Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Windshield Cowl Drain Locations

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 02:13 PM
SilverGLE

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Windshield Cowl Drain Locations

Can someone please point out the locations of the drains under the plastic windshield cowl?

I have water leaking into the passenger side when it rains heavily, and I'm trying to troubleshoot it. But, every post I find says to remove the plastic and unclog the drains... Problem is, I don't see anything that looks like a drain! I've also been looking through the FSM on a regular basis w/o any success.

Before you ask, no, I haven't tried dumping water on the cowl to see, yet. I want to verify the drains aren't clogged before I do this.

Here's photos of my cowl... If someone could circle the locations, that'd be great! I also have photos w/ the cowl removed, if that'd be better. Don't mind the dirty engine bay... My Z had a rough life before I bought it.

And I do have the surround and cover for the battery, they were just removed right before I took these photos.

Old 02-26-2019, 02:24 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

The Z33 can have problems shedding water. My 350z is rusting at the driver's door lock and the back of the rear quarter panel.

Note: I have already repaired rust at the rear quarter panel. When repairing Z33 moisture accumulation, you definitely want to discover where water accumulates and repair this site.

Last edited by Spike100; 02-27-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:03 PM
Nickv

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heads up about the water that is coming in on the passenger side. If you remove the battery the only hole in the fire wall is for the wiring harness. The harness leads right to the ecu. To keep your ecu from frying add some silicone caulk around the wires to stop the leak!
Old 02-26-2019, 08:07 PM
SilverGLE

Originally Posted by Spike100
The Z33 is awful at shedding water. My 350z is rusting at the driver's door lock and the back of the rear quarter panel.

Note: I have already repaired rust at the rear quarter panel. When repairing Z33 moisture accumulation, you definitely want to discover where water accumulates and repair this site.
Wow. Thankfully I haven't seen any rust anywhere. I want to get the interior cleaned (mold, *sigh*), but need to solve the leak issue, first.

Originally Posted by Nickv
Heads up about the water that is coming in on the passenger side. If you remove the battery the only hole in the fire wall is for the wiring harness. The harness leads right to the ecu. To keep your ecu from frying add some silicone caulk around the wires to stop the leak!
Thanks! So you're saying there's a grommet behind/under the battery? I know there's one above the battery by the fender. I'll use some clear RTV on both, and on the one by the brake master cylinder for good measure

Last edited by SilverGLE; 02-26-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:23 AM
Desert Z

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This may or may not help you but my battery was leaking acid and the acid made it all the way to the floor of my garage. I replaced the battery but I still had the remaining acid under the battery area leaking down for a bit. There is a drain under the battery somewhere. From the bottom I could see the stuff leak down from where the frame rail is.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:36 AM
SilverGLE

Originally Posted by Desert Z
This may or may not help you but my battery was leaking acid and the acid made it all the way to the floor of my garage. I replaced the battery but I still had the remaining acid under the battery area leaking down for a bit. There is a drain under the battery somewhere. From the bottom I could see the stuff leak down from where the frame rail is.
Holy crap!

I had a similar issue in a 00 Maxima I had (crappy WalMart battery started leaking), but the acid didn't make it through to the floor.

Sounds like I need to remove the battery and look under there for a drainhole and/or wire grommet to be certain. Hopefully I'll be able to tackle this tomorrow since I have the day off. I'll post pics in the interest of helping others, too.