Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

350z Overheating When Drifting

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 08:56 PM
HoomanR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z Overheating When Drifting

So I have been having trouble when drifting with my car overheating. It runs pretty good except when I have runs that are closer together in the events that less people turn up. So basically less down time. Everything is stock except the intake(fuji something I forget) and exhaust(nismo) and my suspension(tein super drift). Nothing that should really affect overheating problems.

Any recommendations to what I should do to upgrade?

I think airflow is my main issue as if I run around the track it cools down very quickly, but just heats right back up when I get on it again.

I was thinking Koyo Racing radiator might help a bit? Maybe some aftermarket fans(brands/ideas??) Not really sure at all tho, hopefully someone has some good advice, couldn't find anything from old posts.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:05 PM
BigRez
Banned

you shouldnt be overheating, what exactly is your problem , is the engine temperature needle hitting the red?
Old 09-28-2010, 09:05 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

koyo radiator.

cf hood or vented hood or add spacers to hood hinges or remove plastic near windshield wipers.

ps fluid boiling over? u notice any ps fade?

i agree, i dont OHeat in july tx temps..

-J
Old 09-28-2010, 09:15 PM
HoomanR

engine temperature is hitting Hot but goes down really quickly so its not getting super super hot, just barely hot enough for the needle to go up and approach super hot if I don't stop running.
It only happens when I run like 10 (minute runs each) in a row, you guys probably dont get nearly as much track time as we do in Nashville. Power Steering is not fading in the least.
I don't know what else could be the problem, I flushed radiator recently to see if that would help no difference and I am 95 percent sure I don't have a head gasket issue but I have not done a pressure test yet. And theres not really much else to check?

Is Koyo better than Mishimoto?

Remove plastic to have air flow out? Same thing with hinge spacers?
Old 09-28-2010, 09:20 PM
WhiteNoiz

assuming both of your radiator fans are working?
Old 09-28-2010, 10:17 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Perhaps you could trick your fans to stay on by turning on the AC after disconnecting the lead to the compressor clutch.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:28 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Mishimoto is just fine, but the thick Koyo will leave you cooling for anything in the future.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:15 PM
skakemokid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you bleed the coolant all the way..
Old 09-29-2010, 12:18 AM
djarno
Z

Maybe there's some air in the coolant system after flushing out your radiator. Air in the system will definitely cause your temp gauge to rise.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:39 AM
Ladii Z

You're definitely not alone with the overheating problem! I've been having severe overheating issues myself.

But there are many things I would suggest to fix that. I have a bunch of buddies that have the same problem with their VQ's and this is the advice I've been given.

Firstly, upgrade the oil cooler. If you're on the track (especially for drifting) you're going to need to upgrade that eventually.

Second, just like others were saying, upgrade your radiator. Try to find a pretty thick one like the JTC radiators. They're not too pricey if you look on eBay.

Also, when I'm doing drift days, my car only overheats when I'm doing (small or large) donuts, or just anything in a circular motion. That's because you're motor isn't getting the adequate amount of air flow. I would suggest drifting a course rather than on a skid pad, and take cool-off laps. It helps A LOT! When you take a break in between runs, if there's wind, park your car so that it's facing against the wind. That also helps. If you have access to water, you can pour some on the motor to cool it down if it's getting too hot. If you see you're car is overheating, don't keep drifting, just take a cool-down lap. It will definitely help with the longevity of the motor.

And try to use racing oil when you go to drift days--that will help.

Last edited by Ladii Z; 09-29-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on air in the system. Check the overflow tank. If its empty, bleed.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:31 PM
LaoSiFu

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
koyo radiator.

cf hood or vented hood or add spacers to hood hinges or remove plastic near windshield wipers.

ps fluid boiling over? u notice any ps fade?

i agree, i dont OHeat in july tx temps..

-J
+1 on Jason recommendation. You will be surprise how much a vented hood and adding spacers to them would do.

Can I say while changing your radiator you might want to switch your OEM thermostat to a Nismo one.

I know it is a lousy pic of it but I prepared my vehicle for track day. Oil cooler, larger PS Cooler, larger radiator and upgraded fluid.

