Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Flashing airbag lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 05:30 AM
alex350z06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 2006 Z last year in Dec since then the light has come on twice for me. I took it into my mechanic both times and they said it was passenger side module and quoted me around $700-$800. I was like **** that. So i had them reset it both times for me. 1st time came on after 4 months the second time after about 7 months. And now that's where i stand.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:36 AM
deana1

Default Still having issus

I started having the same issue. 2004 model. About 3 months ago I had someone place a on/off switch on the passenger side. I don't know if this is causing the problem. I tried the "fix" and it did fix it for the moment. Next time to drive the blinking light comes back on. The switch wiring tapped in to the airbag harness wires and I wonder if this is causing the problem. I really don't want to take it to the dealer. They will probably void everything since I have an aftermarket switch on the airbag and didn't buy it from them.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:39 AM
Globalscan

Originally Posted by 350z_Gio
My friends G35 had the airbag light also. He took it to the dealer and they said that the airbag sensor or something like that had gone bad. They charged him like 400 to fix it. I have had that light on my z for about a year already, but I don't want to dish out the money to fix it.

And welcome to my350z
+1 on our 04 coupe
Old 09-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Globalscan

Originally Posted by Globalscan
+1 on our 04 coupe
Fixed!
Old 10-27-2009, 04:58 PM
avb3

Mine is still blinking, now they are saying its the driver-side sensor. wtf
Old 03-09-2010, 06:24 AM
jmccarty

I have had the blinking problem off and on for the past 2 years in my 2005 Z. It seems to be happening more recently, 3 times in the past 2 months, the fix still works but wonder if it is really a faulty air bag or just electronic error?
Old 03-10-2010, 04:18 AM
AZNNBLK

Default flashing seatbelt light

My light also blinks every few months (3-4 times a year). The fix seems to do the trick each time. I had taken it to the dealer for a general computer diagnostics check but found no problems.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Tranzor

This happened to mine at 28K miles. Fishy...
Old 04-16-2010, 08:43 AM
alex350z06

Originally Posted by AZNNBLK
I was told that the airbag light can flash on occasion if mods are done on the car or if you change / disconnect the battery. Well, who didn't? Mine happened at 28K miles. So, I doubt it was a mechanical issue and more a computer problem. The first thing to do is to reset the airbag indicator light.

For the Airbag Reseting procedure, you should first change the SRS system to self-diagnosis mode, and then back to regular mode to clear the airbag fault you might be getting. The procedure is very easy.

How to Change to Self-Diagnosis Mode:
1. Turn Ignition switch from OFF to ON position.
2. Watch the airbag light to come on (and start blinking). Immediately turn the ignition switch to the OFF (ACC) position) and count for 5 seconds.
3. Repeat the steps (1-2) two more times. (This sets the system to Diagnostic Mode)
4. Turn ignition switch ON again. You should now notice the airbag light blink at a much slower pace - i.e. a few secs off and then on... (If you don't see this, repeat the process again until you are in the Diagnostics mode or have someone else try this).
5. Once it is in the diagnostic mode, you can leave it in this mode as long as you need. Count for at least 5 seconds and turn off the ignition switch again. (In this mode, the computer checks for any internal faults and resets the airbag indicator light if there is no mechanical problems.)
6. After ignition switch is turned OFF, wait for more than 5 seconds.
7. Turn ignition switch ON again (This returns the system to User Mode)

Your Airbag light should no longer flash.
I have the same problem on my 06. I have had it for exactly 16 months and in that time i have had my airbag light come on 4 times. 1st two times i took it to shop with a diagnostic tool. Something about the passenger module shorting??? BS. I don't by it. There's no way i'm spending $600-$700 to fix that S**T. So the next two times I simply just reset the light myself. Follow the steps above and you should be fine. Just remember when you light is on YOUR AIRBAGS DON'T WORK.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:37 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,578 Likes on 2,037 Posts

I went out to try to fix my ambient air temp reading 79 when its 110 and the damn airbag light is flashing. Tried this 20 times won't go away. I have a base with just the two front bags. Is there a different procedure?

I searched again, found this:

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...ag-lights.html

I was told that the airbag light can flash on occasion if mods are done on the car or if you change / disconnect the battery. Well, who didn't? Mine happened at 28K miles. So, I doubt it was a mechanical issue and more a computer problem. The first thing to do is to reset the airbag indicator light.

For the Airbag Reseting procedure, you should first change the SRS system to self-diagnosis mode, and then back to regular mode to clear the airbag fault you might be getting. The procedure is very easy.

2. Watch the airbag light to come on (and start blinking). Immediately turn the ignition switch to the OFF (ACC) position) and count for 5 seconds.
3. Repeat the steps (1-2) two more times. (This sets the system to Diagnostic Mode)
4. Turn ignition switch ON again. You should now notice the airbag light blink at a much slower pace - i.e. a few secs off and then on... (If you don't see this, repeat the process again until you are in the Diagnostics mode or have someone else try this).
5. Once it is in the diagnostic mode, you can leave it in this mode as long as you need. Count for at least 5 seconds and turn off the ignition switch again. (In this mode, the computer checks for any internal faults and resets the airbag indicator light if there is no mechanical problems.)

Worked for me.

Last edited by e30cabrio; 07-05-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:49 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,578 Likes on 2,037 Posts

THANK YOU!

This worked for me!
Old 07-12-2010, 11:55 AM
alex350z06

My air bag light has come on 3 more times since my last post. Works like a charm every time!!
Old 07-16-2010, 11:25 PM
andysurferdude

I have an 03 Touring, the light started flashing while out after i breaked hard ( not hard enough to cause abs ). I instantly searched this forum for "air bag" and found this thread - read the FIX and hey presto !!!! its fixed.

BIG THANKS
Old 08-11-2010, 02:33 PM
WESTINZ

This forum ROCKS.... Followed the directions and no more light, awesome.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:06 PM
CircleHeartX

i commented on this a long time ago and never got to doing it hahaha but today is a diff story just did it and it worked NIICCEE!!!
dont kno why i let it slide for so long..
Old 08-28-2010, 01:25 PM
labelworkshop75

If the bags have deployed. You have "hard codes" imprinted in the airbag module "computer". You either can replace...expensive. Or try reprogramming the module. Call some local shops or try this service http://www.myairbags.com/
Old 09-08-2010, 08:46 PM
MannySRT8

$uck picked up my Z yesterday ...I went over a hard bump about 20 minutes and the damn things flashing ...$uck sakes.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:55 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad somebody posted this up again because mine is alSo blinking, Guess I will have to try this again & with hopefully better results.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:54 PM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine was blinking after a TT install, this worked perfect, thanks.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

After I stopped stowing my sunshade under the driver seat I haven't had this issue again.

Take a looksey underneath your seat to make sure things aren't unplugged or jammed.

Quick Reply: Flashing airbag lights