Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Strange sound during deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 10:33 AM
burglapfd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange sound during deceleration

i have a '03 manual and recently changed the trans fluid to redline mt. Whenever I accelerate, lets say to 4k, i let off the throttle and the rpms start to drop as soon as the needle hits around 2.2k rpm there is a loud sound which continues till 2k rpm then the sound disappears.

The sound is very brief or rather not very audible at all during acceleration only once i left off the throttle. This happens in every gear at that specified rpm range. The sound seems like its coming from where the glove compartment would be in a normal car. (in front of the passenger)

Can anyone advise or shed some insight

I checked the trans fill/drain plug everything is good still no leaks
Old 12-13-2015, 11:50 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Very likely a bushing in the suspension, and nothing to do with the fluid change.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:49 PM
burglapfd

Originally Posted by dcains
Very likely a bushing in the suspension, and nothing to do with the fluid change.
It sounds almost metallic, although my mechanical knowledge is limited it doesn't sound like a suspension issue. If it is, why would it only make the noise between a certain rpm
Old 12-13-2015, 01:29 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

A metallic sound could be one of the pulleys on the front of the engine. Belt idler or tensioner, alternator bearing, etc. Stick your head in there while someone revs the engine for you, but watch out for moving parts.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:23 PM
RWDBajan

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a similar noise (at least I have a metallic noise on deceleration between 2500 and 1200 rpm in all gears). It started after the clutch was replaced. The exhaust was dropped and after I got the car back it had a leak. Left it with the dealer to fix and when I got it back it had the noise. Wasn't that bad at first so I didn't take it back again, but it's got worse.

I believe it's a heat shield vibrating against the pipe. Haven't had an opportunity to put it up on stands to check.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:32 PM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Received 9,148 Likes on 6,598 Posts

Originally Posted by RWDBajan
I have a similar noise (at least I have a metallic noise on deceleration between 2500 and 1200 rpm in all gears). It started after the clutch was replaced. The exhaust was dropped and after I got the car back it had a leak. Left it with the dealer to fix and when I got it back it had the noise. Wasn't that bad at first so I didn't take it back again, but it's got worse.

I believe it's a heat shield vibrating against the pipe. Haven't had an opportunity to put it up on stands to check.
very possible , when i had aftermarket cats it was close to the shield and would cause it to vibrate
Old 12-13-2015, 02:33 PM
burglapfd

Originally Posted by RWDBajan

i also recently reverted back to a oem exhaust but i removed the heat shield due to excessive vibration noise
Old 12-13-2015, 02:37 PM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

maybe the cat honeycomb breaking apart... man its hard to say over the internet. bribe a buddy with beer or take it to nissan to get properly diagnosed
Old 12-13-2015, 02:43 PM
burglapfd

Originally Posted by travlee
maybe the cat honeycomb breaking apart... man its hard to say over the internet. bribe a buddy with beer or take it to nissan to get properly diagnosed
I've been meaning to get the cats checked cause if I gun it I get a foul smell in the cabin. So could it be a probable car? Just strange to me how it only happens in that very specific narrow rpm range
Old 12-13-2015, 02:47 PM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

here is what i would do..... get all four corners up in the air, bribe said semi drunk buddy to get under the car by the cats and see if hears it... may or may not without the resistance on the drivetrain and motor being up in the air... or just knock on them with you hand to see if you hear any rattles