Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Replaced Throw Out Bearing, Still Grinding

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 04:24 AM
Mike Giordano

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry Replaced Throw Out Bearing, Still Grinding

Hey guys, I just purchased an 06 Base Z with 61k miles on it the other day. I noticed a grinding noise when pushing in the clutch, mostly when going from gear into neutral while slowing for a stop. I took it to a mechanic who told me it was the throw out bearing, and had it replaced. It was gone for a few days but now it is back and sounds exactly the same. Anyone know what else this could be?
Old 06-16-2015, 09:02 AM
Mike Giordano

Any thoughts?
Old 06-16-2015, 10:39 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Another rogue noise issue blamed on the throwout bearing. My thoughts..if your mechanic is telling you he dropped the transmission, and all he did was replace the throwout bearing, you need a new mechanic.

Did he make any mention at all of replacing the pilot bushing, re-greasing any components, or anything else like that?

If you paid him less than 4-500 for the job, he probably didn't actually drop your transmission just to replace the throwout bearing..that is the going rate to drop the housing. All other work is pretty easy once you have the trans dropped (including clutch/flywheel replacement)...which is why he should have performed a full clutch system service while he was under there.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:40 AM
guitman32

Oh, and describe in more detail the sound you are experiencing, be as detailed as you can.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:06 AM
Mike Giordano

I just purchased the car used. The whole job cost $556 before taxes. He told me it was a newer exedy brand clutch assembly and that the throw out bearing had been warped and was grinding against the housing making that noise. Basically it is a scratchy noise like as if you were dragging a shovel across concrete. It only happens when the clutch is disengaged and is intermittant, but usually happens when first accelerating in lower gears or when going from a higher gear like 4th or 5th back into neutral to slow to a stop. The sound immediately goes away when the clutch is engaged. I can feel the scratching noise in the shifter when this happens as well.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:39 AM
guitman32

When you say disengaged do you mean the pedal or the clutch itself?

Our transmissions are quite noisy even in factory trim, and the sound is often described as some rocks in a cement mixer, only muffled. It is most pronounced at idle and low rpms when accelerating, goes away when you depress the clutch pedal (disengage the clutch), and is amplified by aftermarket single mass flywheels. You will feel these vibrations in the shifter to varying degrees. It is VERY common in the automotive world to hear people attribute this phenomenon to a bad throwout bearing, which is usually INCORRECT. The TOB is the Hester Prynne of the transmission system.

Did he notice what kind of flywheel was installed (aftermarket or OEM), did he replace the pilot bushing? Did he assess the condition of the transmission input shaft? Not to nitpick, but there is no way the throwout bearing could make contact with the bellhousing or any other part of the transmission. It is pressed on a sleeve, and the only other direct contact is with the pressure plate springs. It could only fail internally and rub against itself in its own "housing." And, it obviously wasn't the issue so the point is moot.

Immediately when you mention "dragging a shovel across concrete" (a clinging gravel-y type sound), I think something is wrong with your clutch disc (or you are running a multi-disc clutch, lol).
Old 06-16-2015, 11:47 AM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have heard of mechanics actually installing the TOB backwards by mistake, so that when it spins it is actually dragging on the pressure plate instead of spinning freely on the bearings.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:26 PM
Mike Giordano

Originally Posted by guitman32
When you say disengaged do you mean the pedal or the clutch itself?

Our transmissions are quite noisy even in factory trim, and the sound is often described as some rocks in a cement mixer, only muffled. It is most pronounced at idle and low rpms when accelerating, goes away when you depress the clutch pedal (disengage the clutch), and is amplified by aftermarket single mass flywheels. You will feel these vibrations in the shifter to varying degrees. It is VERY common in the automotive world to hear people attribute this phenomenon to a bad throwout bearing, which is usually INCORRECT. The TOB is the Hester Prynne of the transmission system.

Did he notice what kind of flywheel was installed (aftermarket or OEM), did he replace the pilot bushing? Did he assess the condition of the transmission input shaft? Not to nitpick, but there is no way the throwout bearing could make contact with the bellhousing or any other part of the transmission. It is pressed on a sleeve, and the only other direct contact is with the pressure plate springs. It could only fail internally and rub against itself in its own "housing." And, it obviously wasn't the issue so the point is moot.

Immediately when you mention "dragging a shovel across concrete" (a clinging gravel-y type sound), I think something is wrong with your clutch disc (or you are running a multi-disc clutch, lol).
It happens when I have the Clutch pedal pushed in and goes away when my foot is off the pedal.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:53 PM
guitman32

Originally Posted by myork
I have heard of mechanics actually installing the TOB backwards by mistake, so that when it spins it is actually dragging on the pressure plate instead of spinning freely on the bearings.
With the 350z TOB sleeve design, even if mounted backwards I do no think there would be interference between it and the TOB, not without a catastrophic bearing failure anyway.

Originally Posted by Mike Giordano
It happens when I have the Clutch pedal pushed in and goes away when my foot is off the pedal.
Doesn't sound like transmission chatter then.

Still a lot of unanswered questions, did the mechanic inspect the clutch, flywheel and pressure plate (ie. actually remove the pressure plate from the flywheel)? He said it was Exedy, but did he say what kind of clutch disc you have?

Maybe a combination of clutch disc wear/damage (broken clutch hub??) and/or a failure in the clutch hydraulics. Just guesses really.

Hopefully he agreed to help fix this issue since he incorrectly diagnosed the problem.