Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Flashing airbag lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 06:58 PM
MannySRT8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chebosto
airbag reset procedure (taken from my racing seat install thread):

For the airbag reseting procedure…you must first change the srs system to self-diagnosis mode, and then back to user mode to clear the airbag fault you might be getting after unplugging the side-impact seat airbag and driving with the car..

How to change to self-diagnosis mode:
1. Turn ignition switch from off to on.
2. Within 1 second after air bag warning lamp is on for 7 seconds and turns off, turn off ignition switch
3. After ignition switch is turned off, wait for more than 3 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 twice. (perform 3 times in total)
5. Turn ignition switch on again (turn to diagnosis mode.)
turn to user mode
1. Turn ignition switch to off to on.
2. Within 1 second after airbag warning lamp is on for 7 seconds and turns off, turn off the ignition switch.
3. After ignition switch is turned off, wait for more than 3 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 twice (perform 3 times in total)
5. Turn ignition switch on again (turn to user mode)

your airbag light should no longer flash while driving…

this worked today thank you
Old 09-10-2010, 01:11 PM
slo_latino

wow, ive had this damn light blinking in my eye for about a year now and today i realized that it was so freakin easy to fix...lol. i HAVE to do this tonight.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:01 PM
slo_latino

ok ive tried multiple times with both ways to take this dang light off...and it still wont go off at all. maybe im special :/ but what else can i do? just go to the dealer then?
Old 09-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Z350uae

Thanks a Million for sharing this !!

I had an airbag light blinking for no reason for the past 3 months .. and its finally GONE !!
Old 09-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Blooster

Looks like the cause for my blinking airbag light may finally be fixed - after about 4 years and 4 replaced modules and assemblies.

Nissan finally brought in 2 wiring harnesses from Japan then did a lot of work to replace them - involved removing the seats. All was done under extended warranty so I paid ZERO. NNA helped a lot!

Hasn't blinked for about a month now - that's really good!
Old 12-13-2010, 04:22 PM
hkman78

Originally Posted by Sam405
Okay this is how I got mine to reset.

1.) First I open my door and use that as a timer.
2.) Turn my car into the on position wait for the airbag light to come on.
3.) Turn key to off position. When the airbag light starts to blink . You will hear the beeping sound from your door being open. Count 10 beeps and follow the same steps as number 2.) For 4 times it should go off.
This work for me. I like the fact using the open door beeping sounds as a timer. Brilliant.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:13 PM
gerb

My airbag light is flashing and I have followed the procedure posted on here.
From what I understand, Im on USER MODE when I put my ignition On after 7 seconds my airbag light flashes fast.
I followed the steps posted and after 7 seconds the airbag light flashes slow, fast, slow
this is Diagnosis Mode
I followed the steps one more time and I am back to USER MODE.
Light is now flashing fast again.

What am I doing wrong? I want it to stop flashing but can't seem to get what I'm doing wrong.
Any help please??
Old 12-27-2010, 06:31 PM
miLes.

Originally Posted by gerb
My airbag light is flashing and I have followed the procedure posted on here.
From what I understand, Im on USER MODE when I put my ignition On after 7 seconds my airbag light flashes fast.
I followed the steps posted and after 7 seconds the airbag light flashes slow, fast, slow
this is Diagnosis Mode
I followed the steps one more time and I am back to USER MODE.
Light is now flashing fast again.

What am I doing wrong? I want it to stop flashing but can't seem to get what I'm doing wrong.
Any help please??
yah i have the same problem. I did the process as posted. It would go away for a bit, then just come back. Really not trying to go to the dealership and pay $800 something just to get a light from blinking ><
Old 01-12-2011, 02:42 PM
gerb

Originally Posted by miLes.
yah i have the same problem. I did the process as posted. It would go away for a bit, then just come back. Really not trying to go to the dealership and pay $800 something just to get a light from blinking ><
turned out to be my passenger side seat belt tensioner
Haven't gotten time to fix. Look into that, perhaps you're having same issue
Old 01-21-2011, 08:22 PM
burubuduy

