dealer can claim it is wear and tear, because it basically is. You are responsible for the interior of your car, including marks you make in it. Your car just happens to wear more easily than others.

The dealer will have to make a call based on their knowledge of the issue and whether or not they like you. I wouldn't go in there raising hell because it will probably get you nowhere with this grey area issue.

If one dealer will not replace it, you can always try another. You are not bound to any particular Nissan dealer when it comes to warranty claims.

I have an 06 and it has this problem. If I sneeze in my car flakes of the plastic will come off. I've used a sharpie marker (not recommended, you may want a Marks-a-lot) to cover the areas until I get them either repainted or replaced. That's how we do it in the ghetto.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:48 AM
KManZ
Banned

After reading the thread about this a while back, I was hoping that it would be an isolated incident; but the last time I cleaned my interior ('07 Enthusiast) a few of those white scratches appeared on the door handle area after I wiped it down (microfiber cloth, none the less).

Edit: you say it only affects '06 and '07 models? This may be getting my hopes up, but did you read or hear from someone that the '08's may have been corrected? According to a member in the thread (https://my350z.com/forum/6434312-post196.html, someone at his service dept. said it was happening to cars manufactured in 2 different years ('06 & '07 perhaps?). My interior parts have only a few small white scratches at this point, and it seems like a lot of busy work just to get them replaced with parts that are just going to peel again. But if the replacements are corrected, thats a different story.

Last edited by KManZ; 01-07-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:16 AM
cheshirecat79

The people I have talked to with '08's are not experiencing the issue. It may be a time-related thing where the summer heat breaks down the coating but I wouldn't doubt it if they corrected the spray-on mix to make it more durable, similar to the earlier years.