Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Gear Grinding Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 05:48 PM
370zforme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Grinding Sound?

Today when i was pulling into a parking spot (I was in neutral) I was braking to stop completely and I hear a gear grinding noise. Similar to that of a helmet sliding on a sidewalk. I checked the exterior of the car to make sure that nothing was run over that could have caused the noise.. I was in neutral so I don't think that it was a gear grind? Ideas?
Old 05-11-2011, 06:22 PM
pcressey

Was it coming from the transmission? If so... normal and expected.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:25 PM
370zforme

Originally Posted by pcressey
Was it coming from the transmission? If so... normal and expected.
I have no idea : / it did sound like a gear grind though. Why would that have happened if I was in neutral and doing nothing with the clutch or shifter?
Old 05-11-2011, 07:35 PM
dcastillo819

Originally Posted by 370zforme
Today when i was pulling into a parking spot (I was in neutral) I was braking to stop completely and I hear a gear grinding noise. Similar to that of a helmet sliding on a sidewalk. I checked the exterior of the car to make sure that nothing was run over that could have caused the noise.. I was in neutral so I don't think that it was a gear grind? Ideas?
REALLY?!? So you want us to help you out but you first think its a gear grinding noise, and then you don't. So which is it? I think you either have a lemon because you keep complaining about you car or you are just hearing noises.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:46 PM
pcressey

I have no idea : / it did sound like a gear grind though. Why would that have happened if I was in neutral and doing nothing with the clutch or shifter?
Drive your car around for a bit tomorrow, then get out and put your ear under it... if it sounds like something is hitting, grinding, and things of that nature... it is probably the flywheel. It is normal on these cars.

If you are still worried, take it to someone to look at.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:58 PM
370zforme

Originally Posted by dcastillo819
REALLY?!? So you want us to help you out but you first think its a gear grinding noise, and then you don't. So which is it? I think you either have a lemon because you keep complaining about you car or you are just hearing noises.
I tried to use an analogy, calm down
Old 05-11-2011, 08:59 PM
370zforme

Originally Posted by pcressey
Drive your car around for a bit tomorrow, then get out and put your ear under it... if it sounds like something is hitting, grinding, and things of that nature... it is probably the flywheel. It is normal on these cars.

If you are still worried, take it to someone to look at.
Thanks, I appreciate your input and kind responses.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:16 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe your brake pads are shot, and the metal backing plates are ruining your discs.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:15 AM
Deedilus

If you weren't in gear and it was while you were braking it's most likely something to do with your brakes. If it hasn't happened since then it's definitely nothing to worry about, but if it has let us know whether it was while you were in neutral again and whether it was during any type of braking.. Shouldn't be the flywheel though, I know our cars tranny's are loud but I can't think of anything that would happen in neutral that would sound similar to a gear grind. The flywheel and throw-out bearing have a distinct sound to them that I def wouldn't relate to a helmet being scraped against the sidewalk.

Let us know if it happens again and what the conditions are..
Old 05-12-2011, 01:02 PM
370zforme

Originally Posted by Deedilus
If you weren't in gear and it was while you were braking it's most likely something to do with your brakes. If it hasn't happened since then it's definitely nothing to worry about, but if it has let us know whether it was while you were in neutral again and whether it was during any type of braking.. Shouldn't be the flywheel though, I know our cars tranny's are loud but I can't think of anything that would happen in neutral that would sound similar to a gear grind. The flywheel and throw-out bearing have a distinct sound to them that I def wouldn't relate to a helmet being scraped against the sidewalk.

Let us know if it happens again and what the conditions are..
Yep, I am positive that I was in neutral. It just happened yesterday and hasn't happened since. My brakes have been squeaking so I was going to get them checked out anyway to get rid of that squeaking, thanks.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:36 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The squeaking is a design feature to let you know they're going to be grinding pretty soon.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:14 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, I am positive that I was in neutral. It just happened yesterday and hasn't happened since. My brakes have been squeaking so I was going to get them checked out anyway to get rid of that squeaking, thanks.
The squeaking is a design feature to let you know they're going to be grinding pretty soon.
^^ THIS. Most likely you have diven past the warning period on the brakes (squeaking noise) its time to change pads before you get into the rotors and make things expensive (grinding noise).