Originally Posted by AZNNBLK
How to Change to Self-Diagnosis Mode:
1. Turn Ignition switch from OFF to ON position.
2. Watch the airbag light to come on (and start blinking). Immediately turn the ignition switch to the OFF (ACC) position) and count for 5 seconds.
3. Repeat the steps (1-2) two more times. (This sets the system to Diagnostic Mode)
4. Turn ignition switch ON again. You should now notice the airbag light blink at a much slower pace - i.e. a few secs off and then on... (If you don't see this, repeat the process again until you are in the Diagnostics mode or have someone else try this).
5. Once it is in the diagnostic mode, you can leave it in this mode as long as you need. Count for at least 5 seconds and turn off the ignition switch again. (In this mode, the computer checks for any internal faults and resets the airbag indicator light if there is no mechanical problems.)
6. After ignition switch is turned OFF, wait for more than 5 seconds.
7. Turn ignition switch ON again (This returns the system to User Mode)

Your Airbag light should no longer flash.
^^ thank you. just did this and it worked for me.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:25 AM
alex350z06

Works for me everytime :-D...$600 for new passenger sensor module is NOT worth it!
Old 01-25-2011, 09:51 AM
corsairprime

Smile Airbag warranty & my experience

Originally Posted by alex350z06
I have an 06 with 50k no accidents and I am having the same issue with my air bag light flashing. I took it to a guy that i know has a computer reader and he said it was something with the passenger side air bag module?(something to do with a short?) So no recall for 2006? Any recommendations?
Nissan replaced my airbag module under the extended warranty I bought when the car was new. It was a struggle to Nissan to admit the coverage, but they did do the work and pay for all the parts in the end. If you have the extended warranty coverage call em up and get em to fix it. I'm not sure, but they (Dealership) also indicated it might be covered under the powertrain coverage up to 60K miles. Worth a try anyway. Best of luck.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:51 PM
gZ33

Can someone tell me where the airbag module is on the 2006? Seems like everything i've found when I search come's up for the 03-05. Is it under the center console like with the 03-05 model's?
Old 04-27-2011, 09:29 AM
burubuduy

anybody figured this out aside from doing the airbag reset? my light is on again after a week of reset.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:16 AM
jmccarty

Originally Posted by burubuduy
anybody figured this out aside from doing the airbag reset? my light is on again after a week of reset.
Unfortunately no. Mine seems to go in cycles of blinking, reset it but soon its blinking again, reset, it will stay off for a few days or weeks, then it's on again all over. Very annoying and makes me wonder if the airbags would even work in an accident?
Old 04-29-2011, 07:16 AM
sonoriansZ

I just did mine! It works!!!!! Thanks for this thread!
Old 05-02-2011, 06:28 AM
Tranzor

My light came on, I did the reset, it came back on again. I took the Z to Nissan, after looking it over they determined that my breaks were getting really bad, I couldn't tell by driving it but I knew the time was getting close.

The airbag light is part of the saftey systems, as are the breaks, when something isn't working properly within those systems, the light will come on and continue to come on until whichever saftey mechanism is repaired. After replacing the breaks, my light has yet to return...
Old 05-02-2011, 05:34 PM
jmccarty

Originally Posted by Tranzor
My light came on, I did the reset, it came back on again. I took the Z to Nissan, after looking it over they determined that my breaks were getting really bad, I couldn't tell by driving it but I knew the time was getting close.

The airbag light is part of the saftey systems, as are the breaks, when something isn't working properly within those systems, the light will come on and continue to come on until whichever saftey mechanism is repaired. After replacing the breaks, my light has yet to return...
My brakes pads are changed regularly. Still comes on periodically.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Sam Mcgoo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We get the same problem over here with the UK Zed's.

90% of the time it's the wiring under the seats. Stuff rolling under disturbing the wiring etc...l

Check the seat connections then do the reset procedure as stated. If that doesn't work remove,clean and replace the connectors then do the reset.

Works 90% of the time.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:51 AM
JDRAGE

Default AB light

I have tried the reset procedure..and disconnecting the battery..just reconnected the connectors under the seat as well...ill try another reset and see what happens. I cant get my car to pass inspection here in germany with that flashing. If that dooesnt work im taking the cluster off and taping over the light or something...its pretty frustrating.

Quick Reply: Flashing airbag lights