10.62%
Voters: 697. You may not vote on this poll

Feathering poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 06:08 AM
MikeStevens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by trusso50
The poll is fantastic. Thanks to its creaters and respondants.

It's probably not statistically significant (small number of responses + disgruntled people more likely to respond), but still very useful. Leads me to believe that Nissan's claims (problem is fixed in 2004s) may have some merit(?)

In any case, those of us on the fence b/c of this issue would really appreciate more responses (especially as Nissan is not subsidizing alignments & tire replacements for 2004s).

Thanks!
I have an 04 with The Problem. Had TSB done at ~6,500, noise is back at ~10,000. My guess is Nissan will expand the latest TSB (the two year deal) once enough 04s have accumulated the miles and history to show the problem wasn't fixed with the 04 models. Statistically this poll will probably give a better picture of the 04 situation once there's more history too.

Still, I'd be willing to fix the problem on my own nickle if there was as solution (shocks, tires, suspension kit) to be had.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:05 AM
chinksation

holy cow, the road noise started again! they swapped me out new tires at 17k ...now i'm at 22k and the road noise is back! When I had initially called Nissan service and took it back to the dealer to fix, they told me they had fixed the problems and hooked me up with two new tires...looks like i'm spending 6 more hours at the dealer again ...waiting....
Old 06-04-2004, 11:14 AM
Wotnot

Default WEll......I live in Canada

and up here.....I had the TSB performed when I noticed noise.....no feathering.....I just received a letter from Nissan Canada, extending my warranty on these OEM for another two yrs......

I've done alot of research on these OEM tires.....I've been to ALOT of other auto forums...and also many tire forums.....IMO....these tires are unsuitable for our cars....Lexus owners reported uneven wear and feathering.....AUDI owners did the same.....I'm sure there are problems with some of our cars from a spring/suspensoin standpoint......which is causing feathering in some cars.....but....lets face it....these OEM RE 040 tires really arent very well regarded in the tire industry.....

let's not lose sight of that..as I have no feathing at all....just very noisy tires...
Old 06-04-2004, 12:20 PM
350zRoadster04

Has everyone seen this site?

http://www.nissantireproblems.com/
Old 06-07-2004, 11:56 AM
1sicz

Hello, I had early stage "Cupping" show up at about 9K miles('03 Touring). Lots of road noise especially cruising under 30mph. I took it down to the dealer today and under warranty, gave me a new set of front tires and did an alignment job for free (Thank you Poway Nissan). No more road noise in the cabin and the car rides so much smoother now. Based on other's responses, I will keep an eye on the wearing of the front tires.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:13 PM
aphesian

Just brought my car in today to have the tires replaced under the current TSB, but so far neither the dealer are Nissan are willing to replace the tires. This is the third time I've complained about the excessive road noise (once at 10k miles, once at 14k miles, and now currently at 19.5k miles).

The first two times they basically told me that there was nothing they could do. This time they said that my tires are worn and do definitely need to be replaced, but the pattern of wear does not duplicate what the TSB covers. I don't understand how they can deny there is a problem here and that I should get replacement tires considering I've been dealing with excessive road noise since around 10k miles.

Any suggestions on what steps I can take from here? Nissan is supposed to be calling my dealership tomorrow to get more details on their impressions of the condition of my tires, but they seemed like they had no intentions of replacing them. Getting very tired of having to fight with both dealer in Nissan everytime I want something done that has a TSB out there.

Do the G35's suffer from this same tire problem? The 2005's models are here in December and if Nissan doesn't find a permanent fix soon I'm definitely looking into alternatives.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:51 AM
jons350z

Default Re: Feathering poll

Originally posted by trackstar
Regarding feathering: There have been innumerable posts about feathering, yet I have no quantifiable idea how widespread the problem is.

I am curious as to whether a vocal minority has been blowing the problem out of proportion (not likely); or, if not, just how widespread it is.

I think it would be beneficial to the whole forum if this thread or something similar was parked, and maybe we could get some numbers.

Please vote, it only takes a second!
I have an 04' enthusiast,2000 miles- no feathering, hope it doesn't happen.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:27 AM
ltarnoff

Just bought a used '03 with 6,700 miles and have the problem. Dealer checked it out and is ordering new tires. Service manager says this is a tire problem and that he hasn't had to re-do any. We'll see.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:24 AM
LinkNuc

Default taking mine in Wed.

I'll let ya know...they said it'll be quite a while to adjust the suspension, put new frontas on, however I wentr in @ 17500 and they took 3 hours saying that the suspension was messed up , maybe they corrected it already?
Old 06-20-2004, 02:19 PM
MikeStevens

I went back to my dealer a week ago and after measuring the tire wear they got permission from Nissan to replace the tires. I assume when they get the tires in there'll be an alignment done too. (Seems the stock tire is in short supply). My service department's been good about applying the 03 service bulletins to my 04 Touring, although technically they don't have to yet. I hope this'll fix it for the long term, but I'm not optimistic.

Eventually Nissan'll have to come up with a solution for this front end sensativity to whatever parameters drive the problem. Buy-backs won't do it; market factors will.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:34 PM
dogfish1

Originally posted by trackstar
Over 100 views and about 30 votes. Decent response, but if you take the time to view the post you might as well vote!

Please reply if you think this is a worthwhile endeavor (or not), so we can keep this near the top for a bit. I know it's not the most scientific poll but at least we can get an idea.
Definately worthwhile. While having the front tires replaced at 7,500 miles, I showed the poll to my Nissan dealer and asked him to put a note in my file regarding concerns that the feathering problem was not eliminated.

