Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Tranny making weird sounds in 1st-2nd? I have a solution!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 12:10 PM
JYoza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tranny making weird sounds in 1st-2nd? I have a solution!

Hey everyone,

So I just got back from Nissan and was originally getting new rotors and pads put on. However, given that I had purchased the car used and had no history of the last time any of the fluids were changed, I asked for them to do a multi-point inspection. Prior to all of this, I owned the car for about 8 months and have always noticed a spooling/rotating winding sound with the tranny when entering 1st and going into 2nd gear. I've searched and searched and found many others having related problems. Well any how, I got the results from the inspection and found out my car needed new brake, tranny, and LSD fluid. Obviously I gave them the go ahead to get the car in tip top condition and here were the results...

There is no longer any sound in the transmission when going from 1st to 2nd. It sounds clean as a whistle and quiet for the most part as any regular car should. I left this dealer expecting to have amazing brake response which I did but was even more amazed that I unexpectedly resolved a problem that I have been constantly looking for an answer for.

I apologize if this has been resolved numerous amounts of times, and this is simply another one of those, "We already know this..." threads, but I really wanted to share this with the Z community so they know. However, if this post is pointless and has already been said, Mods please feel free to remove.

Thanks,
Justin

Last edited by JYoza; 06-25-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:15 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Hi,.. I’m having exactly the problem you describe. I’ll try your solution at my next maintenance visit and report back on the results.

Thanks for posting info.
--Spike
Old 06-25-2014, 06:57 PM
JYoza

Originally Posted by Spike100
Hi,.. I’m having exactly the problem you describe. I’ll try your solution at my next maintenance visit and report back on the results.

Thanks for posting info.
--Spike
Nissan put in all synthetic fluids where synthetic could be placed. At the very start of 1st gear (and I mean very very start) you hear the sound up until 1.2K on the tac but then it goes away. Even if you rev 1st gear all the way up to 7.5k, it still doesn't make the sounds as described. And as you would suspect, 2nd gear is clean sounding. Best of luck! Obviously brake fluid doesn't matter with the sound, but I believe the tran fluid change was $199.00. 100% flush with new filters. LSD, I don't believe that has any affect either but I did it anyways because I love my car. (If your car has no LSD, get the LSD synthetic fluid anyways. Better quality)
Old 06-26-2014, 05:09 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

This post makes an excellent point: changing fluids on a regular basis can make a significant difference to how your Z operates. Even better, it doesn't take that much work to DIY (there are plenty of threads on tranny, diff, etc changes). I find Redline MT85 in the tranny is an excellent product and fits the factory specs for out manual trannys.

BTW Jyoza- there are no filters on your tranny and $200 for a fluid change (2 1/2-3 quarts) sounds pretty expensive to me. Brake fluid can effect the overall function and durability of your braking system. Water collects in the fluid itself, which makes it less effective as the brakes warm, and contributes to master cylinder wear.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:46 AM
JYoza

Originally Posted by dkmura
This post makes an excellent point: changing fluids on a regular basis can make a significant difference to how your Z operates. Even better, it doesn't take that much work to DIY (there are plenty of threads on tranny, diff, etc changes). I find Redline MT85 in the tranny is an excellent product and fits the factory specs for out manual trannys.

BTW Jyoza- there are no filters on your tranny and $200 for a fluid change (2 1/2-3 quarts) sounds pretty expensive to me. Brake fluid can effect the overall function and durability of your braking system. Water collects in the fluid itself, which makes it less effective as the brakes warm, and contributes to master cylinder wear.
Thanks for the positivity and informing me! I, admittedly, don't know much about the detailed mechanics of the car. The best I know is to change fluids that should always be taken care of, and that I can change the spark plugs myself. Anything more than that and I'm really not sure. Thus why I am always on these forums learning everytime! I was very shocked when my advisor at Nissan estimated me $199.00 and from what he said + filters (words from his mouth) but he gave me a 20% off the total bill which came out to be $820.00 so I couldn't complain. At least I know Nissan did everything, and that I know they did it right. Also, it's a good thing I had the brake fluid changed as well. I'm telling you, it is like night and day.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:11 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

When Nissan changed my tranny fluid my transmission blew 50-75 miles later. Pretty convinced they put the wrong fluid in.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:47 AM
Tenacious T

The more I use Nissan dealers for service the more I'm finding that the techs and service department in general are composed of a bunch of idiots. I think it may be better to find a reputable private shop for any work as the chances are that the techs at Nissan have never worked on a Z before anyway... This last visit has been ongoing for over two months and I still don't have my car back, plus they left it unlocked and my radio was stolen...
Old 06-26-2014, 09:53 AM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
When Nissan changed my tranny fluid my transmission blew 50-75 miles later. Pretty convinced they put the wrong fluid in.
I bought OEM fluid from my dealer when I had my clutch replaced. They sold me automatic fluid. When I questioned it and reminded him I have a 6MT he said Nissan is putting A/T fluid in both transmissions now. I agreed thinking maybe that was true and they came up with a dual purpose solution since 2003. Did some research, took the fluid back and specifically requested what my manual said I needed. He tried to play it off like he didn't hear me say I had a 6MT but he knew...he knew
Old 06-26-2014, 10:18 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 456 Likes on 370 Posts

I don't let people touch my car. . . except for an inspection
Old 06-26-2014, 10:21 AM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
I don't let people touch my car. . . except for an inspection
I'm the same way. Inspection and alignment is the only time someone drives my car. I even take my wheels/tires off and take them to the shop in my Jeep when I need tires replaced.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:25 AM
JYoza

Yikes!! Sounds like Nissan has treated you guys like ****! I don't know! I know my advisor to the point that we walk around and talk about stupid **** when he is on his lunch break. I've had the following done to my car from the same Lynnes Nissan Dealer: Exhaust, Valve Covers, O Rings, Full Brake Job, Oil Change, and now Tranny, LSD, and Brake Fluid. So far so good but I hope this lucky streak doesn't come to an end.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:26 AM
JYoza

Originally Posted by Tenacious T
The more I use Nissan dealers for service the more I'm finding that the techs and service department in general are composed of a bunch of idiots. I think it may be better to find a reputable private shop for any work as the chances are that the techs at Nissan have never worked on a Z before anyway... This last visit has been ongoing for over two months and I still don't have my car back, plus they left it unlocked and my radio was stolen...
I remember reading about that... That sucks so much.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:38 AM
Tenacious T

Originally Posted by JYoza
I remember reading about that... That sucks so much.
Yea, I'm still fighting with the manager now since the radio was recovered, but will be held for evidence for a few months. OP, I'm glad you're having a good experience with your dealer, wish there was a reputable one near me...