Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Loud screech sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 07:07 PM
jgruver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud screech sound

I’m deployed right now and my wife has been starting my 2003 350Z for me every 2 weeks. The last time she tried to start it, it made a loud screeching sound and wouldn’t start. “The kind of sound a dinosaur would make if it was being raped.” She knows exactly how to start my car and she also drives a M/T. My car has 65,000 miles on it. Is this the typical life for starters going on 350Z’s. Or is it something else. I have some friends that are mechanics that can replace it for me before I get home but I didn’t want to throw parts blindly at it. Thanks
Old 03-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Figgy

Screeching noises usually indicates a loose belt...you should have her test the belt tension...I would rather replace belts before throwing money at an expensive starter! Not sure why it wouldn't start possibly belt slip could be something as small as replacing a tensioner pulley! Like I said check the fairly inexpensive stuff first belt tension,make sure belts are properly seated on pulleys, could be simple as tightening tension...good luck!
Old 03-08-2011, 07:19 PM
gixxert

if it did it at start up ill bet its the belt. ill guess it was below 50 degrees. if she sprays belt dressing on it it will help. or replace the belt with a new one from nissan is how my friend got rid of his.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:25 PM
AznAliaz

if its cold weather, it most like to be the belt, im having the same problems after i went in for warranty, the screech goes away after car is warmed up a little.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:55 PM
gregom

def sounds like a belt. Can just leave it alone until you get it back or if you trust her enough to drive it down to a oilery shop and they can probably replace the belts. Or pay a Z guy in your local area to do it...
Old 03-08-2011, 10:36 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"The last time she tried to start it, it made a loud screeching sound and WOULDN'T start."

A simple loose or worn-out belt wouldn't make a noise until AFTER the engine was running, since the alternator isn't charging (and putting a load on the belt) while the starter is engaged. None of the engine accessories should be putting enough load on the belt to cause it to slip while the engine is being cranked.

Things that would make the noise while the engine was being cranked and BEFORE it started include:

A: Something that causes the belt to slip WHILE the engine is cranking, like a frozen idler pulley, power steering pump, alternator, or AC compressor clutch rotor.

B: Bad starter. which would be obvious since the engine wouldn't be turning at all if the starter isn't engaging the flywheel properly.

You need to find out if the engine is turning over at all. If not, it's the starter.

If the engine IS turning over, see if the belt is moving. If not, you'll need to take the belt off to see which accessory isn't allowing the belt to turn. If the belt is moving, you need to see which pulley isn't turning.

Last edited by winchman; 03-08-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:53 AM
DaveJackson
Master
Premier Member

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts

I think a raped dinosaur sounds like a ring gear that's missing a tooth so when the starter hits it, two things happen.
1. Raped dino noise
2. Car doesn't start
If she tries it a couple of more times, or puts it in 6th and rocks back & forth before starting, it'll probably start without that noise. That noise will only occur about 10% of attempted starts (depending on the starter-ring gear diameter ratios.)
Winchman, does this sound plausible?
Old 03-09-2011, 08:54 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, it does, but , thankfully, that doesn't happen very often. It's an expensive fix, since it requires dropping the transmission, replacing the flywheel, and probably replacing the starter as well.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:12 PM
jgruver

I had this happen before i left too. When my wife explained what happened it sounded exactly like what happened before I left. I also have a JWT flywheel and clutch that was installed about 5 years ago when I bought the car. Is this typical for these parts to go bad after 30,000 miles. My car only has 65,000 miles on it and I put in the flywheel at about 30-35000 miles. The ratio of 1 in 10 starts also sounds about right since I’ve been gone for 6 months and she starts it every 2 weeks. That would put it at about 10 starts since I’ve left. The sound definitely doesn’t sound like a slipping belt. Slipping belts makes a waving screech with the RPM’s. This is a loud I want to cry for my 3.5L sound. Thanks for the help I think I’m going to go buy a starter and flywheel. Then get raped paying someone to install it since I also have aftermarket exhaust.

Last edited by jgruver; 03-09-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:58 PM
DaveJackson
Master
Premier Member

The sound should be like you turned the starter key while it was running. Oddly, this is also what often snaps a tooth in the first place. Have you been doing that??
I agree with winchman that it isn't very common, so I would NOT rush out got new parts, yet. Leave it until you get back and see what you think. If it is the ring gear, post pics after.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:22 PM
jgruver

Yes, the sound is similar to the "turning the key while it's running" sound. I can't say that I have done that with this car but I have owned it for 5 years and it may have happened. Also I bought it used and it was 3 years old. If I do not fix this problem in the near future what type of damage can occur other than replacing flywheel, starter, ring gear? Thanks for the help... I knew it wasn't a belt.

Last edited by jgruver; 03-09-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:26 PM
DaveJackson
Master
Premier Member

Well, I had a Scirocco that did this years ago and it eventually got worse to where it would do it more and more often. I imagine that more teeth were wearing/breaking but probably on the starter. I'm not sure. I didn't end up fixing it before the car was sold.
Anyway, other than the humiliation of that noise when it does it in a more public place, I'm not really sure of any additional damage. I suspect that if you fix it sooner, you would probably just have to replace the ring gear before the teeth start going on the starter... It's the labour that will be the lion's share of the bill regardless of the starter.
Sorry I can't be of more help. I hope it ends up being as cheap as possible!