~Robert
Old 09-29-2010, 07:05 PM
HoomanR

im sure I dont have any air in the system, and its been bled well

if I had any kind of mechanical problems I am pretty sure I would see immediate overheating, not late day overheating no?

whats the benefit of nismo thermostat? does it open at different temps?

I think my issue is about airflow(it cools really well if I have a place to get up to speed), does anyone ever upgrade their fans?

what are some good brands for each upgrade?

radiator I am hearing Koyo is the way to go?

oil cooler ?

fluid?

fans?

Id like whatever I buy be useful for any future upgrades so I don't really care about price if its worth it. I will eventually add power upgrades which I am not sure how I want to go, dunno if turbo on the z would be the right route for drifting or not

and I am assuming power steering cooler I should just wait til I have issues as it wont help my engine temp at all

(ps btw if anyone needs tein suspension I can get it cheaper than ebay if you pm me)
Old 09-30-2010, 02:17 AM
LaoSiFu

Originally Posted by HoomanR
im sure I dont have any air in the system, and its been bled well

if I had any kind of mechanical problems I am pretty sure I would see immediate overheating, not late day overheating no?

whats the benefit of nismo thermostat? does it open at different temps?

I think my issue is about airflow(it cools really well if I have a place to get up to speed), does anyone ever upgrade their fans?

what are some good brands for each upgrade?

radiator I am hearing Koyo is the way to go?

oil cooler ?

fluid?

fans?

Id like whatever I buy be useful for any future upgrades so I don't really care about price if its worth it. I will eventually add power upgrades which I am not sure how I want to go, dunno if turbo on the z would be the right route for drifting or not

and I am assuming power steering cooler I should just wait til I have issues as it wont help my engine temp at all

(ps btw if anyone needs tein suspension I can get it cheaper than ebay if you pm me)
The Nismo thermostat operate @ a lower temperature vs the OEM thermostat.

As for radiator, a lot folks have such positive review for Koyo. I think Mishimoto are cheaper but from what I hear and have seen the fitment isn't perfect.

The oil coolers was a custom one. I followed RBALDINELLII thread and followed it exactly. If you see my picture I posted you can see the oil cooler
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...-pictures.html

As for fans, I never changed it. I continue to use the OEM ones which works fine. If I am not mistaken, the reason why folks switch fans is because of some FI components needs the extra space and a slim fan is required.

As far as PS Cooler I followed something similar to Jason except the plate part because my garage stores only holiday decoration not a thousands of tools like him
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...ng-cooler.html
FYI I picked mine up from Summit Racing.

~Robert
Old 09-30-2010, 03:40 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

^ werd!

-J
Old 09-30-2010, 06:45 AM
Parker01

Originally Posted by Ladii Z

If you have access to water, you can pour some on the motor to cool it down if it's getting too hot.
Do NOT listen to this advice, nothing under your hood is going to like the thermal shock... it would rather stay hot longer and cool at a slow rate!
Old 10-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Ladii Z

Originally Posted by Parker01
Do NOT listen to this advice, nothing under your hood is going to like the thermal shock... it would rather stay hot longer and cool at a slow rate!

thermal shock? interesting.

that usually occurs when there is a DRASTIC change in temperature. It's not like the fluid was boiling and then it instantly froze within a matter of seconds. A slight thermal shock may occur on an older motor, or when elements of the motor are made with various materials that would be affected by temperature so readily. The point of the water is to help the process of cooling down, and usually hose water when you're out in the middle of the desert tends to be 78 degrees or more. Plenty of people do it on track days, as well as myself. But like I said, only if you're motor is overheating a little too much.

EDIT:

Hey, I was just looking at what I posted, and I realized I was just arguing the wrong point. So my bad. On track days, I don't usually spray my motor, I DO hose down the radiator.

But as I was saying, thermal shock isn't LIKELY to occur when using a high temp water.

Bottom line is, don't ever let your oil get too hot, then it thins out = death.

I would rather cool it down a little faster than have my motor be running on too lean of oil because of the heat. You might just blow your motor even at idle (and yes, I've had that happen too).

Nonetheless, I'm a noob, I can only say what I know from experiences, rather than my book knowledge on the area.

Last edited by Ladii Z; 10-02-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:29 AM
beniscooler850

I went with a mishimoto and it runs great never hot
Old 11-28-2010, 08:23 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you get a good fitting one? I had to mod mine alittle but it works great.