The dealershp has been good so far and he had no problems doing that.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:21 PM
Luis Tovar

Took my 2003 in yesterday for oil change and a noise I thought was coming from my front rotors ... turned out to be a feathering problem.

The dealer, Concordville Nissan in DE, says the front tires will be replaced and the toe in adjustment will correct the problem for good!!! Not sure about the for sure part, but they stepped up and it makes me feel good that I bought the car from them!

I LUV MY Z!
Old 06-24-2004, 03:23 PM
ricka

I had my 03 tires replaced for feathering on the insides 4.5 months ago, but I now have feathering on the inside and outside of the tires. Trust me the tire pressure has always been correct. Can anyone PLEASE offer adivse on how to resolve this? Dealer is saying the aligmnent is perfect since the feathering is on both sides. I have treated this car w/ the most respect and it shouldn't be happeing.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:26 PM
350zRoadster04

The humming noise from my front tires on my '04 Roadster is driving me crazy. I have nearly 13K miles and have been living with this for the last few months, but the dealer keeps saying that there isn't a problem with the '04s...only the '03s. Is anyone having success getting this issue resolved on '04s? If so, which dealership did you go to?
Old 06-25-2004, 06:05 PM
350zRoadster04

Was at Nissan today getting an oil change and asked my service rep if Nissan had plans to do anything about the tire feathering issue on the '04 model since I had been told before that they were only planning to assist those with '03s. He said, "I can't tell you anything unless you already received the postcard". I said, "What postcard?". He said Nissan is planning to send a postcard to all 350Z owners telling them to come in to get their two front tires replaced free of charge. As long as you have under 20,000 miles, your tires will be replaced, but expect about a 6 week wait because they are replacing so many and they are having trouble getting enough tires in stock.

Has anyone else heard of this? ..and has anyone received this postcard
Old 06-26-2004, 05:52 AM
LinkNuc

I received the "postcard" its a 1 page notice folded in half....waitring on the tires to come in , the n I'll tell you the results
Old 06-28-2004, 06:26 AM
midnight247

Cool The REAL solution to 350Z tire feathering

Hello all!

I am a new member and also an owner of a 350z. I am located in Canada.

I am an aerospace engineer and have looked into the tire feathering problem. I am well versed in vehicle dynamics and suspension.

I have received the tire feathering letter and have taken my car to get the front tires swapped and the alignment done. THIS IS NOT NOT NOT a real fix. The adjustment made by nissan in this notice is regarding the toe in of the vehicle. As many of you may have guessed, from the problem re-occurring after the adjustment being done, this has nothing to do with the feathering/cupping of the front tires. You can perform this service on the vehicle as many times as you would like and never solve the problem.

The real problem is that the vehicles geometry is a little off. This means that the camber angle of the front tires doesn't jive with the struts on the front end. The problem rears it's ugly head on the Z and not the G35 because the struts are different on the Z and not as forgiving as those found on the G35. Hopefully this all makes sense to you guys.

Enough with bad news.

The good news is that there is a REAL FIX for this problem. I have found a set of front control A arms that will, with out a doubt, fix the issue for good. They are from 350EVO. Here is the link where you can find the parts.

https://www.350evo.com/catalog/produ...2a813246504f18

NISSAN ARE YOU LISTENING? The cats out of the bag and you had better deal with this before it gets out of control. Look at your figures!! The cost of replacing the front tires and aligning a car multiple times is higher that just replacing the A arms. You and I, and now everybody on this board, know that you are not fixing the problem with your “Customer Satisfaction Campaign” B.S.. You are going to lose your customers over something that is trivial and easy to fix.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:32 AM
LinkNuc

If this is infact the case (I'm a Nuclear Engineer so I am not as well versed, but still remember most of my Mechanical stuff)...its a nice find...however, if you're just pushing the EVO's than shame on you. But I'll take it at face value and bring it up when the tires finally come in and I can finally get this damn thing fixed.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:55 AM
midnight247

Unhappy

Originally posted by LinkNuc
...however, if you're just pushing the EVO's than shame on you. But I'll take it at face value...
Sorry LinkNuc,

I did not mean to come across as pushing the EVO's. That was not my intention at all. I know that there are other manufactures making this type of part. The only reason that I mentioned the EVO's was because of the part description. It specifically mentions that this will solve "Cupping problems of the front tires" on the 350Z. I felt that it may be advantageous for others to read. It backs my argument as to what the real problem is with our Zs.

I have been reading about the feathering issue for some time and just want to help us all get back to enjoying our 350Z's. I love the car. It's frustrating that NISSAN won't back the Z and just fix the problem. I called NNA and they played dumb (What else is new?). I had a nice long talk with my dealer about this and he finally admitted that I was "probably" right. He told me that NISSAN is not backing this solution at this time and that I would have to wait and see. I know that they are just trying to push past the warranty period. One way or another I am going to fix my Z, I just wish that NISSAN would do the right thing and own up to the design flaw.

Peace!
Old 06-28-2004, 09:28 AM
LinkNuc

Oh, I agree, and I figured you weren't pushing the EVO's..but ya never know, like I said I'll have a talk with my dim witted dealer when the tires finally come in, I'm sure he'll have a real good explanation...yeah right! Anyway, the info you posted is good thanks again!

Quick Reply: Feathering poll